Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-12, 13:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase
Thanks for sharing Arlene. However, you demonstrate why -- for me -- I was thinking that LC wouldn't be a good fit, despite my liking of the LC science.

I travel for a living, and really can't see myself doing what you are doing. I had THOUGHT, that if one weren't in Ketosis, then LC didn't work...the whole "eat carbs, get kicked out".

That may be true, but that's not the same thing as saying there is no benefit to LCHF unless one is in ketosis. At least I hope it's true. I've been losing by counting my calories, and then starting to "Make the Better Choice" to choose LCHF foods more often. But I'm not anywhere near low enough for ketosis.

I am losing, though.

My husband is where you are, he is traveling about 75% of the time and there is no way he can eat as strict as I do at home, or as I can do for him at home. I had a hard time traveling, just recently. He has made significant changes, tho, eggs and bacon for breakfast instead of cereal, fruit and a sweet roll, salad for lunch instead of a "healthy" sandwich, and no potatoes or fries for dinner. He is losing and loves eating this way as much as he can. If it is working for you.... do not change it. Even lowering the carbs is good, you do not have to be where I am right now to lose.

With me, my body, I am finding that this is where I feel good.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-12, 13:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
95g of protein doesn't seem like it is really less than I was eating before when I was doing VLC.

What's their position on fiber? Count it as carb?

Nancy, I looked through the book several times, for information on carbs vs net carbs. I am assuming they are talking carbs (fiber included). I am finding that if I keep my net carbs below or at 30 that my carb level is in their acceptable range of 60 or less a day.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-12, 13:42

BF:

How can I make this easy for you all to follow? I find I cannot edit the first post and add to it.

DAY 4 Thursday July 19
Weight (hmmm, at 5 am it was 152.2 then came a complete lower digestive clean out –unbidden- and water aerobics and I was 151.6. I think I had better go with 152.2 LOL)
Fasting glucose 107 ** see below
Fasting Ketones .2 (How the heck did Jimmy Moore get to .5 in two days? Might be my higher glucose.)

1885 calories
33 g carbs (19 net)
65 g protein
173 g fat

**Okay, I have allowed myself to keep one thing, a habit that is going to make this way of eating a permanent thing for me. It is a comfort thing, I guess. After dinner, I have a snack, one that is built into my day's planning. After I came home from my trip, I found the jar of peanut butter in the fridge and started mixing it with my coconut oil for a snack. I think that is the reason for the highest fasting glucose reading I have had since I started this WOE. It is gone. Now I try coconut oil and an ounce of macadamia nuts for a snack.

Last edited by Aradasky : Fri, Jul-20-12 at 09:25.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-12, 14:31

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Can you ask about that on the technical board? Maybe one of the mods can help you.

I think this experiment would be helpful to see how well net carbs actually work. Whenever I was losing I didn't use net carbs. I'm diabetic though.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-12, 14:43

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 230/230/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Okay, I have allowed myself to keep one thing, a habit that is going to make this way of eating a permanent thing for me. It is a comfort thing, I guess. After dinner, I have a snack, one that is built into my day's planning. After I came home from my trip, I found the jar of peanut butter in the fridge and started mixing it with my coconut oil for a snack. I think that is the reason for the highest fasting glucose reading I have had since I started this WOE. It is gone. Now I try coconut oil and an ounce of macadamia nuts for a snack.

I bet you would enjoy coconut butter. You can buy it in a jar but it's expensive, or you can make your own with shredded, unsweetened coconut. I make my own and add a bit of coconut oil as it helps it blend more smoothly. I warm it up a little and eat it with a spoon. It tastes great (has a natural sweetness without adding anything sweet) and it's very filling. Since it's all coconut, it's good for you, too.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-12, 14:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've made some of that too. It is VERY good.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-12, 14:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Can you include the day # in your updates so we know how long it takes for you to get into n. ketosis? Thanks!
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-12, 16:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Can you include the day # in your updates so we know how long it takes for you to get into n. ketosis? Thanks!

Yes I will . Thanks for the idea.....
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-12, 16:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz
I bet you would enjoy coconut butter. You can buy it in a jar but it's expensive, or you can make your own with shredded, unsweetened coconut. I make my own and add a bit of coconut oil as it helps it blend more smoothly. I warm it up a little and eat it with a spoon. It tastes great (has a natural sweetness without adding anything sweet) and it's very filling. Since it's all coconut, it's good for you, too.

I have a huge amount of shredded, unsweetened coconut.... Have to go research this... I love coconut. Thank you!
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-12, 00:19

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

Subscribing to this thread.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-12, 09:25

BF:

DAY 5 July 20, 2012
Weight 152 (!!! YEA loss of 1.3lbs even tho I was not in NK yesterday)

Fasting Glucose 102**
Fasting ketones (tomorrow)

1764 calories (I was seriously not hungry. I added olive oil to veges to get calories and fat in)
43 g carbs (25 net)
55 g protein
161 g fat

** this is not a crisis, but higher than I have been since I started. It is puzzling as I am closely watching carbs and protein, both supposed to be insulin-producing agents. I think it may have to do with my evening snack. I mixed ½ cup of unsweetened, shredded coconut in 1Tbs coconut oil and 1 oz macadamia nuts at 8:30pm. I am going to try 2 oz of macadamia nuts only tonight. It turns out mixing ½ c shredded coconut and 1 tbs coconut oil gives me
259 cals
3.6 net carbs
3 g sugar
27 g fat

While 2 oz of raw macadamia nuts
406 calories
3 net carbs
2 g sugar
4.4 g protein
43 g fat

DH is home from traveling and it is almost impossible to sit near him while he is snacking. If my glucose is still high tomorrow, then I will play with it more starting Sunday when he is gone again for a week.

Also having a major clean out of digestive system, unexpected. Coconut does produce that effect, although.

I am also taking Natural Calm ½ tsp and 2 SlowMags at night for leg cramps. I started taking it before bedtime, changed from AM, on my trip and was not checking my glucose then. That may be something else to look at. (Oh, I hope this is not it, my nightly leg cramps are finally almost completely gone and I sleep better than ever!)

Last edited by Aradasky : Fri, Jul-20-12 at 17:20.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-12, 11:18

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Hi Arlene, I am following your experiment with great interest. Thank you for sharing it with us.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-12, 11:54

Plan: No factory-processed food
Stats: 230/147/147 Male 5' 10"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauve
Hi Arlene, I am following your experiment with great interest. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Great to see you experimenting. Hardcore low carb frightens the wits out of me. The couple of times I tried it, my innards resembled the Portland Cement works.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-12, 12:06

Plan: No factory-processed food
Stats: 230/147/147 Male 5' 10"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradasky
DAY 5 July 20, 2012
Weight 152 (!!! YEA !! even tho I was not in NK yesterday)
Fasting Glucose 102**
Fasting ketones (tomorrow)
(will fill in nutrition later today)

** this is not a crisis, but higher than I have been since I started. It is puzzling as I am closely watching carbs and protein, both supposed to be insulin-producing agents. I think it may have to do with my evening snack. I mixed ½ cup of unsweetened, shredded coconut in 1Tbs coconut oil and 1 oz macadamia nuts at 8:30pm. I am going to try 2 oz of macadamia nuts only tonight. It turns out mixing ½ c shredded coconut and 1 tbs coconut oil gives me
259 cals
3.6 net carbs
3 g sugar
27 g fat

While 2 oz of raw macadamia nuts
406 calories
3 net carbs
2 g sugar
4.4 g protein
43 g fat

DH is home from traveling and it is almost impossible to sit near him while he is snacking. If my glucose is still high tomorrow, then I will play with it more starting Sunday when he is gone again for a week.

Also having a major clean out of digestive system, unexpected. Coconut does produce that effect, although.

I am also taking Natural Calm ½ tsp and 2 SlowMags at night for leg cramps. I started taking it before bedtime, changed from AM, on my trip and was not checking my glucose then. That may be something else to look at. (Oh, I hope this is not it, my nightly leg cramps are finally almost completely gone and I sleep better than ever!)

Are you drinking enough water? Good for the blood sugar.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-12, 13:26

Plan: No added sugar/nostarches
Stats: 193/174/170 Male 6'-0"
BF:
Progress: 83%

Psyllium husk. And moderation, IMHO.