Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-12, 21:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
Whenever my new meter arrives I'm thinking to try and test when my worst time of day is, whenever the ketones would be their lowest, which is sounding like it would be in the morning before food. I'm curious to know if my body maintains a state of nutritional ketosis even in the absence of coconut oil or other stuff that would prompt ketosis. The urine test sticks suggest I do, but it will be interesting to do the more accurate test with the meter and see if it confirms that or not.

If it is like mine, that seems to be the lowest time of the day and mine tested low, below NK even when I tested high later. It will be interesting to see what happens for you. Be sure to post that you have started, here.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-12, 21:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdynyc
Verrrry Interesting! in my best Colonel Klink imitation.
Now I'm going to keep a watch on you!

Made me giggle! It will be interesting......
  #153   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 08:16

BF:

DAY 20 August 4, 2012
Weight 151.6*
Glucose 90
Ketones .4**

1491 Calories (NOT hungry)
34 g carbs (23 net)
71 g protein
123 g fat

*Okay, when does this leptin reset thingy kick in?
** this is after coffee, HWC and 1Tbs coconut oil.

(Sorry this is posted late, but today was an intense 3 grandsons day.)

Last edited by Aradasky : Sat, Aug-04-12 at 20:47.
  #154   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 08:53
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradasky
DAY 20 August 4, 2012
Weight 151.6*

Facts later

I think that its taken my body 3-4 days to respond to a carb up.
  #155   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 10:20
Registered Member

Stats: 160/157/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
Whenever my new meter arrives I'm thinking to try and test when my worst time of day is, whenever the ketones would be their lowest, which is sounding like it would be in the morning before food. I'm curious to know if my body maintains a state of nutritional ketosis even in the absence of coconut oil or other stuff that would prompt ketosis. The urine test sticks suggest I do, but it will be interesting to do the more accurate test with the meter and see if it confirms that or not.

I only have the ketostix and not a meter, but when I test first thing in the AM, I'm on "trace" and when I test before bed, I'm at small or medium even though I haven't eaten for hours! But they are consistent with never being higher than trace first thing upon waking and never below small at night.

And, my books came yesterday (Phinney's Art & Science of LC, and the one that is about performance that just came out). Can't wait to read them as I'm very discouraged.....nearly a year of LC and strict induction and only one pound lost.
  #156   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 11:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You're pretty close to a normal weight, Shelliek. I know just plain-old LC doesn't work when I'm even within 30 pounds of normal. Maybe NK does, haven't tried it yet, but so far the only thing that does work is calorie restriction of some sort. I'm doing JUDDD at the moment.
  #157   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 11:09
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
DAY 20 August 4, 2012
Weight 151.6*

Facts later

I'm of the mind it won't. High insulin levels might block leptin from reaching the brain. Where'd you hear eating carbs did that?
  #158   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 11:14
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
All I know is that I found the best reading after my coffee w/cream and coconut oil in the mornings.

As you can see, I did NOT show high levels of ketones after this mornings normal coffee, cream and coconut oil taken at the same time as usual.

You had a carb-up though, right?

Once you get back down to NK level, try taking your ketones after coffee & cream without the coconut oil.

From what I read about MCT's is that they're drawn out of the GI tract and used immediately as ketones. They even bypass the usual bile duct stuff and processing other fats have to go through. It sounds like a very fast process. I suppose this is why they give these fats to people whose digestion is badly compromised.
  #159   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 11:33

Stats: 148.6/142.0/140 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Shelliek, are you tracking/limiting your protein? I've only been low-carb 3 months, so I don't have as much experience as you. But I only lose weight when I keep protein about 75-100 g/day (for me that is 1-1.5 g/kg body weight).
  #160   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 12:31

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I also think protein can be a problem if too much of it is eaten. Still using the ketostix type product I'm seeing the darker higher color readings even in the mornings before eating or exercise after consciously reducing my protein grams to somewhere around the 70's per day. But too much protein at a meal sends it back to trace or even nothing and takes many hours to restore those stronger colors on the stick. I read somewhere that maybe over half of the protein we eat is converted into glucose. I'm guessing that refers to the surplus of protein we didn't need to use for rebuilding muscles and similar stuff. So I'm trying to be pretty careful striking a balance about how much protein I eat per meal and per day to get enough but not too much that might convert into excess glucose beyond my body's needs and maybe take me out of ketosis. I found sugar alcohols might not be so great, either.
  #161   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 14:21
Registered Member

Stats: 160/157/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 12%

My protein used to be in the 90's and i'ts been in the 60's for about a month to try that approach.....no change. My carbs are usually in the 20's and net carbs are in the teens. My fat is high. I'm doing all the right things.

Nancy, you made me laugh over me being close to my goal. I was 130 for most of my adult life until a few years ago. The only time I have gotten close to getting it off was doing a nonfat eating plan with low calories...ie., "starving myself" I guess. I feel healthy, but I am "fat". I am cellulite ridden and my stomach looks pregnant most of the time. I"m about ready to bag Atkins and go to Protein Power and having some fruits and GF toast once a week. The weight I am at now is the same as I was when I ate whatever I wanted!!!! So, it seems all this measuring/weighing/recording of everything that goes in my mouth is not changing a thing...unless, as my hubby says, just maybe it's keeping me stalled instead of major gains???

I think what scares me is when people say they cheat and then it takes up to 6 months to get back on track! I don't want to have to repeat all these good habits. :-)
  #162   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 20:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I think that its taken my body 3-4 days to respond to a carb up.

Thanks Judy... I will be looking forward to it! LOL
  #163   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 21:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
You had a carb-up though, right?

Once you get back down to NK level, try taking your ketones after coffee & cream without the coconut oil.

From what I read about MCT's is that they're drawn out of the GI tract and used immediately as ketones. They even bypass the usual bile duct stuff and processing other fats have to go through. It sounds like a very fast process. I suppose this is why they give these fats to people whose digestion is badly compromised.

It definately was a carb up and I took it to the max for a cycling just to see what would happen.

Sure, but what is it you arel looking for Nancy? I need to know so I can judge whether to eat or not with my coffee. I always have some fat for breakfast, coconut oil or butter or more cream, even when I travel and usually do not eat my eggs or whatever until lunch. Would you like me to have a tablespoon of butter? A real bulletproof coffee?

Last edited by Aradasky : Sat, Aug-04-12 at 21:56.
  #164   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-12, 09:42

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelliek
I"m about ready to bag Atkins and go to Protein Power and having some fruits and GF toast once a week.

That's fine. I just hope you don't get discouraged and give up on low carb entirely, especially if you have any close relatives with diabetes like I do. My weight loss record on low carb has actually been fairly dismal (I don't update my stats here or they'd be some ups and downs in weight). Reducing calories does seem necessary for my weight to budge downward when I can get it to at all, which is why I'm experimenting with true nutritional ketosis to see if that helps any. The reason I stay on low carb though regardless of weight loss or not is with my personal and family history health I'm at high risk of diabetes, probably would already have it if not for low carb. My fasting glucose has lately returned to the normal range (especially since starting nutritional ketosis with cutting way back on already fairly low carbs and some on protein). I also don't spike on glucose after meals due to not eating the carbs that fuel sugar spikes, so even if I never get thin at least I know I'm doing all I can to dodge the horrible effects of diabetes.
  #165   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-12, 09:50
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Sure, but what is it you arel looking for Nancy? I need to know so I can judge whether to eat or not with my coffee. I always have some fat for breakfast, coconut oil or butter or more cream, even when I travel and usually do not eat my eggs or whatever until lunch. Would you like me to have a tablespoon of butter? A real bulletproof coffee?

Well, we know that MCT makes ketones very quickly, so if you're looking for accurate numbers, I wouldn't use the coconut oil before testing.

Butter or any other sort should be fine. I usually eat bacon when I'm wanting something fatty. How about some bacon grease in your coffee? No?