Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-09, 08:56

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hope you can clear this up for me.... time between meals

I'm new to food combining, so please bare with me

I read Fit for Life by Harvey Diamond as well as done alot of reading here and other sites on the net about food combining. I understand that protein based meals should not be eaten within 3 hours of a carb based meal/snack. Okay, I got that, but if I eat a protein based meal, and according to Fit for Life, we should not eat but one protein, so let's use chicken in this example. So I eat chicken with cauliflower and a side salad. 2 hours later I'm hungry and would like a snack............ can I eat a boiled egg or do I have to wait 3 to 4 hours for the chicken to digest? I know I shouldn't eat anything carb-based for the full time, but can I have a different protein?

Also, does Somers and Montignac's plan also not allow but one protein at a time or is this only the Fit for Life rule? I ask that because I love to have broccolli and cheese on the side of my meat for dinner, or a little cheese in my side salad but on Diamond's rules, I couldn't mix the meat and the cheese at one meal.

Last edited by LAwoman75 : Tue, Sep-08-09 at 15:24.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-09, 15:16

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I have never heard of the only one type of protein rule so I think it must be only Fit for Life. In Montignac's, Hay and the one I'm doing Slimming World you can have more than one protein at a meal (but not mix them with carbs.) Cheese is a fatty food and under hays it can be mixed with meats so if you are prepared to bend Diamond's rules a little at least Hay will back you up!

I see in the Hay diet (I have the book in front of my now) that all nuts (except peanuts) are neutral. You could therefore have some nuts as a between meal snack.

I hope this helps.

Robert
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-09, 15:27

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks so much, that actually does help me. I am one to tweak a diet, so knowing that others allow for more than one protein and that nuts are allowed gives me a little wiggle room there. In Fit for Life, nuts are considered a concentrated food just as proteins and you are only allowed one at a time.