Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-08, 00:58

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Vinegar to Combat Dawn Syndrome and other health problems

This article came to me today via one of my Google Alerts. It's about, among other things, apple cider vinegar and mentions that it can be used in connection with diabetes because of its "anti-glycemic" properties. Thought it might be of interest to you guys.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbc.../806230301/1079

It als mentions other studies so it would give you a pointer to look elsewhere. For me the most telling quotation was this:

"Johnston argues the lack of studies is about the lack of a copyright.

'We just really haven't put (vinegar) to the test,' Johnston says. 'There's no funding for it. The drug companies obviously will spend a lot of money trying to demonstrate the efficacy of their products, but with a natural remedy there's no copyright on it, so who are you going to go to?' Johnston asks."

That says it all really. For all we know, there may be hundreds of natural remedies out there, but our doctors will never tell us because they only know about synthetic drugs produced by Big Pharma.

Thank goodness we have the internet today! I have made so many discoveries about natural remedies which work from the internet. I have suffered from two minor complaints in recent years where antibiotics were prescribed but didn't work, so that I then turned to the internet for information and hey presto, I found non-prescription, OTC herbal tablets in one case and tea tree oil did the trick in the other case!

Happy Reading!
amanda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-08, 04:23
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 182/168/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I have heard a lot of great things recently about apple cider vinegar. i have suffered with costacondritis for 5 months now and to ease the pain all i can do is take anti inflamatories and strong pain killers. On sunday i went to a health food shop and bought a bottle of organic apple cider vinegar. you have to dilute 1dessertspoon of the vinegar with a glass of filtered, spring water twice a day. I have one glass in the morning and one in the evening. NEVER drink it neat. In two days i have already noticed a difference and i can actually sneeze now and not be in agony with chest pain. I have also lost 2lb since Sunday after being stalled for 3 weeks and it's TOM for me which usually makes me gain. I have no clue if this is because of the vinegar but i have read it helps when trying to lose weight.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-08, 04:51

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Drinking it... Yuk!

We use it in dressings, or just pour it over stir fried veggies. Sometimes we use it in meat dishes.

Also, apples themselves are beneficial:

APPLE PECTIN

Acts as a detoxifier by eliminating heavy metals and toxins from the body; slows down the absorption of sugar; lessens the severity of diabetes; is an excellent source of soluble fiber which lowers cholesterol levels and regulates blood pressure; reduces the risk of heart disease and prevents gallstones; contains anti-oxidant properties which protect the lining of blood vessels; improves stool consistency.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-08, 05:54

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Red wine vinegar is a little easier to drink.I did a shotglass of
red wine vinegar before each meal for 3 months.It had no
effect at all but I suppose it might help some people.I found
a study on the Internet that claimed 40 grams of soluble fiber
per day is a great treatmnt for diabetes.I'm not sure how a
person can get 40 grams per day of soluble fiber.
Cheers
Eddie
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-08, 07:55
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

God, Eddie, that sounds nasty. I think that experience would put me off vinegrette salad dressing for life.

Fiber actually does work in the sense it slows digestion. I've read accounts about different things for years and it always turns out to be a highly individualistic, YMMV, type thing.

The only way to counter Dawn Phenomenon is to have enough insulin available when it happens, either your own insulin or injected insulin. DP is a natural thing that happens to everyone, only non-diabetics have the insulin they need to counter it. How you do stop that?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-08, 10:10
Registered Member

Plan: Berstein's
Stats: 220/189/155 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 48%

About 2 months ago I bought a bottle of apple cider vinegar with the intention of testing it. Every couple weeks I pull the bottle out from the cupboard and look at it, winch, and then put it back...

/smile
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-08, 10:33

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 257/232/200 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 44%

I can get the apple cider vinegar down; but it's not a favorite. I usually add a shot glass full of ACV to a glass of ice cold water w/ a packet of splenda; not bad. Makes it much more drinkable. I am experimenting w/ supplements and ACV, so I have felt pretty good; just don't know if its the ACV, the vitamins and minerals, or the combo of all! -Denise
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-08, 10:36

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%
Talking

winch, wench, or wince
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-08, 10:38

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
This article came to me today via one of my Google Alerts. It's about, among other things, apple cider vinegar and mentions that it can be used in connection with diabetes because of its "anti-glycemic" properties. Thought it might be of interest to you guys.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbc.../806230301/1079

It als mentions other studies so it would give you a pointer to look elsewhere. For me the most telling quotation was this:

"Johnston argues the lack of studies is about the lack of a copyright.

'We just really haven't put (vinegar) to the test,' Johnston says. 'There's no funding for it. The drug companies obviously will spend a lot of money trying to demonstrate the efficacy of their products, but with a natural remedy there's no copyright on it, so who are you going to go to?' Johnston asks."

That says it all really. For all we know, there may be hundreds of natural remedies out there, but our doctors will never tell us because they only know about synthetic drugs produced by Big Pharma.

Thank goodness we have the internet today! I have made so many discoveries about natural remedies which work from the internet. I have suffered from two minor complaints in recent years where antibiotics were prescribed but didn't work, so that I then turned to the internet for information and hey presto, I found non-prescription, OTC herbal tablets in one case and tea tree oil did the trick in the other case!

Happy Reading!
amanda

ACV is very good for stablilizing blood sugar.... There obviously would be no benefit for any pharmaceutical companies to back that type of study because as you said they can't copyright it...

ACV has helped with appetite suppression, TOM cramps, TOM PMS, and helps to stablize my blood sugars... It really isn't that bad when taking it in a full cup of water to dilute it. Some people even add a sweetener to make it more palatable...

Give it a try...

TJ
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-08, 10:41
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLL
winch, wench, or wince
Yes.

/smile
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-08, 10:50
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korban
Yes.

/smile

You left out retch.

I went through my herbal phase in the 80s. I still love herbs - to cook with.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-08, 10:51

BF:

From LowCarbUgh/Susan:
"DP is a natural thing that happens to everyone, only non-diabetics have the insulin they need to counter it. How you do stop that?"
500 mg of Metformin ER worked well for me if taken at bedtime.
5 mg of Glipizide ER at bedtime also worked well.
Best solution FOR ME seems to be about 1000 mg bitter melon pills taken before each meal.I have been waking up with BG in low 90's. Unsure how my solutions would affect anyone else.
Vinegar was worthless for me but maybe it helps some people.
I think I will start a journal this weekend-it might keep me out of
trouble for awhile.
Cheers
Eddie
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-08, 10:58
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
...Vinegar was worthless for me but maybe it helps some people...
Eddie
I suppose even if it won't help my BG, I could look at it as penance for some of the bad things I have done in my life.../sigh
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-08, 11:01
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Well, Eddie, all I can say is your pharma drug and your bitter melon are both working on your pancreas to produce insulin, not DP itself. There is a very important distinction to be made there. The end result is always going to be insulin, but if people want to chug vinegar, they should knock themselves out.

EDIT: Actually, there is one thing that will work directly on DP and that is red wine. It tends to make the liver sluggish and it is the liver that is causing the DP, not the diabetes.

Last edited by lowcarbUgh : Tue, Jun-24-08 at 11:28.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-08, 12:33

BF:

Susan
Red wine works pretty well counteracting dawn effect but I
don't like red wine except with a meal.I seem to need to drink it
about 11PM for it to be helpful and I can't force myself to do that
on a daily basis.Locarb peanut butter on cracker worked fairly
well but that's another thing I can't bring myself to do on a