Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-12, 07:31

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Hi Joan,
I was vegetarian but ate meat through both of my pregnancies. I craved it. Along with chocolate ice cream LOL. I did much better on the CAD when I was younger. I'm having difficulty doing it now (I'm 56 and in menopause)...from not being able to stick to it to sleep difficulties from low carb eating. I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't have to work full time. I can tolerate wheat a couple times a week but more than that and indigestion gets bad.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-13, 08:50

Well I'm back on the CAD. It took me 5 years to realize that my version of vegetarian was not working and my weight went up instead of down. So, since I'm in menopause, I'm thinking my body is requiring more animal protein during the transition. I'm adding some poultry and fish back and cutting way back on the soy which I think now I have an intolerance to plus it's affecting my thyroid a little slowing my metabolism more.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-13, 09:12

Plan: iDukan, Consolidation
Stats: 174/147/147 Female 5'7"
BF: Goal: < 30%

Hi Mayflowers!

I've been off for a while due to testing. My doctor asked if I wanted to eat wheat for 3 weeks to have a celiac test. Pizza entered my mind and I said, "yes!" Well, I got swollen and achy and gained weight overeating all my old favorites. Now I'm ready to get it out of my system once and for all! I don't have the results of the test yet, but it's more obvious to me now than ever that it's a problem.

My intention was to test my thyroid, which I have suspected all along. Turns out that if you have gluten issues, you're likely to have thyroid issues, both autoimmune disorders. My thyroid test was 'high normal' so my current doctor won't do anything, but I hope to find a doctor that will.

I haven't actually started back with CAD yet, focusing just on getting gluten out right now, but I am making a list of healthier carbs for my RMs. I would like to try to go grain-free like Patricia.

My point was....meats are a must for me, with most grains being the villain, there wouldn't be much left to keep me going! Especially with low thyroid, I think it really helps with strength and energy.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-13, 10:20

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Joan,

If you aren't familiar with it, there is an awesome recipe on the site for a cauliflower crust for pizza, and in my gallery I have a link to a recipe for "cheesey garlic breadsticks" where the 'bread" is riced cauliflower..it is truly delish.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-13, 12:34

Thank you Patricia, I have heard about it but haven't tried it. I have dairy issues, too, so when I'm off gluten, I'm usually off dairy, too. I will have to try the 'breadsticks'.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-13, 07:48

Hi!
I am also gluten intolerant. I just had a blood test a few weeks ago and it came back negative! I guess one has to be a really bad celiac to have it show positive? I know I am intolerant to gluten. I get insane acid reflux, acid indigestion, nausea and stomach pain an hour after I eat it! You must read Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis! I have the Wheat Belly cook book and it easily can fit in the CAD. I love the almond flour pizza crust. It even has yeast in it so it tastes like pizza crust to me. You'll like it way more than the cauliflower crust.

I had to do the same thing I had to give up the wheat first. After a month or two off wheat now I'm starting the CAD again. It's too stressful to do it all at once! I think that's why I was having trouble with the CAD working for me. I wasn't losing anymore. I believe it was the wheat causing the problem.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-13, 08:03

i was doing the full version of CAD all week, but yesterday I did the intermediate version for a meal. We'll see if I lose. My official weigh in day is Sundays. I can't do the 'every day' weigh in. It drives me nuts watching the scale go up and down and I just think it's too OCD.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-13, 09:23

Hi Mayflowers. Were you off gluten when you had the test? I had been off for a few years and back on for only a few weeks. I'm waiting for my results now, but I feel like it is going to be all for nothing! I really want it to show up so that I can convince my doctor that there is a connection and push for further thyroid testing. UGGG!

I actually quit CAD last time because of a traumatic scale fluctuation. It was my fault for over eating at my RM (going back for thirds!), but it discouraged me nonetheless. I gave up weighing myself for Lent and restarted CAD, but then I had to start eating gluten.....thought i could fit it into CAd, but it caused huge cravings and in no time i was totally off plan. I should have told the doctor I gave up gluten for Lent!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-13, 09:44

I haven't read Wheat Belly, but I know it's great! I think it's helping our society realize that gluten is a problem for lots, not just celiacs. I will have to check out the cookbook, thanks!
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-13, 21:10

Gluten antibody test was negative. Still kissing it good-bye. Can't wait to get it all out of my system.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-13, 08:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc
I haven't read Wheat Belly, but I know it's great! I think it's helping our society realize that gluten is a problem for lots, not just celiacs. I will have to check out the cookbook, thanks!

AND it's a message to the scientists to stop playing God and making frankenwheat and other GMO fruits and vegetables. I bet Big Wheat will start to offer "heirloom wheat" products to try to save face and show us that they can bring it back. Dr. Davis said that heirloom wheat was not good for humans to eat either. Which brings us back to WE have to decide what is good for us and do our own research and don't eat things because someone said it's ok to.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-13, 08:50

Smile

Quote:
Gluten antibody test was negative. Still kissing it good-bye. Can't wait to get it all out of my system.

Yea mine was negative too I kept a list of my symptoms that have disappeared since I went wheat free..

Indigestion, sour stomach, pain in my stomach all the time
acid reflux, nausea, acid indigestion, with occass. vomiting.
brain fog, depression, sadness, irritability (I'm a real B on wheat) also get it when I stop wheat and gluten … as withdrawals for a few days sometimes a few weeks in the begining when I first gave it up.
No focus and concentration, lethargy - no energy and sleepy all the time
Feminine rash, Mentally affected, and blurred vision, plus I just crave more and I'm never satisfied..I just want more wheat products..I was more hungry all the time. Off wheat, my appetite is normal which feels really weird because you get used to being hungry and craving all the time as a norm. Now I'm like eh, I'll eat if I get hungry. It's a nice feeling. I have that even not on the CAD. I like the CAD because it controls my sugar intake. I need CAD control for that.

Last edited by Mayflowers : Sat, Mar-23-13 at 08:59.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-13, 10:37

All those symptoms went away? That's very encouraging. I know my stomach issues go away without wheat, but I never connected it to my moods, duh, I should have.

I am very excited to get it out of my system now and feel better. I had been allowing small amounts here and there out of convenience, but no more!

By the way, my in-law's dog is gluten-free. The vet told them that her breed is highly sensitive to gluten and that's why she has rashes and itching. They immediately switched her to an expensive dog food. Didn't feel the need to prove it with a blood test.

Last edited by JoanD'Arc : Sat, Mar-23-13 at 12:45.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-13, 11:18

Quote:
By the way, my in-law's dog is gluten-free. The vet told them that her breed is highly sensitive to gluten and that's why she has rashes and itching. They immediately stitched her to an expensive dog food. Didn't feel the need to prove it with a blood test.

Yes all those symptoms. I used to have soy sauce and a little bit but I just totally stopped all of it too. La Choy Soy Sauce has no wheat in it. I've been using that for a long time. I'm going to check my cat's food for gluten. Thanks for the tip. I have a sick cat with cancer. Maybe it will help her.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-13, 12:45

Oh , sorry about your cat. Maybe a totally grain-free food would be best. Worth a try.