Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-14, 14:31

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%
Default Do we REALLY need vegetables?

Quote:
The idea that vegetables are an essential part of a healthy diet has been hammered into our collective consciousness by every authority out there. Parents, teachers, scientists, government health “experts” all stress the importance of eating your veggies. Problem is, they also told us that butter would kill us, margarine would save us, animal protein would give us cancer, and animal fat would give us heart disease. They said we should jog for an hour a day three days a week, that deadlifts would hurt our backs, and that we need to wear shoes with “good arch support.” Basically, conventional wisdom gets it wrong an awful lot of the time, so what should we think about the CW regarding vegetables? It’s a fairly common query I receive from readers:

Do you really need to eat vegetables – or plant matter in general – to be healthy?

Yes. Yes, you do. Maybe not a huge amount, necessarily. But you do need some.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/do-y.../#ixzz2tKUmLA00

Quote:
Mark Sisson is the author of The Primal Blueprint, and the blog Mark's Daily Apple. His blog is a great reference, and I like his work. However, I take exception to the article he posted this week entitled Do You Really Need to Eat Vegetables to Be Healthy?

Although he admits at the end that you probably don't need them, this admission has much less prominence than the section near the top where he says

"Yes. Yes, you do. Maybe not a huge amount, necessarily. But you do need some."
Then he goes on to make some arguments for eating vegetables that I'd like to address.

http://www.empiri.ca/2014/02/respon...rtion-that.html

And:

Quote:
Mark's Daily Apple is *mostly* a source of good info, but the "mostly" part is typically toward those who desperately need to abandon SAD or die.

Now and then though there's topics where he/they tread perhaps a bit further than they should - considering the somewhat mainstream appeal and influence they have.

http://forum.zeroinginonhealth.com/...ead.php?tid=102

What say you?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-14, 14:58
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb (30-40 g/day)
Stats: 155/125/125 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think it's good to include some vegetables in the diet to balance the acidity of meat and other animal products. There's also something to be said for the phytochemicals they contain. However, I don't think they need to be consumed in large amounts, particularly on a low-carbohydrate diet. I eat a small portion of nonstarchy vegetables at most meals.

That being said, some people tolerate plant matter better than others. I love Amber's work at ketotic.org and empire.ca. I realize that she only consumes meat and seems healthy. But as a dietitian, it's hard for me to wrap my head around eating no vegetables whatsoever. And although it's technically a fruit, avocados are one of my mainstays, and I honestly can't imagine never eating them again.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-14, 15:17

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

I'm currently rereading one of my favorite novels, Caleb Carr's The Alienist. In the book, which takes place in 1896 New York, the main characters go to Delmonico's, one of the first fine dining establishments in the U.S.. Except for the booze and dessert (deep fried pears) the entire multi-course meal consists of meat. In fact, the only vegetables that anyone eats in the book are potatoes.

I like most vegetables. If I want some, I'll eat them, but I don't think the lack of them on a regular basis affects my health.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-14, 15:36

I like Sisson, I really do, but I think this is a hedge-betting of the highest order.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-14, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandalayVA
I'm currently rereading one of my favorite novels, Caleb Carr's The Alienist. In the book, which takes place in 1896 New York, the main characters go to Delmonico's, one of the first fine dining establishments in the U.S.. Except for the booze and dessert (deep fried pears) the entire multi-course meal consists of meat. In fact, the only vegetables that anyone eats in the book are potatoes.

I like most vegetables. If I want some, I'll eat them, but I don't think the lack of them on a regular basis affects my health.

I have that book, now I want to dig it out and read it
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-14, 16:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think in cultures where they don't eat many veggies, they eat a whole lot of organ meats and marrow. I happen to like veggies so I eat them. I'm not sure there's really an definitive answer as to whether we must eat them, or what we should be eating if we don't eat them. But I am pretty sure just eating muscle meat isn't going to cover all your bases.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-14, 16:09

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Is it impossible to be well nourished (micronutrient-wise) without vegetables? I don't think so. Is it easier? It seems to be, judging from fitday.

I've never managed to eat enough spinach to knock me out of ketosis. I don't see any obvious dangers, and there's possible benefits, so we're on good terms.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-14, 16:12

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

I suspect that this is one of those "your mileage may vary" type of things. I used to eat a ton of veggies, but mostly of the starchy variety. Now on most days I eat a big green salad at one meal, and fairly often another low-carb veggie like broccoli at another meal. I don't know if I "need" them, but I feel out of sorts if I miss eating a salad for more than a day or two.

I'm sure our Paleo ancestors had long stretches of not eating any vegetables at all. And, of course, there's always the example of the Inuit.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-14, 16:18
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default do we *need* vegetables?

I've read the science and understood a long time ago that humans don't technically "need" plant foods .. as long as our animal-based diet is varied and includes plenty of fat, some offal/organ meats (not just muscle tissue), and is sourced from a variety of species -- land animals, fish and fowl .. and eggs.

However, just because we don't "need" plant foods doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't enjoy them . I mean, we don't have a biological need for garlic, for herbs & spices, for good Dijon mustard, robust dark-roast coffee or a delicate green tea. But my oh my life would hardly be worth living without them.

IMO, of course .
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-14, 16:37

But any time we say we can't do well soley on muscle meats, The Bear comes to mind. If I remember right, he very rarely ate organ meats, over a period of decades. And we now have other folks that have eaten an overwhelmingly muscle meat diet, approaching a decade, some for longer. Are they outliers? I dunno
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-14, 19:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl
But any time we say we can't do well soley on muscle meats, The Bear comes to mind. If I remember right, he very rarely ate organ meats, over a period of decades. And we now have other folks that have eaten an overwhelmingly muscle meat diet, approaching a decade, some for longer. Are they outliers? I dunno

The Bear and others were eating RIBEYE!, which has a ton of fat. Also the Bear ate dairy and you're right, I never read anything he wrote that mentioned organ meats.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-14, 19:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl

Lots of vegans do pretty well for decades too.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-14, 19:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

I firmly believe that genetics determine how long you live regardless of diet. I also believe that if one does well eating a particular way, go for it. Just like religion, there is No One Way when it comes to eating.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-14, 19:40
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
I've read the science and understood a long time ago that humans don't technically "need" plant foods .. as long as our animal-based diet is varied and includes plenty of fat, some offal/organ meats (not just muscle tissue), and is sourced from a variety of species -- land animals, fish and fowl .. and eggs.

However, just because we don't "need" plant foods doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't enjoy them . I mean, we don't have a biological need for garlic, for herbs & spices, for good Dijon mustard, robust dark-roast coffee or a delicate green tea. But my oh my life would hardly be worth living without them.

IMO, of course .

Eggactly, Doreen!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-14, 20:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

True; I've become firmly convinced no one woe is right for everyone.