Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 08:24

Plan: Stillman's
Stats: 250/237/125
BF:
Progress: 10%
Question Surgeries and Diets

Hey yall!
The last time I was on a diet...I ended up getting really sick with gall stones and had to have my gall bladder taken out. I know that sounds really nasty but the doctors told me that it was because of my diet. I also lost a lot of my hair so my hair is really thin now. Will this happen to me again if I am on this diet too long. I know I can't get my gall bladder taken out again....but will I get sick again? Is there a chance of something else to happen to me? Thanks for the help, cowgurl
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 16:31
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi cowgurl, welcome aboard

Ugghh, sorry you went through the rough time there. Not nice at all. Yes, very lowFAT, low calorie diets are notorious for causing gallbladder disease and stone formation. I've explained this in detail to a member previously, click here to read it.

Fat is such a vital nutrient, but it's only in the last decade or so that researchers have discovered how important it really is. The role of essential fatty acids in preventing illness, maintaining good health and even aiding weight LOSS is only now being understood. Essential fats are just that .. essential. You must get them from food, your body cannot make them itself. Long term fatty acid deficiency is believed to be at the root of many chronic illnesses .. such as arthritis, skin and hair problems, ADHD in children, depression, hormonal problems (male and female), cholesterol, heart disease .. and more.

The reason I'm mentioning fatty acid deficiency is because I notice from your profile that you've chosen the Stillman diet as your long term weight loss program. Many low-carbers resort to the Stillman plan as a brief stall-breaker when following another plan such as Atkins or Protein Power. It really is not meant as a long term eating plan. The Stillman plan was developed in the 1960's, and yes it was and still is successful for quick, short-term dieting. I have the actual original book, not just the brief webpage, which is what many people refer to. The thing is ... little was known way back then about the important role of fats. Fats were regarded as little more than empty calories, and provided some padding and insulation on our bodies.

I can tell you from personal experience that the Stillman plan gets boring, and eventually the appetite is blunted to the point where it's an effort to eat more than 500 or 600 calories a day. Stillman was quite a promoter of semi-starvation diets ... but in his own words he admitted they were for the short term only, a week or so. When you chronically eat below a certain level ... 1100 - 1200 calories for the average person, your metabolism will slow to match the decreased energy supply. It works against you in the long run, because the more you starve yourself, the slower your motor will run. It will become impossible to lose fat. Your body will hang on to every fat cell because it thinks there's a famine.

I think you'd enjoy more long term success with a carb-restricted program such as Atkins, Thin for Good or Protein Power for example. Check your local library, I have no doubt they'll have a copy of at least one of these that you can borrow .. I totally understand your desire to lose weight quicly .. and you CAN have good results by eating more quality fats .. real butter, olive oil, egg yolks, natural cheese, cream, the skin from chicken, pork cracklin's .. nuts, olives, avocados ... and 20 grams' worth of carbohydrates from salads and vegetables. Without the bad side effects to your health. Plus, you're less likely to be bored (the eternal diet-killer )

That being said, the Stillman plan will certainly be a good jump-start to your weight loss ... and an easy transition to another long term low-carb program.

Hope there's something helpful here for you!

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 22:48

Plan: Stillman's
Stats: 250/237/125
BF:
Progress: 10%

Thanks for the help. I will have to check those books out. I am going to try and do a combination of them. What I am pretty much doing is cutting the starches out like breads. I am still eating some veggies and milk products just not as much of them. I am glad to hear though that I shouldn't go through as much as I went through before. And I will watch this time to make sure I don't do it again. Thanks again..Cowgurl