Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-01, 23:26

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default Has anyone had "TOM" forever during LC?

I started Atkins 25 days ago and about two weeks ago I got "TOM," and he is still here. I'm on the pill and when TOM came I still had TWO WEEKS before he was supposed to come????? I'm not sure what's going on...I thought when you diet, TOM goes away...
I was thinking about going to the Health Center on my college campus, but thought TOM would probably be a problem during the examination, if you get my drift.
I'm not that worried about it, but maybe I should? I was just curious if anyone has experienced similiar problems during LCing (so I could figure out what the cause of two week TOM is)?

Thanks for any info
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-01, 14:04

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default diet

from my experience, whenever i am under a lot of stress, or drastically change my diet, (woe), tom doesn't react very well. tom is the typical tom. doesn't like change, always coming around when he's not invited, and sometimes throwing a wrench in, just when you wanted to have fun.

don't worry. if it occurs for more than 3 months, then i would have it checked.
good luck
Brenda
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-01, 15:08

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Erin, this is not uncommon when you start this WOL; specially if you're on the pill. From what i've gathered it has a lot to do with estrogen and fat cells. Estrogen is being released by your fat cells along with fat and its effecting your cycle. There as a very long thread about this a while back, here it is; if nothing else it should alleviate your concerns as you'll see what you're going through has happened to many people on this board.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...t=TOM+and+cycle

HTH
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-01, 17:45

Thanks soooo much for the info. I wasn't that worried about it (to the point to travel to the dr's), but there was a concern in the back of my mind about when it would be OVER...Tom is not my bf or anything, but atleast he was visiting (and NO babies).
That info was very very helpful. I had read the term "Tom" posted in several threads and got the clue to what it meant, but I didn't think a search for "tom" would be successful. I guess I was wrong. Thanks again for the info.

I have seriously learned that when in doubt, search first on this site. There is soo much info out there

Thanks again. Happy LCing
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-01, 11:02

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 270/205/160 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default My TOM is wacky, too!

Erin,<p>
Your post just made me feel a lot better. I started LCing on 10/09/01 and have been visited by TOM twice since then. The first time started with spotting over a week early, but I finished the pack anyway and then TOM really went to town and stayed a few days longer than normal. This week, I'm pretty sure he's full-fledged today and also not due to arrive until this Sunday. I think it must be something to do with fat cells and estrogen levels, but I wouldn't worry about it. <p>Annoying though TOM may be when he decides to visit early and overstays his welcome
<br>
Dani
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-01, 11:39

Default Tom is still out of control here....

My situation has been that half way through my cycle (I actually started lcing at the beginning of a cycle too), TOM comes and he does not leave until I restarted my pill. This has happened for the two months I've lced - and yes that mean 6 weeks of TOM over a period of 8.

I went to the GYNO yesterday and spoke with a nurse that really did not give me any answers. I really wanted to make sure that the pill was still working correctly. So I asked her if increased estrogen levels can cause the pill not to work as well...she had not idea, but I am on a really low level pill already so we bumped me up, just in case.

This RN actually had the nerve to say to me "A study like that (to test the effects of Lcing, and the increased estrogen, and its affects to the effectiveness to the pill), probably wouldn't be approved to be done...I mean that's like approving a study to give pregnant woman alcohol." I wanted to kill her...I feel that I'm constantly on the defensive about this diet and I know...that this woman (and the majority of people that are not supportive) have NOT read any books about LCing and think I only eat fats and read meats.

I wanted to say to this woman (that was definitely 100 lbs over weight). "I probably eat more healthly during one meal that you eat over a year. Gets some facts b/c you obviously have not idea what you're talking about." Sorry to vent sooo much...it just makes me mad.

Well, back to the situation at hand...I still have tom hanging around...I'll let you know what happens next month.

Erin
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-01, 19:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/166/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%
Could be related to LC; however, I am one with many problems with my ovaries and am VERY careful with bleeding and pain.

My recommendation is to call your ob/gyn and tell them the problem. You might want to make sure you don't have a fluid cyst on your ovary that has ruptured. This would cause bleeding.
If you are having severe pain in your ovaries at any time of the month, I'd get it checked out with an ultrasound. (Fluid cysts are quite normal and any doctor or nurse can talk to you about it)

Don't want to scare you , but I've been through it all with tumors and cysts and believe me, you don't want to wait 8 months like I did (I ended up with a 9 cm tumor inside my ovary that could have been prevented if I had just listened to my body.
)

Best of luck,

Chris
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-01, 20:52

Default Thanks Chris,

I think my problem is definitely "period only" oriented b/c I have no pain and since the same thing has happened over the two months it like my period (ie two weeks into the cycle). Also, the RN, however ignorant, seemed to not think it was a problem (when I saw her on monday).

Thanks for your concern / and I'm glad to know some symptoms to look out for in case there is another prob. Thanks

E