Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-01, 09:25

Plan: PPP
Stats: /////////// Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Peanut Butter Cheesecake

I've been experimenting with cheesecake recipes over the past few weeks. The best is still Karen's No-bake Vancouver Cheesecake (which is perfect and cannot be experimented with - only created!)

Years ago we were in Arkansas and ate at a restaurant called the Victorian Sampler. Their cheesecake was so wonderful that I bought the cookbook. Of course, in those days, cheesecake was a wicked indulgence. Later I adapted the recipe (crustless) for low-carb. Simple and delicious.

This weekend, I tried a new twist. I invented a crust and flavoured everything with peanut butter. It is really good, although the top cracked so it doesn't look as nice as it could. Maybe low-carb chocolate syrup and a little whipped cream could solve that problem.

Peanut Butter Cheesecake

Serving Size : 12

2 tablespoons peanut butter
1/2 cup butter
1 cup ground pecans
1/4 cup soy flour
1/8 teaspoon stevia
3/4 cup whey protein powder, vanilla
2 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese - room temperature
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup Splenda, granular
1/4 teaspoon stevia
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 pound tofu, medium firm

Prepare crust: Mix first six ingredients. Pat into medium spring-form pan, wetting hands as necessary. Bake crust at 325 for 15 minutes. Blend drained tofu with eggs in a food processor until creamy. In a mixing bowl, cream the cheese and peanut butter until smooth. Gradually add tofu mixture, vanilla and Splenda until well-blended. Pour onto crust. Bake at 350 for fifteen minutes and then at 275 for another 35 minutes, or until done. Chill. Serves 12.
Protein 15.6 g
Carbohydrate 6.0 g.
Fibre 2.0 g
Effective carbohydrate 4.0 g

Note: you can substitute a third package of cream cheese if you don’t like the idea of using tofu. The original Victorian Sampler cheesecake used 3 packages.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-01, 10:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Cheesecake

Kay, looks fabulous...I'll post your recipe in the Recipe Section....thanks for including the "counts".
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-01, 20:02

BF:

Thanks, Sharon. I didn't realize that option was back on, or I would have saved you the trouble. But I take it that you are the hero that made it happen.

I appreciate your time and effort as a moderator!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 13:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/165/122
BF:
Progress: 4%
Talking

Dear KaY

Thanks for the lc pnut butter cheesecake recipe.... before I try it ....(peanut butter is my favorite thing in the world ) please advise how to use splenda ....I tried a cheesecake recipe that called for 1/2 c sugar ...I substituted sweet and low and the cheesecake was weird and bitter ....and ended up in the disposal ...it looked good , but no happy spoonful !!!

Splenda and other substitutes MUST be measured differently .. ..please help ....my hubby and I are both on low carb lifestyle and we are really looking forward to adding some wonderful low carb desserts ...with your help I am sure we could get on the right track.....

thank you
can't wait to make this pnut butter cheesecake .
..hurry and answer so I can start whippin it up .....
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 13:55

BF:

Splenda is the best artifical sugar substitute. You can use it measure for measure and it works great. No bad taste. If you just follow the recipe, you will be fine.

Stevia is my favourite. It is natural. Just be cautious as there will be a bitter taste if you use too much. A tiny bit goes a long, long way.
And don't buy that stupid stevia mixed with fillers. Get the pure powder, not the kind in little envelopes. Why they add junk to a good thing is beyond me.

This is a great lifestyle. After a while, you can't imagine eating the old way. It doesn't appeal at all. You'll get lots of helpful tricks from this forum.

Enjoy the cheesecake and all the best.