Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-15, 06:34

Plan: mine
Stats: 222/185/143 Male 175
BF:
Progress:
Default switching from high protein-low-carb to keto possible?

I've been on only egg+chicken(without skin)+lettuce+broccoli
combination for 20 days. Mine was a little extreme only 200-400 calories a day.
Lost some 15-16lbs weight but , eating butter and lamb fat looks tempting annd it doesn't look much diffrent than atkins. more fat instead of protein from meat.
What i plan to do is switch chicken with lamb meat especially ribs(i can eat it everyday) i am muslim so no pig fat.
where i live no coconut oil is available but i make my own butter.
I almost had no carbs in 20 days i ve no idea if this means i am burning fat.
So is it possible to make a switch without breaking my current weight loss speed?

Thanks

Hope you all have healty diets.

Last edited by uberfat : Sat, Apr-25-15 at 06:41.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-15, 07:22

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I'd say that keto is not only much closer to Atkins than what you're doing--but that it is Atkins. At least, it's within the range of protein/fat intake that Dr. Atkins advocated. What you've been doing is more like Stillman's, or a protein sparing modified fast.

Adding fat might slow weight loss, it's hard to say. But does weight loss really need to be this fast? Do you really need to lose almost a pound a day? I'm not judging here, sometimes a water fast or modified fast can be therapeutic, but it sort of depends.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-15, 08:02

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I'd say that keto is not only much closer to Atkins than what you're doing--but that it is Atkins. At least, it's within the range of protein/fat intake that Dr. Atkins advocated. What you've been doing is more like Stillman's, or a protein sparing modified fast.

Adding fat might slow weight loss, it's hard to say. But does weight loss really need to be this fast? Do you really need to lose almost a pound a day? I'm not judging here, sometimes a water fast or modified fast can be therapeutic, but it sort of depends.

Hi my willpower is a weak.
I ve never done successfull dietin my life all fail. only did cut the bread from my meals and ate kfc for months(when i lost tons years ago).
The only motivation is the weigthing machine i can hold on this diet.When i see i lost weight it feels like i ate 5000 calories worth cheesecake and chicken wings .

if i go on a regular long term 1500 calorie diet it wont work. i am sure when i see i haven't lose any in a week period ill just go eat my cheesecake .
and when i say cheesecake i can eat a full 12 slice chesecake in 6 hours period. + a 20 pieces kfc wings(i wasn't gaining any weight in this diet)

math: if i eat 1500 calories broccoli,chicken breast,salads and not losing weight in short term,the devil side of my brain will tell me : dude you was the same when eating cheesecakes just go back.

I wasn't gaining or losing any weight prior to this diet. when i lost 20kg's years ago i wasn't in any diet only ate kfc chickens and my deserts.As i said i just cut my breads which was a full proof carbs made me fat.

What i plan is when i reach the goal asap, and when losing weight and counting calories is no longer an issue is to stick eating meat and veggies until feeling full. Since i don't eat bread for years it wont be hard but i ate tons of sugar in my cheesecakes,traditional deserts snacks etc. I ll cut sugar,carbs and i hope ill be fine.

Last edited by uberfat : Sat, Apr-25-15 at 08:17.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-15, 08:17

BF:

Okay. Eating more ketogenically might help with sugar cravings, a lot of people find that with time they come to prefer things less sweet.

I don't think anybody's willpower is all that strong. Avoiding temptation, or learning to be tempted by things that are less fattening might be a better approach in the long term. We are supposed to enjoy food after all, it's just not supposed to be Kentucky fried.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-15, 10:48

BF:
Progress:

thanks teaser, i ate a high fat chicken thighs with skin on! today with some greens.
Was fantastic i wont eat anything today. it made me feel full before with chicken breast i was feeling so bad. calorie wise they are close(except the skin) but fat wise thigh full of fat.
Idk how my body will respond to skins ... we'll see
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-15, 11:58

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberfat
Hi my willpower is a weak. I've never done successful diet in my life all fail.
That's why most of us are here. Due to brainwashing, even on Atkins, I tried to minimize fat and calorie intake. After 35 years of failing on diets, even low-cal low-carb low-fat with various amounts of protein, I decided to do the only diet that I had never dared to try - very HF, very LC, moderate protein and higher calories than any diet I had ever followed. I chose the maintenance level of calories for a "normal" person at my goal weight. That amounted to ~1750 cals/day compared to my previous diets, most in the 800-1200 calorie range; the highest at 1450. I lost all my excess weight and maintain it on that same "normal" level of calories, something my past history of dieting made me think was impossible. After a few days I found that eating more fat and calories made willpower completely unnecessary, I wasn't hungry and my food seemed decadent - chicken thighs with skin, salad with full-fat dressing, deviled eggs with lots of mayo, heavy whipped cream in coffee, butter, etc.

Basically I followed and still follow ketogenic Atkins Induction, but with no grains, legumes or dairy proteins and virtually no processed foods, 70-75% fat, 20-25% protein, 5% carbs. I have protein at every meal (20-25g), none or a few carbs from vegetables, then add fat. I also use coconut oil or heavy whipped cream or butter in my coffee and tea.

I started by just adding fat to what you are eating. This actually boosted my weight loss and metabolism; severe calorie restriction was slowing my metabolism to conserve energy. It was scary to start adding fat, but, after 35 years of diet failures I decided to commit to it for a month and see what happened. I was shocked to find I had hit upon the only way of eating that I could adopt for life and lose weight with no hunger, no cravings, and no constantly thinking about food.

You mention your intense attraction to cheesecake. I had that too and it was just as bad with LC cheesecake, whey protein shakes, greek yogurt, cream cheese, sour cream, meaning that dairy proteins are the culprit, not just sugar. I could not get below 150 lbs until I eliminated all dairy except for ~2T butter and ~2T HWC per day, since they have only minute amounts of carbs and proteins - casein, whey and other "milk solids". My chronic sinus congestion also disappeared.

I've found that all the foods I had intense cravings for in the past contain something I am sensitive to. They are insulinogenic and dairy contains opioid peptides that many find addictive. When I avoid these things and eat yummy fatty ketogenic foods instead, the cravings completely disappear. It only takes ~3 days of "clean" eating.

Last edited by deirdra : Sat, Apr-25-15 at 12:44.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-15, 13:30

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
That's why most of us are here. Due to brainwashing, even on Atkins, I tried to minimize fat and calorie intake. After 35 years of failing on diets, even low-cal low-carb low-fat with various amounts of protein, I decided to do the only diet that I had never dared to try - very HF, very LC, moderate protein and higher calories than any diet I had ever followed. I chose the maintenance level of calories for a "normal" person at my goal weight. That amounted to ~1750 cals/day compared to my previous diets, most in the 800-1200 calorie range; the highest at 1450. I lost all my excess weight and maintain it on that same "normal" level of calories, something my past history of dieting made me think was impossible. After a few days I found that eating more fat and calories made willpower completely unnecessary, I wasn't hungry and my food seemed decadent - chicken thighs with skin, salad with full-fat dressing, deviled eggs with lots of mayo, heavy whipped cream in coffee, butter, etc.

Basically I followed and still follow ketogenic Atkins Induction, but with no grains, legumes or dairy proteins and virtually no processed foods, 70-75% fat, 20-25% protein, 5% carbs. I have protein at every meal (20-25g), none or a few carbs from vegetables, then add fat. I also use coconut oil or heavy whipped cream or butter in my coffee and tea.

I started by just adding fat to what you are eating. This actually boosted my weight loss and metabolism; severe calorie restriction was slowing my metabolism to conserve energy. It was scary to start adding fat, but, after 35 years of diet failures I decided to commit to it for a month and see what happened. I was shocked to find I had hit upon the only way of eating that I could adopt for life and lose weight with no hunger, no cravings, and no constantly thinking about food.

You mention your intense attraction to cheesecake. I had that too and it was just as bad with LC cheesecake, whey protein shakes, greek yogurt, cream cheese, sour cream, meaning that dairy proteins are the culprit, not just sugar. I could not get below 150 lbs until I eliminated all dairy except for ~2T butter and ~2T HWC per day, since they have only minute amounts of carbs and proteins - casein, whey and other "milk solids". My chronic sinus congestion also disappeared.

I've found that all the foods I had intense cravings for in the past contain something I am sensitive to. They are insulinogenic and dairy contains opioid peptides that many find addictive. When I avoid these things and eat yummy fatty ketogenic foods instead, the cravings completely disappear. It only takes ~3 days of "clean" eating.

wow congrats on your successfull diet
sounds too good to be true though but if i go with your way it would be fantastic i love animal fat,butter,meat,chicken,fish etc. Especially lamb i can eat the fat inside a lambs tail

i already prepared my tomorrow's meal with your directions, marinated chicken thighs with real organic butter and placed in fridge.

I ve one question is olive oil good to go for making my own mayo? yes i ll eat mayonese too!!

this sounds awesome.

still i ll only have one meal a day for weight loss probably 600-700 cal.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-15, 14:51

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Yes, olive oil is good; I use it to make mayo too.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-15, 05:45

BF:
Progress:

ok ,
didin't have any breakfast as usual only green tea.
as you suggested i had a full fat meal 10 mins ago.
2 chicken thighs with skin on marinated with real butter fried in philips airfryer(damn the smell was heaven)
after it is cooked there was lots of manly fat dripped down to the fryer , i mean it was like a cup of fat!
i dripped that over the chickens and eat them all with my salad .

Old me would eat that with french fries and a desert .
after eating i would fall a sleep or feel like in slow motion most probably because my blood sugar or insulin whatever it is would sky rocket!

Now I feel awesome I have all the energy in the world.

Drinking my coke zero though.

And yesterday when i was sleeping i had so bad metalic taste in my mouth which should mean my body is burning fats!
I did cut down my water intake normally i would drink 4.5 lt a day. yesterday only got 2lts.
Feel like guinea pig.

I wont eat again today , probably got enough calories with all the fat.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 05:02

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Wahoo.. that's how I eat. If you put six strips of bacon and four eggs with that chicken.... would have split it to two meals first one 11am and last one 2pm. I lost that fast... I was boring.. almost exactly the same thing day to day for my first three months of eating. I had to make and drink bone broth though...use pink Himalayan salt in it.. couple times a day.

And I drink almost a gallon of water every day..and never tea.. I have thyroid disease.. so no green tea or black.. fluoride problems.

I've been maintaining for a little over 13 years.. I eat a bit more than that above now... but not a lot, lol. And I'm happy with it and some other meats and cheese now... anytime I feel like I may be in danger of being tempted...I have a little more fat that day.. coconut oil.. maybe a 'fat bomb' w/coconut oil, butter and a little baker's chocolate melted... and that stuff goes away.

I wish you the best of life and losing the weight but gaining perspective and exploring new things!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 05:18

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderpam
Wahoo.. that's how I eat. If you put six strips of bacon and four eggs with that chicken.... would have split it to two meals first one 11am and last one 2pm. I lost that fast... I was boring.. almost exactly the same thing day to day for my first three months of eating. I had to make and drink bone broth though...use pink Himalayan salt in it.. couple times a day.

And I drink almost a gallon of water every day..and never tea.. I have thyroid disease.. so no green tea or black.. fluoride problems.

I've been maintaining for a little over 13 years.. I eat a bit more than that above now... but not a lot, lol. And I'm happy with it and some other meats and cheese now... anytime I feel like I may be in danger of being tempted...I have a little more fat that day.. coconut oil.. maybe a 'fat bomb' w/coconut oil, butter and a little baker's chocolate melted... and that stuff goes away.

I wish you the best of life and losing the weight but gaining perspective and exploring new things!

you guys are inspiration to me. to bad i can't eat pig meat would be great supply for animal fat

I am switching from chicken to lamb meat today check my fat bomb lamb ribs i just prepared for today

wnt to clinic today to check my sugar levels, it was 116 before i started the diet today it is 103.. still not great would like it below 100.

#12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 05:57

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

Eating high fat and keeping track of my calories has made a world of difference for me this time around. In the past I would eat all I wanted without even thinking about calories but now its very importand to keep track of them because of my age. When you look at a food diary of high fat eating, you SEE that you are not eating a large amount but you FEEL like you did. This was a hard lesson for me to learn. Hopefully you will learn it early. You are doing great!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 06:04

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbagram
Eating high fat and keeping track of my calories has made a world of difference for me this time around. In the past I would eat all I wanted without even thinking about calories but now its very importand to keep track of them because of my age. When you look at a food diary of high fat eating, you SEE that you are not eating a large amount but you FEEL like you did. This was a hard lesson for me to learn. Hopefully you will learn it early. You are doing great!

it is all bones with fat around probably 70-80gr meat 100gr fat on that .i hope i ve no idea how much calories on this?

edit: couldn't eat it all 2 ribs tomorrow

Last edited by uberfat : Mon, Apr-27-15 at 06:42.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 06:41

BF:

Looks awesome.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 06:47

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Looks awesome.

and it tastes like heaven This lamb is full grass fed before my diet i could eat 3X more . you should see my homemade cheesecakes