Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Tue, Aug-11-09, 06:59

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by januaria
Ron, where can I get the BH in Canada? I had to stop taking Metformin due to the unrelenting, incapacitating diarrhea. Just would not quit. I am doing really well on a mostly raw diet - I've lost 52 pounds since diagnosis in June 2007. It's really, really hard to lose, I find. Maybe the BH will speed things up a bit?

April

try this place. This is where I got my last batch. It's expensive to ship though.

http://www.cheungstrading.com/index...products_id=345
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Tue, Aug-11-09, 07:13

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Nancy, next time you're in Bellaire,

Try this location for Berberine:

Super Health Food
(713) 270-8003 6650 Corporate Dr
Houston, TX

It's off of Bellair, half a block west, not far from Beltway 8

The only thing I suggest is: Don't discuss what you want it for, because they only know it is for diarrhea. It comes in a bottle of 100 pills for under $5... If you inform them, the price will probably go up considerably. Their English is poor, so ask for it by the Chinese name "huang lian su".....
  #123   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-09, 04:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
Nancy, next time you're in Bellaire,

Try this location for Berberine:

Super Health Food
(713) 270-8003 6650 Corporate Dr
Houston, TX

It's off of Bellair, half a block west, not far from Beltway 8

The only thing I suggest is: Don't discuss what you want it for, because they only know it is for diarrhea. It comes in a bottle of 100 pills for under $5... If you inform them, the price will probably go up considerably. Their English is poor, so ask for it by the Chinese name "huang lian su".....

Thinking about going to day. If not there then I will be going to the hong kong market to ask about the pu erh.
  #124   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-09, 16:20

BF:

Went to the Hong Kong Market about eight miles from my house today and asked two different people about pu erh. They didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about. I showed them on paper....pu erh tea and I made I sign with my fingers and said round brick......the didnt' know. I found my regular blood sugar control tea and also got some Japanese Green Tea.
  #125   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-09, 19:51

Poor Becky... The problem at the Hong Kong Market is, no one there is from Hong Kong or China. Mostly Vietnamese, but other Asians also, forgot about that.. Pu'er or Pu'erh as it is written for pronunciaton sake is still a Chinese word and other Asians haven't a clue, unless they drink it and are familiar with it...
  #126   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-09, 04:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
Poor Becky... The problem at the Hong Kong Market is, no one there is from Hong Kong or China. Mostly Vietnamese, but other Asians also, forgot about that.. Pu'er or Pu'erh as it is written for pronunciaton sake is still a Chinese word and other Asians haven't a clue, unless they drink it and are familiar with it...

Yeah I kind of thought the same thing as I was driving home. Looked like mostly vietnamese people in there although I am not an expert and don't have a way of knowing but just a hunch by they way they looked and their language.....ugh very gutural...I hate the way it sounds. Oh well. I am going to try to call the shop you mentioned on Bellaire in chinatown and see if I can communicate with them to see if they have the huan lian su......and if they do I might have my husband pick it up next week on his way home from work as he goes up to Katy two or three times a week and drives pretty close by. But like I said.....we'll see if I can communicate with them.
  #127   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-09, 09:05

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

[QUOTE=soapluvr]Yeah I kind of thought the same thing as I was driving home. Looked like mostly vietnamese people in there although I am not an expert and don't have a way of knowing but just a hunch by they way they looked and their language.....ugh very gutural...I hate the way it sounds. Oh well. QUOTE]

Maybe we can start a separate thread called "racist diabetics"?

V.
  #128   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-09, 13:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-effect
[QUOTE=soapluvr]Yeah I kind of thought the same thing as I was driving home. Looked like mostly vietnamese people in there although I am not an expert and don't have a way of knowing but just a hunch by they way they looked and their language.....ugh very gutural...I hate the way it sounds. Oh well. QUOTE]

Maybe we can start a separate thread called "racist diabetics"?

V.

V,

get your facts straight! Becky is not a diabetic....

You also put an "s" on diabetic implying there is more than one poster making a racist statement.

I don't see any racist statement.

I can see that Becky's choice of words might be borderline "polictially incorrect", but she's really describing a frustrating situation she had while shopping, why make something out of it that it isn't? There's enough real hate and bigotry in this world without creating it where it isn't.....

V, you can relate to such frustration..., every time a Type 2 chimes on a thread you started that you feel should have only been commented on, by Type 1s'.........

btw, is this a T1 or T2 thread?
  #129   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-09, 16:51

BF:

Thanks Ron and I guess I shouldn't have made the statement about the language but it really is harsh. I find German a tad bit harsh too. I suppose I was too far out there with my opinion. So I will leave it at that. If I offended anyone from Vietnam here I am truly sorry.

And you're right ......I am not diabetic....yet. Trying to keep it that way too.
  #130   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 10:29

BF:

Hey Ron!! My instincts were right on!! I called the shop this morning and the woman answered with "hello". I asked if it was the health food store and she said "I'm sorry I no speak english". I asked if anyone in the store spoke english and she hung up on me. Oh well. I don't feel bad for not calling now. I'll just have to go up and show them on the piece of paper what I want...huang lian su.
  #131   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 12:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Lots of people think the English language is ugly sounding. Of course, you really need to have another language as your first language to make that judgment. I can't hear guttural sounds, just the words. Anyway, I wouldn't assume that someone remarking on the quality of the sound of the language was commenting on anything else. If I didn't like the sound of a saxophone that doesn't mean I don't like people who play the instrument. (I do like sax though!)
  #132   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 19:48

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%
Arrow Huang lian su

Becky
I called the Bellaire shop 3-4 months ago to see if they
had huang lian su.The guy I talked to didn't have a clue
what it was.Maybe your luck will be better.
BTW I had much better luck with huang lian su that came
in 12 pills per bottle(12 bottles per box) as opposed to 100 per bottle..
Bye for now
Eddie

Last edited by eddiemcm : Wed, Aug-19-09 at 19:52. Reason: Added info
  #133   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 19:59

BF:

I won't be calling them again. I will drive up there and show them what it is written on paper ....huang lian su. I also want to go to a tea shop on bellaire that sells pu erh. I live thirty miles away down in Clear Lake.

I ordered from the place that you suggested which is in Canada but it's really too expensive. The pills themselves are a couple dollars more than the shop in San Diego and then the shipping is 20 dollars
  #134   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-09, 07:24

The woman who owns the place on Corporate has a son in pharmacy school and his English is pretty good, but he's hardly ever in the shop. Her husband works there too, and I don't think he speaks any English and she barely speaks it. Most Chinese with limited English skills, from my experience, do better in person than on the phone with communicating in English.

Good luck....