Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 20:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/152/144 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Great Magazine for Maintenance

I highly recommend that Maintainers check out Eating Well Magazine.

Eating Well magazine covers healthy eating in a non-didactic way. Plenty of meat recipes as well as vegetarian too, and lots of intelligent food reporting. Recipes often include some or all whole wheat when flour is used. Nutritional analysis at the end of each recipe.

It is a colorful quarterly full of beautiful photos AND advertising free.

This quarter includes a very good article on a store that specializes in lo-carb foods and provides a good explanation of how to read a lo-carb label including whether to count malitol and glycerine and the other "iffy" carbs.

Another short article covers the latest studies on fiber.

A huge article on Chocolate covers every aspect from "fair trade" to brand testing to latest health research findings. Other articles are on root vegetables and cooking with Pomegranates.

Recipes are neither high fat nor low fat... reasonable, highly tested and very tasty: Goat Cheese Kisses (1 net carb) Arugala and Pear Salad (7 NC) Fusili with Walnuts (60 NC) Pork Roast with Walnut-Pomegranate filling (16 NC) Double Chocolate, Double Peanut Cookies (8 NC each)
Chocolate Bark with Pistachios and Dried Cherries (no added sugar) (10 NC per piece)

Easy weeknight meals: Quick Thai Chicken and Vegetable Curry (11 nc)Shrimp with broccoli (4 nc) Pork chops with orange-soy sauce (7 nc) Artichoke and red pepper fritatta (11 nc)

Higher carb recipes can often be easily de-carbed by omitting certain ingredients like potatos or using fewer raisins.

I've seen it at larger news stands.

Their website is http://www.eatingwell.com

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 18:22

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Thanks for the tip! Bon Appetit used to be my favorite magazine, but reading it now (which I still do) is largely an exercise in frustration. Also they have an anti-low carb editorial stance; this month's eating for health column headline reads "Don't listen to the low carb patrol! potatoes are good for you!"

I'd love to find a new cooking magazine more in tune with LC. I'll definitely check out Eating Well. Thanks! --Sarah
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 05:13

Stats: 156.8/136/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

In the magazine, do they list the nutritional fact for each recipe?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 05:17
Registered Member

Stats: 170/152/144 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Yes, they do list nutritional facts for each recipe.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 05:31

Stats: 156.8/136/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I will check it out. I remember getting the magazine years ago. I too am fed up with Bon Apetit.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 05:57
Registered Member

Plan: my own adapted
Stats: 210/187/127 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 28%

Thanks so much for the tip. My hubby has already reached maintenance (not fair!!) so I plan to get the magazine and give it to him as a gentle push to do more of the cooking!!
Regards