Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 19:14

Plan: low carb/low sugar
Stats: 152/149/135
BF:?
Progress: 18%
Question peanur butter...yummy peanut butter!

HI!
I was wondering which peanut butter is the best to buy? I bought the "natural" stuff with no added sugar...etc...it doesn't taste that great. What about the simply Jif???????? Does the peanut butter have to have NO SUGAR in it? Can you guys recommend some good brands? I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!
Angie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 19:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 452/386/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 26%

The no sugar stuff is certainly the best... Although, I think the more important part about the natural peanut butters is they do not have any hydrogenated oils in them, which I like to avoid. No sugar is not a requirement as long as you count all the carbs and keep yoursef within your daily limit - and of course it doesn't trigger any cravings.

I always buy the stuff in the refrigerated section - tastes the best to me. The brand escapes me right now but I will check later and let you know. I have tried the ones on the shelf with the other peanut butter and I always found the texture and the taste to be lacking.

Mark
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 20:44

Plan: low carb/low sugar
Stats: 152/149/135
BF:?
Progress: 18%
Thumbs up wow!! You lost alot!

Hi Mark,
I couldn't help but notice your stats. You lost a ton of weight, and look great! Did you do it all on Atkin's? Thanks for the reply.
Angie
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 19:40

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

Java,

Personally, I prefer the natural peanut butters. After being on LC for a while, they just seem to have a warmer, richer and nuttier taste.

The grocery store I shop at (Publix- a Southeast chain that started in Florida) makes their own fresh in the deli section. It is so good.

Some people also make their own with a food processor. If you wanted it sweet but did not want sugar, you could always add Splenda. Just a thought.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 11:31

Stats: 452/386/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hey Angie!

Yup, I am on Atkin's plan...

The peanut butter that I like is Real brand... I always looked at that and always thought it was just a description, not the brand name.

Mark
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-05, 15:42
Registered Member

Stats: 291/215/150 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress:

I get the natural and add a little salt and sweetner(I like mine a little sweet) I wonder if you could take almond flour and make almond butter from it by pulsing in the blender or FP and maybe even adding a little oil if necessary. Might try that. I think it is a little lower in carbs.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-05, 15:58

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javamama
Hi Mark,
I couldn't help but notice your stats. You lost a ton of weight, and look great! Did you do it all on Atkin's? Thanks for the reply.
Angie

I noticed this too. You do look amazing Mark!! So handsome! I hope you're really proud of yourself, I know I would be! Take it easy.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-05, 18:44

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 265/230/150 Female 64
BF:42
Progress: 30%

Skippy makes a low carb Peanut Butter made with Splenda
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-05, 18:47

Plan: my own
Stats: 242/224/170 Female 5foot8inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

Im a peanut butter freak.... I bought the skippy w/ splenda. Its okay but not as good as JIF. It takes care of the craving.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 03:26

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

The only thing about the Skippy (well, the Carb Options label made by skippy) is the transfats and other junk added to it.

I only have pb in the chocolate peanut butter cup recipe in the treats section so it doesn't matter that it's not sweetened

Like others have suggested, you could always add a bit of splenda and mix it well, or make your own with just peanuts and add some splenda to taste.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 06:09

Plan: Atkins & Bowflex
Stats: 350/308/220 Male 6ft 4in 26yrs
BF:Started 22 Feb 05
Progress: 32%

Wow I completely forgot about natural peanut butter...I'm going to have to get some!

One of my favorite memories of my grandfather was when I was little, he used to take me to the store. We'd eat grapes and peanuts from the produce section, and the store actually had an old-fashioned peanut grinder. You could turn this huge brass dial and produce different consistencies of peanut butter very cool
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 06:47

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've seen (at Fred Meyer) that they have different nuts to choose from and you grind it right there (in the health food area of the store).