Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#331   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-09, 22:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/185/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 74%

Here's an item with pork dewlap in it

Seasoned Pork Lard With Pork Added 450g

Oh wow, lots of goodies on this site. headcheese, cured chopped pork (with pork skin), etc.
Sponsored Links
  #332   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 00:02

Plan: atkins-y paleo-y
Stats: 164.2/125.2/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 99%

Here is an interesting account of pork dewlap.

http://www.slashfood.com/tag/pork+dewlap/
  #333   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 01:17

Plan: Pregnancy / Dr. K / SCD
Stats: 160/000/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 640%

Regarding "wrong nutrition," JK talks about 3 different types of diets:

Pasture = high carb, low fat, adequate protein (e.g., traditional Japanese diet)

Piggish = lots of carbs, lots of fat, probably too much protein; basically eating whatever looks good (e.g., standard contemporary Western diet)

Optimal = high fat, low carb, adequate protein

While pasture isn't great, piggish is supposed to be a lot worse, because you're "mixing the two fuels." When people are in this condition, their bodies are so messed up that some foods that would be good for an optimal eater, could actually be dangerous for them.

According to JK, if you're not willing to go LC, you'd be better off going to the other extreme, i.e. over 60% carbohydrate. That way, your body will at least know what to do with the fuel it's given. "Taking the middle ground" is considered the worst approach.
  #334   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 02:29

Plan: Moderate Protein Atkins
Stats: 175/160/165 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 150%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangolina
According to JK, if you're not willing to go LC, you'd be better off going to the other extreme, i.e. over 60% carbohydrate. That way, your body will at least know what to do with the fuel it's given. "Taking the middle ground" is considered the worst approach.

Well there's the isocaloric diet (33/33/33) or the Zone diet (40/30/30) with almost as many carbs as fats, but honestly I know people on these diets that are vibrantly healthy and have perfect blood and lipid profiles. I think the problem is when you mix a lot of fat with a lot of sugar, (and a lot of everythig means also a lot of calories) which is what the contemporary western diet is doing.
  #335   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 05:59

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
That's right Merpig. That's why I keep a count of the grams of proteins and carbs but not the fat. I'm allowed as much fat as I want

OK, so you're not actually following the Dr. K fat ratio then, eh? Hey, whatever works! But in the meantime I'm going to *try* to keep within the recommended ratios, as suggested here earlier, before I start thinking about things like tweaks. I just wish I weren't so darn hungry all the time! Being hungry all the time is one of those things I associate with unsustainable low-fat diets.

Although in the case of low-fat I felt hungry and *rotten*. On this diet I feel hungry all the time, but also healthy. I guess there *is* something to the idea that protein satisfies hunger (as the Eades say). When I was eating double or better the amount of protein I could drop as low as 1200 calories and not feel hungry a bit. Here on the Optimal plan my calories have been over 2000 every day and the hunger never goes away!
  #336   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 06:04

BF:

Quote:
About calorie restriction: The books say very clearly that everyone has different calorie and protein needs, and that -- assuming we're using the correct ratio -- we can just eat to appetite. It seems as if this doesn't match with the advice that's given on some of the web sites, or in the software? That does sound confusing.

Hmm, very interesting, and seems quite contrary to the Calculus Victus software. I may just have to install that sucker after all. Do we know who actually created the Calculus Victus software?

Quote:
PS to cheese lovers: Havarti (the imported Danish kind that's sold at Costco and Trader Joe's) is made with extra cream, so it has 5 g protein and 10 g fat per 1 oz. serving. We love that stuff around here.

Yum, my brother-in-law actually brought me some imported Danish Havarti cheese when he came over for Easter dinner at my house, said he'd tried to get something he thought I would like. Quite a nice choice indeed!
  #337   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 06:31

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
OK, so you're not actually following the Dr. K fat ratio then, eh? Hey, whatever works! But in the meantime I'm going to *try* to keep within the recommended ratios, as suggested here earlier, before I start thinking about things like tweaks. I just wish I weren't so darn hungry all the time! Being hungry all the time is one of those things I associate with unsustainable low-fat diets.

Although in the case of low-fat I felt hungry and *rotten*. On this diet I feel hungry all the time, but also healthy. I guess there *is* something to the idea that protein satisfies hunger (as the Eades say). When I was eating double or better the amount of protein I could drop as low as 1200 calories and not feel hungry a bit. Here on the Optimal plan my calories have been over 2000 every day and the hunger never goes away!

When you are ready to tweak, you could try eating only fat after you have reached your other ratios if you are still hungry.

My trick is to eat whipped cream (with splenda) until I'm not hungry anymore. It just so happens that I never had to eat more fat than the maximum ratio from Dr K to satisfy my hunger. So I guess his ratios works for me. But I don't care about the fat ratio, I just eat fat until I'm ok.

By the way, if you lose weight by being hungry. You are forcing your body down and, like with any other intake restrictive diets, you will probably gain the weight back when you get tired of being hungry all the time. In your place, I would try right away to eat pure fat when hungry and see if you still lose weight. This would be real permanent weight loss.

Just my 2 cents.

Patrick
  #338   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 06:33

BF:

Okay, I still don't like the hunger thing, but I am down three pounds so far this week (started Saturday) and that even includes Easter where I stayed strictly LC, sugar-free and grain-free, but blew out my protein numbers. But after 4 weeks of the scale not moving it *is* nice to see a downward trend again!
  #339   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 07:05

Plan: Atkins / High-Fat
Stats: 168/149/138 Female 5' 8"
BF:size: 12/10/8
Progress: 63%

okay, i just spent about 30 minutes obsessing over what i'm going to eat today (on nutritiondata.com tracking) to meet these damn ratios. i said i wasn't joining in this diet, but after reading all of this stuff i kinda can't help lowering my protein and upping the fats! i'm still hovering at the same weight............wish me luck.

PS valtor, i am gradually reading through the posts about GCBC on caloriecount, from that link you posted... i've used that site before and it drove me nuts how it was all pro-low cal!
  #340   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 07:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by articshark
Here is an interesting account of pork dewlap.

http://www.slashfood.com/tag/pork+dewlap/

Oh cool! Great. Wonder if eating pig chin/wattles will get rid of my own LOL
  #341   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 07:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by art_kid
okay, i just spent about 30 minutes obsessing over what i'm going to eat today (on nutritiondata.com tracking) to meet these damn ratios. i said i wasn't joining in this diet, but after reading all of this stuff i kinda can't help lowering my protein and upping the fats! i'm still hovering at the same weight............wish me luck.

PS valtor, i am gradually reading through the posts about GCBC on caloriecount, from that link you posted... i've used that site before and it drove me nuts how it was all pro-low cal!

Good luck! I think you're smart to use a tracking software. I've been using fitday to hit the percentages. No way could I do this in my head.
  #342   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 07:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by art_kid

Yep, I figured it was the place where people would fight Gary Taubes' hypothesis tooth and nails I don't like an easy win. I was actually able to convince a lot of people if I trust the personal messages I got.

It's not that hard. I mean, all the might of true science *is* behind me on this. So as you can see on the caloriecount thread, anyone willing to really argument properly, or at least watch the video presentation, can't shake the pure logic and science of the ΔE hypothesis. It's just a question of arrow of causality.

And by the way, thank you again Lisa for forcing me to look deeper into the science and to read GCBC a while back.

Patrick
  #343   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 07:44
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, I've come to the conclusion, like I always do, that the high fat diet isn't for me. I have gained a lot of fat in my belly. I was going to give it two weeks but I'm very alarmed at how quickly I've put fat on.

It might just be the dairy fat. I'll have to sit down and see if there's anyway I can do this diet without the dairy. Or just see if there's anyway I can keep the protein down a bit, maybe increase veggies a whole lot.

At least I gave it an honest try and logged and recorded everything so I won't have any doubts about it next time around.

I'm rather envious of those of you this works for.
  #344   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 07:58

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
When you are ready to tweak, you could try eating only fat after you have reached your other ratios if you are still hungry.

My trick is to eat whipped cream (with splenda) until I'm not hungry anymore. It just so happens that I never had to eat more fat than the maximum ratio from Dr K to satisfy my hunger. So I guess his ratios works for me. But I don't care about the fat ratio, I just eat fat until I'm ok.

By the way, if you lose weight by being hungry. You are forcing your body down and, like with any other intake restrictive diets, you will probably gain the weight back when you get tired of being hungry all the time. In your place, I would try right away to eat pure fat when hungry and see if you still lose weight. This would be real permanent weight loss.

Just my 2 cents.

Patrick

So... you whip up some whipping cream, and add Splenda? About how much of this concoction do you devour at one setting? A cup? 2 cups? Or...?

What about on days when you have a larger appetite, due to rigorous exercise the previous day?

Would you change the quantity of protein, upping it, if the muscles are sore & achy?

OR, would you have the extra whipped cream?

Say, I wonder how that would taste, drizzled with a tiny bit of dark chocolate syrup and placed in the freezer for a while? Hmmm...

Anyway, do you believe that it would be better to eat servings of the cream/splenda, as opposed to protein/carb -- when the appetite is obviously due to cravings after exercise?
  #345   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 07:59

BF:

That's a shame Nancy

Have you tried reducing the carbs to induction levels while keeping the protein low and the fat high ?

Patrick
Closed Thread