Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 11:28

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradasky
I think I am being misunderstood.

It was my ketones that went from .4 to 1.8. My glucose is fine. No insulin there, just a longer time of fasting that showed a huge jump in ketones.
My question was - were your ketones low, because of an influx of glucose from your liver. Not that you were measuring glucose - I get that you are not.

As I understand it, if glucose goes high for a bit, ketones go low, and vice versa.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 12:42

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
My question was - were your ketones low, because of an influx of glucose from your liver. Not that you were measuring glucose - I get that you are not.

As I understand it, if glucose goes high for a bit, ketones go low, and vice versa.

Seejay, do you have a source for that statement about glucose and ketones? I've been doing a Fat Fast (about 1200 calories, fat/carbs/protein = 82%/5%/12%) the last five days and losing weight, but I'm puzzled by the fact that my morning fasting BG has gone up. Everyone else seems to have their FBG go down on a high fat, low carb diet, why the heck would mine start averaging 10 points higher than usual?
  #123   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 14:15

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle2003
I'm puzzled by the fact that my morning fasting BG has gone up. Everyone else seems to have their FBG go down on a high fat, low carb diet, why the heck would mine start averaging 10 points higher than usual?

Mine's gone up.
  #124   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 14:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Deeper ketosis and more (stored) fat burning. I'm already doing JUDDD and I'm kind of enjoying my 500 calorie days now. As you've noted, those times when you don't eat, the ketosis gets crazy high. Your ketosis is usually around .4-.6 isn't it? I thought that was just barely into NK. Wasn't NK .5 - 5? I forgot now!

The reason I asked about dairy and insulin is because insulin might be part of what is keeping fat locked away in fat cells.

When I do this, I'll try it without dairy. That'll be a challenge since dairy fat is so easy to use and other sources not so much. I'll just need to use a lot of butter based sauces, or ghee, depending on how fanatical I get. Oh... bacon. Lots of bacon!

My ketones are in the lower range in the AM as I have shown the last two days. Taken mid-day, still fasting, they are much higher, yesterday 1.8 and today 1.1

My insulin is fine, in the 80s and 90s which is normal, not reacting to my dairy. I will be interested to see what happens with your experiment.
  #125   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 15:09

BF:

Quote:
Seejay, do you have a source for that statement about glucose and ketones? I've been doing a Fat Fast (about 1200 calories, fat/carbs/protein = 82%/5%/12%) the last five days and losing weight, but I'm puzzled by the fact that my morning fasting BG has gone up. Everyone else seems to have their FBG go down on a high fat, low carb diet, why the heck would mine start averaging 10 points higher than usual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
Mine's gone up.

Look at how much protein you are eating and when. Do you have a large amount in the evening? Do you chk FG after meals to see if it is elevated? You can gauge from that, too.

Some very good information on this http://paleohacks.com/questions/108...s#axzz22KaX77fu

Also read this thread, all very interesting, but I get the idea that for some it can take time....

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/d...lood-sugar.html

Last edited by Aradasky : Wed, Aug-01-12 at 15:15.
  #126   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 15:57

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Peter from Hylperlipid talks about this.

Physiological insulin resistance: Clarification of FBG

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot....on%20of%2 0FBG
Quote:
A LC eater has a FBG of 5.5mmol/l, technically pre diabetic, but blood insulin is 3.5 IU/ml. This is VERY low. Glucose is in very short supply but blood glucose is maintained by physiological insulin resistance, ie the muscles are full of triglycerides assembled from free fatty acids (NEFA) from lipolysis. The LC eater has breakfast, with enough protein from his eggs or particularly casein from his yoghurt to raise insulin from 3.5 IU/ml to 5.0IU/ml. This inhibits lipolysis enough to reduce NEFA in the bloodstream, intramuscular triglycerides fall and muscle insulin sensitivity returns. There's minimal glucose coming from the gut and so plasma glucose drops to between 4.0 and 5.0mmol/l, probably nearer 4.0mmol/l. It fluctuates between 4.0 and 5.0 after and between each LC meal. In the early hours of the morning there is a growth hormone surge and NEFA from lipolysis peak early morning to give insulin resistant muscles and an elevated FBG.

MEAN glucose over 24h will be in 4 point somethingish, HbA1c will be between 4 and 5%. INSULIN will probably average out around 5-10 IU/ml, averaged out over 24h.

A SAD eater has a FBG of 5.5, prediabetic, because he is prediabetic. His muscles and liver are permanently and pathologically insulin resistant. His pancreas is cranking out 50 IU/ml of insulin to just keep that FBG in the 5.5mmol/l range. He eats bagels, jam and a large mocha for breakfast and his blood glucose hits 15mmol/l. His pancreas ups the insulin output as high as it can get it, perhaps to 150 IU/ml and just manages to to get blood glucose back down to 5.5mmol/l before lunch. Lunch is pasta and the cycle repeats.

Mean glucose over 24 hours will be between 7 and 12mmol/l. HbA1c might just hover around 7%. INSULIN will average 100 IU/ml over the 24 hours.

It's also in "Good Calories, Bad Calories" in the section about Le Magnin and his obesity research.
  #127   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 16:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Rosedale's recommendations for protein are a lot lower than Phinney's. His were .5 to 1.0 per kg.
  #128   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 16:45

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260

Thanks Seejay and Aradasky for those links. I'm still working my way through them but so far it's very interesting. I'm guessing mine is a case of PhIR. I'm only going to be doing this very, very low carb, very high fat thing for a few more days, so it will be interesting to see what my FBG does when I go back to more 'normal' low carb eating. Oh, and I'm obviously not taking in too much protein - I'm only averaging 34g/day, much less than I usually eat.

I am now even more interested in finding out what my A1c levels are. My stupid HMO doc won't do that test for me, despite the fact that my FBG is usually about 110 and I'm an obese older woman who is obviously at risk of developing Type II diabetes. Hell, if I had been eating the SAD the last few years I'd probably be on insulin by now. I like the guy but it may be time to change doctors.
  #129   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 17:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay

No, Seejay, yesterday and today my fasting glucose was in the normal range when I was low on ketones. Although the first few days, it was high.
  #130   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 18:30

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:
...Next will be my overload on carbs for one day to see how long it takes to gat back to NK.

I think this will be very interesting. I think it's great that you are experimenting like this and posting your results, Aradasky. Thank you for your time and effort to do this for us !
  #131   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 21:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish
I think this will be very interesting. I think it's great that you are experimenting like this and posting your results, Aradasky. Thank you for your time and effort to do this for us !

#132   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 22:03

BF:

I have added some to my post #117 including this:
I have decided to do my high carb day tomorrow. My daughter just made cookies for my DH for his birthday and I am going to have one. LOL I am also going to eat fruit and chocolate and whatever comes along that is not wheat (except the cookie). I expect Friday will be a low Ketone day and even take a while to get back if what Phinney said is true for me.
  #133   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 08:36

BF:

DAY 18 August 2, 2012

XXXXX RATED for low carbers
Weight 150.4 (I am trying high carb for Nutritional Ketosis and hope I get a leptin reset)
I started my high carb day this morning, I did not take any blood tests. I will just before lunch when I have decided to. I am going to list my food but not strictly count calories or carbs. I will keep a carb count going in my app and am going to try to get to 250 – 300 carbs with fruit, chocolate and a cookie.

1 coconut flour blueberry (double berries!oh my gosh!!!) muffin C 7g (3 net) then
banana, brussel sprouts, grapes, two pcs flat bread w/peanut butter (At this point, it is noon here and I am SOOOO full !! at 95 carbs (81 net carbs).

I tested glucose-111 which is normal for everything I have been eating and Ketones, at this time of day it has been over 1 and even close to 2 and it was .3, showing I am not in NK.

I added a peach, brusselsprouts, 1/2 cob of incredibly sweet corn, hamburger bun,almonds, two cookies and some chocolate. Oh my. I can't say exactly, but I am pretty sure I am over 200 carbs and heaven only knows the calories... That is all. I cannot force anything more in.....

I do not feel any different, tired, but after getting dinner organized and pretty much ready for all of us,that is to be expected. We had the BEST hamburgers and corn.

So now we see what happens tomorrow.

Last edited by Aradasky : Thu, Aug-02-12 at 20:29.
  #134   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 09:40

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
I am now even more interested in finding out what my A1c levels are.

Walmart sells a Reli-On test your A1c at home kit you mail in to get your results. At last check I think it was only about nine dollars.
  #135   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 11:07

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 228/174/169 Male 69in
BF: Beach Fanatic!
Progress: 92%

Quote:
... chocolate and a cookie.

Arrgghhh!!! Don't do it!!

Actually this makes me feel more ok about posting pictures of the off-the-scale carb-fest my co-workers staged in the office today. I had to have the willpower dialed way up all day. Photos in my journal definitely XXX for low carbers...