Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-09, 13:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

I started atkins in Nov. after my dr informed me that I was going to go on meds for type 2. I was also feeling miserable and scared because I knew something was wrong. I just couldn't control my sugar levels. I lots 20lbs, and during a month of constant testing with my meter, my blood sugar levels are always on target and almost perfect. I went back to see him and he was pleased and held off medication. I go back next week to see how I am doing and was told if I continue to make or keep this progress and way of eating I can hold off meds.

Type 1 I don't think, low carb, would ever get you off insulin. My mother has taken insulin for what seems like forever and watching carb intake has cut hers in half..
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 05:45

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

mainecyn sounds like you've made good progress. Keep it up! Did you tell the doc you were on Atkins?
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 06:24

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Ralph, you might want to check into the Heart Scan Doctor's blog.
http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com

There's a for fee support group at http://trackyourplaque.com
I think the fees just cover their costs.

Great blog Nancy.

I have been very reluctant to going on statins.

But right now I am adding them to the mix.

As to the other points made, I am going to have my LDL tested to see if it is made up of the harmful particles or just the harmless large fluffy ones. I have been discussing this with my Doctor quite a bit. My prior cholesterol test gave me 134 with an HDL of 55 and therefore a calculated LSL of around 80.

Secondly, Dr. Mercola site had an excellent video on vitamin D3 deficiency and I suspect like many I was deficient. Well prior to my blood test I started taking 4000 iu of D3 for about 3 weeks or so. I continue to take these supplements. My D3 score came out 34; just above minimal. The optimal range is above 50 like 50-75 range. So I am hoping to continue to raise that.

I don't use sunscreen and I do get out into the sun, but I am not a sun bather; so prudent exposure to the sun like 1/2 hour to 1 hour a day should bring all the serum D3 up to optimal level during the summer; we will see.

I will look back at thyroid.

my Tsh is 1.54 so that is good.

I take Krill Oil supplement every day thanks to Dr. Mercola and I don't believe in the American Heart Association diet. I have always been a meat eater and therefore my consumption of fats have been higher. Now, on low carb (well less than 100 grams a day) my diet tends to be higher in protein and fat than carbs.

I also take niacin to help with HDL, but my HDL is already over 55 approaches 60 at times especially if I get my exercising routine kicked up a bit.

But I will take a look a early morning oral temperature as another check.

Thanks,

Ralph
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 12:25
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Don't get the wrong sort of niacin, you need to use the kind that makes you flush. The other sort is worthless. Also, niacin will reduce your LDL too.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 21:21

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

"Don't get the wrong sort of niacin, you need to use the kind that makes you flush. The other sort is worthless. Also, niacin will reduce your LDL too."
That's my experience with Niacin also.I take 1000 mg after
breakfast.I like the flush-sort of like an orgasm in the face.
It feels SOOOOOOOOOOOO good.
<chuckle>
Eddie
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 06:25

BF:

Nancy and Ed,

I get the right kind of niacin.

I have had some pretty good flushes with it.

I do take 1000mg a day.

I also take two baby aspirin with it, which counteract the flush.

Once you get "used" to it there are less times when you do get the flush.

However, I am going to look into the HeartScan site more Nancy.

Lots of interesting stuff there.

Thanks,

Ralph
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 09:01

BF:

Niacin has increased my HDL from 40 to 65.
I don't think it's had much effect on LDL or triglycerides
but they're okay.My last measured total cholesterol was
161.I don't remember the exact breakdown of LDL and triglycerides but they were good-both in 80's(maybe).
Cheers/low BG's
Eddie
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 10:35
Experimenter

BF:

Hah! Eddie, that's funny. I never liked the feeling personally... of the flush, the other thing I'm onboard with!

Ralph, the thing you might want to search for is "VAP" and "NMR". Those are much more appropriate ways to test your cholesterol. See, the standard cholesterol test just does a calculation to derive LDL cholesterol and it doesn't tell you whether those LDL are big and harmless or small and harmful. It's also a very inaccurate test too. If you have low triglycerides your LDL is likely to be calculated too high. If you have high triglycerides, it will likely under calculate your LDL. That's why it hasn't ever been a very good indicator of who is going to drop dead of a heart attack.

So read up, put VAP and NMR in the search box (upper left side) of Dr. Davis's blog. You might also want to put in Wheat, D3, thyroid and anything else that strikes your fancy.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Thu, Feb-12-09 at 10:40.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 14:47

Plan: raw food / paleo
Stats: 233/172/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 59%

so...what's the 'right' kind of niacin? I am considering taking it for my heart?
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 18:24

BF:

januaria
The right kind of Niacin is regular Niacin-not extended release or
noflush Niacin.It's better to take Niacin right before or right after
eating.a 500 mg pill with breakfast and the same with dinner is a
good way to start.You will probably feel a flush/heating in your
face.That is because the arteries expand. Do a blood test to
check your liver and repeat every few months while you are taking Niacin.
Cheers
Eddie
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 18:29
Experimenter

BF:

#27   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 06:28

BF:

Hello Nancy and Ed,

I am aware about the whole controversy about cholesterol and it not being the end all answer to heart disease. I am going to have my LDL tested as well. The point is I do have build up in my arteries that needs to be watched.

I am now seeing one of New York's best cardiologist at St Francis Hospital; this is a heart hospital. What he point out to me about statins is they understand that it goes beyond just controlling cholesterol. There is a statistical significance for patients on statins faring better with heart disease than those not on statins. He goes on to point out to me with my obesity issue that I have a lot of fats floating around in my blood and therefore they may very well be contributing my artery blockage. He also recognizes that there is something going on with statins that goes beyond just control of cholesterol.

I am also taking niacin the full flush variety and I have to repeat what I have mentioned here before; two baby aspirin help eliminate/reduce the flush experience. It is quite a rush as Eddie has indicated.

The Doctor also encourages my decision to go for Bariatric Lap Band surgery and the strict medical diet that follows with it to get the weight off quickly. I have tried on my own but don't have whatever it takes to get the weight down. I can do 10 or 20 pounds but then that is that. So, this is a new tool for me to get the weight down and then continue to use it to keep the weight down.

Also, I am taking an Advanced Artery Solution that has EDTA and many minerals and vitamins that Dr. Cutler promotes on the web with apparently good results. They are telling me that my next annual cardiac catscan should show an improvement.

See this URL http://www.truehealth.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=TAASC&CAT=

I also take all kinds of additional vitamins and minerals along with 3 blood pressure meds, krill oil for omega 3 and on and on.

In a word too much medication. I also have sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine. I am pretty much slowly killing myself by being obese; not to mention two years now T2 diabetes, which the Doctor believes I can reverse (bring under good control) with the weight loss and the Bariatric surgeon confirms this as well

So I have a plan. I am in process.

I thank you for all the support.

I will probably join the heartscan site that Nancy has referenced since there will be future caridac catscans.

Thanks,

Ralph
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 09:59

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Ralph - good luck with all of that, the one friend I have (that I know about) who had the surgery is quite happy about it, and it has been effective. Rob
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 10:11
Experimenter

BF:

Ralph, I wish you all the best on your journey. I really think Dr. Davis has had some stunning results from his program, I hope things work as well for you!
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 12:05

Plan: raw food / paleo
Stats: 233/172/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Hi Ralph,

Thank you for the info on statins. My doc has been recommending them for several months, but I have held off, trying to lower the cholesterol myself with diet.

April.