Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 12:34

Plan: Don't know
Stats: 260.2/254.2/150 Female 68in
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default CAD/CALP Support

I had suggested a CAD support/focus group forum, and it was suggested that I start a CAD thread first and see how it goes.

I can't think of an issue right now though, so I'll tell about my CAD experiences.

I was following Atkins starting 09/01/01 and lost 12 lbs in a month and then it slowed so much that it was probably less than 1/2lb a week. My resolve faltered and I was unable to be consistent enough to test what was causing the problem. Since October I've been bouncing back and fourth between 174 and 181.

I wanted to start over, but I decided to read Protein Power to try to give myself more information/motivation. I went to the library to get PP, but it was checked out. Rather then drive to the other branch, I decided to read CAD first.

I thought it sounded too good to be true and was very skeptical. So I came here and did keyword searches on CAD. I read some of the old threads and realized quickly that the tips being given on CAD were not what I had read. So I went back to the library and got CALP. This explained everything. I understand now how CAD works and why I wasn't losing weight.

I've been on CAD for less than a week and seem to be losing weight already. I will not get my hopes up though until I get below 174.

For me, what is making CAD work so far, is the knowledge that I can have that cookie, if I really want it, with dinner. It was so much easier to snub the doughnuts this morning, knowing that I can eat one later if I want to. Of course by then I won't want to. I was the pressure of NEVER being allowed to do what I want that was causing me to give up hope.

Plus I learned the damage that anything sweet can do to me, even just a nibble. I would think that a little piece of frosting had no carbs and couldn't hurt me. I didn't realize what just a taste does to my body chemically.

Would anyone on CAD like to share, ask a question, or give me some advice?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-01, 08:05

Plan: cad/calp
Stats: 200/186/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default I'm trying Cad/Calp

hi, I picked up the Cad/Calp books yesterday and read them. I've been on atkins for 28 days . Lost 10 lbs on the induction but nothing since. I retain water from all the salty foods and pork rinds and nuts Etc. Also all the artificial sweetner in the muffins,bread etc. So I had toast and bacon because i had to go shopping (toast was atkins) and I had an advantage bar with water.when i got home and started reading. I had tuna salad with pork rinds for lunch. After reading the book, I went for the reward meal at supper. I had Sonny's barbecue, fries and bread and coleslaw,diet jello c topping for dessert and nothing else. this morning I had lost 1/2 lb. So I'm going to try for 2 weeks and see what happens. lots of luck to you. You can check my journal T-Z. Wawtigress
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-01, 09:20

Plan: Don't know
Stats: 260.2/254.2/150 Female 68in
BF:
Progress: 5%

Good. I will check out your journal. I went back to 180 again last night and I'm really disappointed. But I'm going to be more patient this time and do the weight averaging like they say to do. I haven't seen 181 like I did a week ago and I really need to chill out. Say I have only lost 1 lb... yea, I lost 1 lb? I have a hard time looking at the bright side sometimes.
Maybe I need to cut down on coffee/cream too.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-01, 17:18

BF:
Default getting started on CAD

hang in there. I like the concept better than protein power or atkins which i was on.I was very satisfied all day on the protein i had before my dinner. then enjoyed my reward. Eating a large salad before the rest of the meal made me eat only about a tablespoon of the other items on my plate . I'll list what i had to-morrow morning on my journal. If i lose 1lb a week ,I'll be very happy.I didn't have the swelling today like i've had.Wawtigress
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-01, 06:38

BF:
Default 2 lb. loss

Looks like i'm out here all alone but that is okay, I've lost 2 lbs in the past week and feel absolutely fantastic. I enjoy my meals so much better on CAD and it is a way of life i can live with.see you around. Wawtigress
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 20:05
Pending Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 314/306.6/299
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hi! I just found this forum - what a great site! Anyway, I have been on CALP more or less for a year. I have PCOS and needed to do something to reduce my insulin. My insulin resistance is so bad my doc actually thought the lab had made an error in my test results! I have had minimal weight loss, but that is due to my still-high insulin - I'm working on that with meds (Metformin) - but in the meantime, I feel soooo much better. It's indescribable! My blood pressure is now normal; my cholesterol is low-normal with very high "good" cholesterol; I have no more mood swings; I have energy all the time; and the best reason yet - I have been able to go off all prescription anti-depressants! So, in so many ways other than weight loss, this plan has been a god-send to me.

Recently, I have begun restricting wheat at RMs - It's not long enough to guage whether this will help weight loss or not, but it can't hurt.

Glad to have found another CAD/CALP forum! And best wishes to all of you with it. I love it!

Squeezle (Lori in Brisbane, Aus)
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 06:37

BF:
Default Hi Squeegle

Hi, I hope I got your name right.Forgive me if I didn't. I switche over to Cad/Calp because I couldn't handle all the salt on the other diet and the imitation food as I call it . I have felt so much better since I changed and back to normal foods. I did atkins induction and lost 10 lbs but went another 2-3 weeks and nothing and I was worried about my blood pressure.then I switched to this diet and tomorrow is my last day on the entry phase. Hopefully , I'll have lost 1-2 lbs. I keep the chart so I will know how i'm doing .You can check out my journal t-z if you would like. Please keep in touch. You can probably give me some important info. I'm thinking of getting the GTF chromium and take it for my insulin just in case. My daughter is changing over also to this diet and try it for a couple of weeks . She too was on atkins and lost about the same amount of weight then nothing and she can't stand the soy flour ,etc. and his diet is expensive. I've never been to the health food store so much.Keep up the good work and let us hear from you. Wawtigress
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 16:09
Pending Member

Stats: 314/306.6/299
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default previous Atkinser

Wawtigress,

Thanks for your welcome! I was also on Atkins too - for 6 months. I ended up with a net GAIN of 2kgs by the end of it, so that was not successful for me. I also found it to be very depriving - I love to be able to eat a "normal" RM on CALP and thus, for me that is why I have been able to stick with it longer than any other WOE I have ever been on. This is why different plans have been developed - there is no "cookie-cutter" solution for everyone!

I would be pleased to check out your journal. I am considering starting one here too. I feel I have the "rules" of CALPing down very well since I've been doing it for so long. I am also a member of 2 other CAD e-lists, one moderated by a woman who is a personal friend of the Hellers, so she gets answers to questions straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.

So nice to "meet" you!

Squeezle (Lori in Brisbane, Aus)
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 06:07

BF:
Default Thanks for comments Squeezle

I ended my 2 weeks entry an lost 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. I haven't did my average yet. But I'm pleased. If I can lose weight and eat a decent meal once a day of real food then I'm happy. It would be great if you started a journal as a long timer so we can see how you do it. keep in touch. Wawtigress
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 01:55

Stats: 286.65/254.3/165
BF:
Progress: 27%

fancy meeting you here, Lori!
i just wrote you a message about this thread but I can see you have found it!
Hi eveyone else.
Does everyone else keep journals?
Hope you don't mind if I pop in for visits/ ideas/ inspirations?
So far I going well. I think the scale is going downwards. I just have to do that average thing for the week in a couple of days!
see ya
kezza
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 06:07

BF:
Default keep the journal and weight chart

Keeping the weight chart is very important. My weight went up and down but by averaging ,at the end of the two weeks ,I had lost 1 1/2 lbs and another llb this am. Wawtigress
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 12:42

BF:

Just dropping by to say 'g'day' and just wanted to say that I'm REALLY enjoying this CALp diet.
It seems so easy and simple and I've noticed that the shopping bill is lower since I don't need those special low carb snacks I was consuming on Atkins.
I hope everyone is going well!
see ya
kezza
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 06:31

BF:
Default Same here

kezza, you're right about all the expensive items on the other diet (atkins). I noticed a big difference in not having to buy specialty items.Wawtigress
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 04:26

BF:
Smile BUT I do need to make sure I have Salad!

Another thing I have noticed about my shopping list is I Do need to buy a lettuce every few days and maybe an extra cucumber but that is still cheaper than buying the following;
-diet drinks
-diet choc bars
-speciality cheeses
- nuts
-extra cold cuts of meat
So if I spend more money on salad and veges that is fine!
I'm still ahead!
see ya
kezza
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 06:17

BF:
Default Back down to 186

Hi everyone.after the battle with the white bread,my weight has dropped back to 186. So if you have a culprit out there ,find it and do away with it.keep up the good work everyone . CAD/CALP does work if you follow the rules.I feel great and no hunger pangs.Happy dieting day to all.Wawtigress