Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-13-14, 13:39

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Exclamation Another awful Yahoo! story today about the bad carbs that are good for us?!

https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-liv...-152100770.html

Corn, banas, sourdough bread, green peas, white potatoes, cereal? All of these things they claim are now GOOD for us? It goes against everything you guys have taught me here, and in the books I read, the research I've done.

Another time now I am disappointed with Yahoo!! And all these years I've touted how I <3 Yahoo!! Now THIS?!

Are they just tossing up on their page any old story because they can't find something else to put up there?

Why, Yahoo!, WHY?!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-13-14, 13:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I guess they have to go with whoever sponsors them??? - but its all complete nonsense. And it was that nonsense that I read that made sure I spent most of my adult life overweight, unhappy and in pain - cos I stupidly believed it!

Jo xxx
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-13-14, 17:23

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

The worst thing about educating yourself? You read the "news" (or worse, watch it on the teevee) and realize "wow, they don't have a CLUE what they are talking about, and are obviously just saying what they are told to by their presstitute puppet masters!" Then you read or see something about a subject you have no knowledge of, and realize its just as likely they got THAT wrong too.

I stay away from the news. It makes the world look like a rather bleak place. And not because of the "violence and greed!" That they are trying to sell me to keep me afraid and dependent.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-15-14, 18:33

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH
I stay away from the news. It makes the world look like a rather bleak place.

Me too. I may not always know what's going on in the world, but I can't do anything about it anyway. Even my husband, who listens to the news more than I do, has started noticing the sensationalism - "X MAY cause horrible result Y!"
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-19-14, 20:58

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Honestly, the vast nutritional ignorance out there is beyond astounding. When I read stuff like in the first post about what to eat, I tune out immediately. Another term that sets me off is "healthy whole grains." It's a mantra with some people.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-21-14, 07:36

Plan: Keto
Stats: 227.7/211.8/160 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default 6 'Bad' Carbs that Are Actually Good for You

This was on the yahoo front page this morning...I shuddered reading it - especially the cereal comment and "whole grains" I'm currently reading "Wheat Belly" and its scaring the crap out of me!

https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-liv...-152100770.html

6 'Bad' Carbs that Are Actually Good for You
By Health.com | Healthy Living – Mon, May 12, 2014 11:21 AM EDT

by Leslie Barrie

Thanks to popular low-carb diets, these carb-heavy healthy foods have been unfairly blacklisted. But there's no need to be scared of spuds or ban bananas. We're setting the record straight-dig in guilt-free!

Corn
Corn gets a bad rap because it's frequently found in packaged, processed food that can be void of nutrients. But real, straight-up corn is a healthy whole grain, points out Jessica Levinson, RD, a New York City-based nutritionist. "It's a good source of fiber, vitamin C, and the antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin, which promote healthy vision," she says. Grill corn on the cob, heat up popcorn or top a salad with fresh kernels.

Bananas
It's bananas to think that nature's perfect portable snack could have ever gotten labeled as bad for you, just because of its carbs and sugar content. "The fruit is a good source of vitamin B6, manganese, potassium, and fiber," says Henderson. And when slightly unripe, bananas are also a good source of slimming resistant starch. Snack on them whole, pop them into smoothies, or even use them as a substitution for fats in baking.

Breakfast cereal
There's no need to shun a bowlful of flakes. Many cereals are made with whole grains these days, so they can be a healthy way to start your day. Just check the label: Look for a short ingredients list with whole grains at the top and at least 3 grams of fiber and no more than 10 grams of sugar per serving.

White potatoes
We know we're supposed to limit white bread, white rice and white pasta. Somehow potatoes got swept up in that ban, too. "White potatoes are actually very good for you," says Christian Henderson, RD, a New York City-based nutritionist. "They're a great source of potassium and vitamin C, and they have almost 4 grams of fiber with the skin on-15 percent of your recommended daily allowance." As an alternative to the classic sour cream-slathered baked potato, try cutting potatoes into cubes, tossing them with olive oil and rosemary, and roasting until crisp.
Sourdough Bread
You don't always have to pick whole wheat. Traditional sourdough is made through a process of fermentation, so it contains beneficial bacteria known as probiotics. "When these good bacteria are present in the bread-making process they help break down some of the gluten, so sourdough may actually be easier on gluten intolerant people than other gluten-containing breads," Henderson says. "They also lower your insulin response and make some nutrients more readily available for digestion."

Green peas
Sure, they're higher in carbs and sugar than non-starchy vegetables-they're even on some low carb diets' "foods to avoid" lists. "But peas are a great source of phytonutrients with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activity," Henderson says. One in the spotlight is coumestrol, which has been shown to potentially protect against stomach cancer, Henderson adds. A cup of cooked green peas also boasts more than 7 grams of filling fiber. Eat them straight up or in soups or salads, or add dried peas to a trail mix.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-21-14, 08:00
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Everything on this list is an absolute no-no for me. My body can't take the insulin spike associated with eating them in any quantity. So definitely not good for me. For those who don't have a carb craving problem and have bodies that better deal with high Glycemic Index foods, I can see some of the natural foods on this list being included in their diet so long as appropriate levels of fat and protein are also included. I'd say that "good for you" might be pushing it - here are better options out there. But breakfast cereal "good for you"? Really?? Not on this planet.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-21-14, 08:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
This was on the yahoo front page this morning...

Exactly why I don't read anything at Yahoo.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-21-14, 08:15

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Two words: Pure Propaganda.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-21-14, 08:36

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

I can eat half an ear of corn on the cob, or an equivalent of potato, but not the same day, and not regularly. Blood Glucose does not seem affected. I would probably have a small serving of freshly picked green peas, but only grow snow peas (you eat the pods and all.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-21-14, 08:39

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Traditional sourdough bread wasn't washed down with a coke. There may have been occasional honey etc., but probably not 100 pounds plus a year per person.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3621840/#!po=25.0000

Quote:
Fiber-free white flour with fructose offers a better model of metabolic syndrome

This is in rats, 60 percent fructose diet... refined wheat was worse, doesn't mean whole wheat was good. Most rodent chows contain wheat... a possible confounder. We already know standard chow, without all that fructose, doesn't cause metabolic syndrome in these rodents. Context matters. Take a traditional diet high in fruit that doesn't cause modern disease. There are also traditional diets high in wheat that didn't cause metabolic syndrome. The two harmless traditional diets don't necessarily predict what happens when you mix and match.

edited; brain-farted symbol for syndrome.

Last edited by teaser : Wed, May-21-14 at 10:44.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-21-14, 09:14

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

It reads like a sales pitch. It reminds me of another Yahoo article that reads like a sales pitch: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=460180

Let's see.

Jessica Levinson is paid-for by various industry groups, including Coca Cola, Corn Refiners Association and Lipitor. Sells nutrition services: http://www.nutritioulicious.com/about/

Christian Henderson pushes plants-as-food, agrees with Pollan. Sells nutrition services: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-1877...-Nutrition.html

Ya. Sales pitch all the way. Can't wait to read Yahoo's sales pitch next week! I think it could be pushback for this: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=460210

Consider what that book contains. I didn't read it, but I assume it damns all kinds of carbs, including grains, fruits, potatoes, etc. It's understandable that industry groups that feel targeted by that book will push back. Those individuals cited in the two Yahoo bits likely didn't get together on their own, nor did the article authors put it together of their own initiative. No matter, if those Yahoo bits is the best they can do, we're winning.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-21-14, 10:17

Plan: Keto
Stats: 227.7/211.8/160 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

Wow - I couldn't figure out why my post was moved until I realized that yahoo ran this story 8 days ago and someone already posted it. Seems they are really pushing this message....