Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 20:51

Plan: my own
Stats: 149/150/130 Female 159cm
BF:30%/27%/18%
Progress: -5%
Question Stevia Cheesecake?

Hi has anyone made any cheese cakes using stevia?
I am not too keen on artificial sweetners, but I am interrested in making low carb cheesecakes....any other ideas on using stevia would be great as well. thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 02:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

There's great information on cheesecakes in Karen's Corner, here in the Kitchen forum. She makes the very best cheesecakes and had advice about sweeteners (including using stevia) in there, too. Have a look!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 05:37
Registered Member

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 320/282/165
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default A Conversion CHart for Artificial Sugars & Stevia Cheesecake & French Silk PieRecipe!

Here is a Conversion Chart for Using Artificial Sugars/sweeteners
Conversion Chart <--click there

After much searching, I found this Blueberry Cheesecake Stevia Recipe:
Ingredients:
1pkg unflavoured gelatin
1 cup boiling water
16oz cream cheese (room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp stevia concentrate powder

Topping:
1/2 tsp stevia concentrate powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 TBS cornstarch
1/2 cup water
2 cups blueberries
1 TBS lemon juice
1/2 TBS butter

Instructions:
Dissolve gelatin in boiling water, add cream cheese and vanilla. Beat well. Add stevia and continue to beat. Place into dessert dish or cake pan. Cool for one hour in the refrigerator.

Topping: Mix stevia, salt and cornstarch in a saucepan. Place on medium heat and add water, stir until thickens. Add blueberries, lemon juice and butter. Continue to stir as it thickens. Remove from heat, cool, serve over cheesecake base.

AND HERE IS ONE FOR FRENCH SILK PIE:
Aimee's Original French Silk Pie

This pie is just incredible! I once served it to dinner guests, and after their first bite and all the ensuing "ooos and aaaahs," I informed them that it was sugar free. Their mouths gaped open and their eyes bugged out! They said, "Well, don’t tell the kids, they will never know the difference!" The husband still talks about how wonderful this dessert is.

Crust:

1 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup soy protein (NOT soy flour!)
1 teaspoon SteviaPlus®
4 packets sucralose
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
Filling:

3 ounces (squares) unsweetened baking chocolate
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon SteviaPlus®
8 packets sucralose
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 eggs
Topping:

1 cup whipping cream
1/8 teaspoon SteviaPlus
Crust instructions: Combine well with a pastry blender or food processor and press into pie pan. Bake 5 minutes at 450° F. Cool completely before adding filling. Filling instructions: Break chocolate and place in a small saucepan over lowest possible heat. Stirring constantly, warm chocolate until almost completely melted. Remove from heat and continue to stir until thoroughly melted. Cool chocolate.

Since the eggs won’t be cooked, coddle eggs: Fill a small sauce pan about half-full. Bring water to boiling, then place eggs in boiling water for 20 seconds. Remove eggs from water and immerse in cold water to stop them from continuing to cook. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer cream butter, SteviaPlus® and sucralose on medium speed about 1 minute. Add chocolate and vanilla, mixing until combined. Continue mixing and beat in eggs one at a time for 5 minutes each. Total mixing time for egg mixture will be 15 minutes. Pour into pie shell. Chill at least 4 hours to set.

Topping instructions: Whip cream in a small mixing bowl with an electric mixer until peaks form. Add SteviaPlus(r and whip till combined. Spread on chilled pie. Sliver chocolate with a vegetable peeler. Garnish pie with chocolate curls. Enjoy! Serves 8.

The original recipe came from Aimee Nossum. Thank you Amy for letting me use this a really wonderful pie in my book!

Variation: French Silk Cups: Omit the crust and do the filling as instructed. Place finished filling into muffin tins and chill in the refrigerator as directed. Either top with the whipped cream topping as directed or serve plain. Makes 8.

Carb counts: Pie entire recipe, 64.87. Fiber, 28.07. ECC, 36.36 Pie per serving, 8.1. Fiber, 3.5. ECC, 4.54. Cups entire recipe (without topping), 30.68. Fiber, 13.08. ECC, 17.6. Cups per serving (without topping), 3.83. Fiber, 1.63. ECC, 2.2.

This recipe is excerpted from Low Carb Cooking at Sharron's Place: Sugar Free Recipes Featuring SteviaPlus® by Sharron Long, ©2002

Hope that this has helped you out some!

Last edited by ShadowQn : Fri, Jan-31-03 at 05:38.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 08:43
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default LC Cooking with Stevia

Hi Jezebel:

What kind of stevia are you using?

I haven't made any cheesecakes with stevia yet, but for herself, Karen makes her own cheesecakes with a stevia/chicolin mix so they are all convertable. Here's the thread.
If you are interested, generally, in cooking low carb with stevia, there is a LC stevia cookbook, Low Carb Cooking with Stevia I got from Amazon.com. I personally don't think the cheesecake recipes look as good as Karen's, but the book is a good reference for cooking with stevia. Lots of dessert and cooking ideas, especially if you don't want to convert sugar and splenda recipes.

I am very interested in sharing ideas with people who cook with stevia. I'd love to hear how it turns out. Maybe you can PM me if you'd like.

Good luck,
Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Fri, Jan-31-03 at 08:48.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 10:26
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yep! I use stevia/chicolin for all my personal sweet stuff.

With LC baking, it's pretty easy. You just add it to taste!

Karen