Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 05:12

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Top oncologist to study effect of diet on cancer drugs

I watch for clinical trials using a ketogenic diet, and had noticed the endometrial one at MSK/Weill added, but didnt have the big picture before this story.

Understand that this article is on the Front Page of The Guardian.

Quote:
Top oncologist to study effect of diet on cancer drugs

Siddhartha Mukherjee says trial is first in a series on ‘rethinking human diets for cancer’

A groundbreaking clinical trial on whether diet could boost the effectiveness of cancer drugs is set to be launched by one of the world’s leading oncologists.

The work, led by Siddhartha Mukherjee at Columbia University Medical Center in New York, will investigate whether a high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet could improve outcomes for patients with lymphoma and endometrial cancer.

The trial, which is initially recruiting 40 patients, is the first in a series of similar interventions being planned at other centres in the US and Europe by members of a new international working group focused on “rethinking human diets for cancer”, said Mukherjee, who is best known for writing the Pulitzer prize-winning book The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer.

“Physiologically we’re discovering that not every calorie is equal,” he said. “You could have two different diets, equal in terms of energy, but with two very different effects on the cancer.”

The first cohort, who will begin treatment in October, are lymphoma patients with cancers that have not responded to treatment. They will be followed by endometrial cancer patients, and the team is awaiting approval to treat women with drug-resistant breast cancer.

The patients will be treated with a licensed drug, Aliqopa, that has previously been shown to have limited effects in such patients. However, recent animal studies, including a paper this week in Nature from Mukherjee’s lab, suggest its effectiveness could be significantly boosted when combined with diet changes aimed at lowering insulin levels.

To achieve this, patients will be put on a so-called ketogenic diet (high in fat, low in carbohydrate, normal protein). “If you combine them with a diet which [keeps insulin low], all of a sudden these drugs become effective,” said Mukherjee, referring to the Nature study. “The diet really works like a drug.”

The team arrived at the idea after being involved in trials of drugs that, like Bayer’s Aliqopa, were designed to target one of the most common cancer mutations, called PI3K, that is present in up to 40% of breast cancers.

Despite major pharmaceutical industry investment a decade ago, none of the drugs aimed at PI3K have a major impact on survival rates. “There was an enormous amount of hype around these drugs, huge investments of the order of billions of dollars,” said Mukherjee.

Mukherjee and colleagues noticed that a high proportion of patients on one of the original trials had become diabetic, and after initially dismissing this as a drug side-effect, they began to investigate. They discovered the drug was interfering with one of the body’s main metabolic circuits, causing a spike in insulin production, which had the effect of reactivating the mutated genetic pathway that was helping cancer cells proliferate and spread.

“It may be the central reason we don’t get effectiveness,” said Mukherjee.

The trial will be among the first to investigate whether diet can be used to boost the effectiveness of drugs, but others are expected to follow in the next few years.

“There’s been so much over many, many years in terms of diet and what you should and shouldn’t eat to help in terms of cancer therapy,” said Prof Karen Vousden, Cancer Research UK’s chief scientist, based at the Francis Crick Institute in London and a member of the international working group. “There’s a lot of black magic and old wives’ tales. None of it is really based on any evidence.”

In some cases, Vousden added, what might intuitively seem correct – giving patients on chemotherapy a sugary drink, say – might not be the optimal way to boost calorie intake. “We want to champion the idea that you give dietary advice based on hard evidence,” she said.

Vousden’s work has shown that cancer cells are disproportionately dependent on dietary sources of an amino acid called serine. Healthy cells can produce their own serine, but cancer cells are less capable of doing this, and animal studies have shown that cutting dietary intake of the substance makes cancer more vulnerable to drugs.

Serine is present in most dietary protein, so if clinical evidence supported such an intervention in the future, this might mean patients being placed on an extremely low-protein diet, supplemented with a serine-free protein shake.

Siddhartha Mukherjee: 'A positive attitude does not cure cancer, any more than a negative one causes it'
Read more
Both Vousden and Mukherjee say they would discourage patients from putting themselves on diets after reading about the latest findings. There is no evidence that the ketogenic diet, for instance, would be helpful on its own – in fact, for leukaemia it appeared to accelerate the disease’s progress.

“We are not suggesting that people go out there and self-medicate with these diets,” said Vousden. “We’re looking at it more from the way we’d look at any other drug.”

Prof Greg Hannon, director of the Cancer Research UK Cambridge Institute, recently discovered that a compound found in asparagus called asparagine appears to drive the spread of cancer. The study, in mice, showed that animals with breast cancer had a dramatically reduced rate of secondary tumours when asparagine was either blocked using a drug or cut from the diet.

“The holy grail is finding something that cancer cells are uniquely dependent on,” said Hannon. “By depriving them of that resource it makes them more vulnerable to things that we already use to treat patients.”

There is no suggestion that cancers have been caused by a diet in the first place. “We’re looking to attack peculiarities in cancer cells, but an imbalanced diet would not have caused those peculiarities to be there in the first place,” said Hannon.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...on-cancer-drugs

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jul-07-18 at 05:54.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 05:32

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

This is something not always mentioned in the diet/"cancer as a metabolic disease" conversation--the ketogenic diet is just one way to target it, there are drug interventions that target insulin or glucose metabolism more directly. This gives broader promise, not as easy as "keto kills all cancer" would have been, but hope for wider effective application of the general principle.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 05:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
This is something not always mentioned in the diet/"cancer as a metabolic disease" conversation--the ketogenic diet is just one way to target it, there are drug interventions that target insulin or glucose metabolism more directly. This gives broader promise, not as easy as "keto kills all cancer" would have been, but hope for wider effective application of the general principle.

There are thousands of studies with Metformin on PubMed, way more than with a Ketogenic Diet at this point. Don't they get the connection?

Best one: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25386929
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 08:37

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I think they are only looking for ways to make their drugs work. That is how they will make money.

I will never forget the oncologist telling me to eat bananas instead of the 99mg potassium pill because that was dangerous.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 15:12

Dr Seyfried's work is also looking for ways to make existing cancer drugs work better. Unless there is no option for treatment, the serious researchers are looking for ways to add a Ketogenic Diet to standard of care.

This was exciting news for people I respect,
Gary Taubes tweeted: Is this what the beginning of a paradigm shift looks like?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 17:48

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I hope mr taubes is right, because I have pretty much walked away from doctors.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-18, 05:02

RESULTS of a Clinical Trial:

About two years ago, UAB, Dr. Barbara Gowers group, was enrolling a clinical trial with Ovarian or Endometrial Cancer and the Ketogenic Diet, with the gripping name of:

“Targeted Disruption to Cancer Metabolism and Growth Through Dietary Macronutrient Modification"

The results were recently published, with a clearer title: A Ketogenic Diet Reduces Central Obesity and Serum Insulin in Women with Ovarian or Endometrial Cancer.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30137481

Quote:
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
The glycolytic nature of cancer cells presents a potential treatment target that may be addressed by a ketogenic diet (KD).
OBJECTIVE:
We hypothesized that a KD would improve body composition and lower serum insulin and insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) in women with ovarian or endometrial cancer.
METHODS:
In this randomized controlled trial, women with ovarian or endometrial cancer [age: ≥19 y; body mass index (kg/m2): ≥18.5] were randomly assigned to a KD (70:25:5 energy from fat, protein, and carbohydrate) or the American Cancer Society diet (ACS; high-fiber, low-fat). Body composition (DXA) and fasting serum insulin, IGF-I, and β-hydroxybutyrate were obtained at baseline and at 12 wk; urinary ketones were also measured throughout the intervention. We assessed differences between the diets with ANCOVA and independent t tests. We used correlation analyses to estimate associations between changes in serum analytes and body composition.
RESULTS:
After 12 wk, the KD (compared with ACS) group had lower adjusted total (35.3 compared with 38.0 kg, P < 0.05) and android (3.0 compared with 3.3 kg, P < 0.05) fat mass. Percentage of change in visceral fat was greater in the KD group (compared with the ACS group; -21.2% compared with -4.6%, P < 0.05). Adjusted total lean mass did not differ between the groups. The KD (compared with ACS) group had lower adjusted fasting serum insulin (7.6 compared with 11.2 µU/mL, P < 0.01). There was a significant inverse association between the changes in serum β-hydroxybutyrate and IGF-I concentrations (r = -0.57; P < 0.0001).
CONCLUSIONS:
In women with ovarian or endometrial cancer, a KD results in selective loss of fat mass and retention of lean mass. Visceral fat mass and fasting serum insulin also are reduced by the KD, perhaps owing to enhanced insulin sensitivity. Elevated serum β-hydroxybutyrate may reflect a metabolic environment inhospitable to cancer proliferation. This trial was registered at www.clinicaltrials.gov as NCT03171506
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-18, 05:11

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Granted, they're now looking to see the effects of a KD on cancer. I'd like to see trials on any protective benefits of a KD on cancer.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-18, 05:57

Yesterday I was testing our library's AudioBook app, so downloaded The Big Fat Surprise. Listening again, seems clearer that it is impossible to predict benefits of any diet on any disease. Was it the diet?..or less chemical pollution, more walking, a genetic or lifestyle difference, etc. Studies might be able to control for some things like smoking, but with the difficulties researchers had with free-living folks in the later half of the last century, it seems diet research and case studies pointing to some correlations may be the best we can do.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-18, 07:07

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I agree with the inability to select specific dietary elements as being causes, as there are too many variables at play that may have influences. This is one of the reasons that RCTs for diet are so difficult. That being said, the KD study by the Gowers group is very encouraging. That simply leaves some of us with our N=1 lifestyle changes and the personal results we experience. If KD can consistently lower fasting insulin, visceral fat, preserve lean mass, and be an effective co-agent against cancer or even to prevent cancer, I'll agree with that correlation.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-18, 08:27

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Granted, they're now looking to see the effects of a KD on cancer. I'd like to see trials on any protective benefits of a KD on cancer.
It is likely that A Ketogenic Diet Reduces Central Obesity and Serum Insulin in Women with (or without) Ovarian or Endometrial Cancer, so I suspect it is the best preventative. The SAD sugar & starch diet is like a growing medium for cancer cells. I like the focus on KD rather than "low carb" because the KD is defined medically and most "low carb" studies are in the 100-150g range, not low enough to make a statistical difference. Even if a KD does not reduce my chances of getting cancer, I enjoy the elimination of asthma, sinusitis & arthritis symptoms, so my life is comfortable.

Last edited by deirdra : Tue, Sep-25-18 at 08:33.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-18, 08:32

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
It is likely that A Ketogenic Diet Reduces Central Obesity and Serum Insulin in Women with or without Ovarian or Endometrial Cancer, so I suspect it is the best preventative. The SAD sugar & starch diet is like a growing medium for cancer cells. I like the focus on KD rather than "low carb" because the KD is defined medically and most "low carb" studies are in the 100-150g range - not low enough to make a difference.

Good point. The old "we don't know the effects because there are no long term clinical trials" actually might apply least to the medical ketogenic diet, because it's the most precise diet and people are put on it very often for years.