Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-05, 22:44
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default Is low level PCOS possible?

I just wondered, I am very normal in the menstrual cycle fertility area, but I have high insulin levels and a really odd amount of facial hair and hair on my arms-luckily very blond. My doctor is the one that pointed it out to me and has tested my testosterone levels over and over but I always test normal.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-05, 22:53

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

There are all different kinds of PCOS it seems, I just read up on it because I think I have it myself -_- I have some of the hair...which is odd. My periods are heavy and painful
But there are different levels and not everyone has the same issues. You are lucky the hair is blonde!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-05, 22:57
Registered Member

That's interesting I'll have to read up on it too. I was hoping there was some supplement I could take to get rid of the hair. I'm afraid hair removal I'll end up with stubble like whats on my legs.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-05, 23:00

BF:

I wish, I am not sure, I think there is hormone therapy and or electrolisys. I only have sparse hair here and there in odd places. It bugs me though, not like anyone is going to notice it but it is another thing that makes me think that maybe I have PCOS , lol.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-31-05, 00:30
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

http://www.soulcysters.com/

You might want to take a look at this site, it's very interesting and they also have a discussion forum there too, I found this very useful when I first got diagnosed with the condition. I have PCOS too, and there are variants within the illness. You shoudl take a look.
Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-31-05, 19:35

Plan: My Own
Stats: ---/---/--- Female ---
BF:
Progress: 25%

i'm really against the "you have it/you don't have it" mentality: you might have hyperandrogenism without cysts on your ovaries, but that doesn't mean you don't deserve medical care. take charge! if you think you MIGHT have a medical problem, don't wait for a diagnosis. hth.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-01-05, 14:33
Registered Member

Thanks you guys for the responses. I don't much about PCOS other than my doctor thinking there was something going on. I will just moved so will address it when I get a new doctor. Is a gynecologist a good doctor to see?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-01-05, 14:43

BF:

Yesh a gyno would be the best, I have never been to one though, I need to.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-01-05, 18:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/234.8/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 39%

A gyno I think would be fine, but the most knowledgeable in my personal experience is a reproductive endocrinologist. I felt funny making an appointment with mine since fertility isn't an issue with me, but he was great and knew exactly what to look for.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-01-05, 21:49

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

I agree with the reproductive endocrinologist idea. That is basically who has helped me the most. GP's and OB's don't seem to understand PCO too much. All they wanted to do was give me birth control pills. That didn't help much when I was trying to get pregnant.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 06:20

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 201/183/170 Female -
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromom
I agree with the reproductive endocrinologist idea. That is basically who has helped me the most. GP's and OB's don't seem to understand PCO too much. All they wanted to do was give me birth control pills. That didn't help much when I was trying to get pregnant.

Seeing an endocronologist was the best thing I ever did. I think she's the first doctor that ever listened to me! Not just 'heard' me, but listened. I didn't see my OB until after I'd seen her and he knew all about PCOS and it's ailments, but he also said an endo was the best route. My endocronologist has an interest in a metabolic disorders, which is why I chose her.

nawchem, since PCOS is a syndrome, you don't have to have all of the symptoms. It is a very erratic syndrome. Good luck, I hope you get it worked out.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-05, 13:36

Plan: No junk
Stats: 180/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:ha/ha/ha
Progress: 20%

I went to a dermatologist for my skin, and he suggested that I might have PCOS. I had a blood test at my regular md, but my testosterone levels came back normal. It wasn't a fasting test, so that might have something to do with it. I have almost all of the symptoms, so I'm really confused. My derm gave me an antibiotic for my skin, and ALDACTONE which helps with body and facial hair and thinning hair on the head. It was originally created to lower blood pressure, but I don't have that. It's a very safe drug, and has been used for a long time. I haven't noticed it working yet, but we'll see.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-05, 14:22
Registered Member

Well I've found an endo in my area, I'm hypothyroid so I can kill 2 birds with my visit. He came highly recommended so we'll see.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-05, 21:35

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

I'm glad to hear that you are making progress. Let us know what you find out.