Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 15:29
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
I didn't get the impression that this thread was about 'bashing' at all...I can see the "hmmmm...." thing quite clearly.

I do agree with "When does the madness stop?" - well put. At some point, you have to go back to the drawing board, and get back to basics. Don't get me wrong, I tried all kinds of "things" along the way too, but very boring old basic low-carb (all whole foods) is the thing that actually works.

I do agree with much of what's been said in this thread, my little mini-rant was more about saying that I think most of us have been caught in these little traps from time to time.

Meanwhile, I think it would be very wise to go back to Atkins induction or whatever his preferred plan is, MINUS any and all sweeteners. No Splenda, no Diet Coke, no LC desserts, no bars. Absolutely none. I bet the weight would just fly off. Nothing that comes in a box or package for a 30-day period. No Dreamfields, no invented 'crackers'. No going over the limit for cheese or cream either.

It's *tough*, but it works (most of the time)

I agree with EVERYTHING in this post.

I didn't want this to be a bash JM, throw JM under the bus discussion. I thought some of the comments "harsh" and that is no understatement coming from me--you guys know me, I'm the queen of "harsh"

I'm glad that that the consensus of one--Citrus--doesn't get that impression, and Citrus, I always value the thought put in your posts.

We all get caught at one time or another at different degrees--the qustion is, do we keep making the same mistakes over and over, or do we finally learn from them.

My fear is that I know what needs to be done in order for me to stay successful, the scary question for me is I hope I don't get to a point where I've lost my mind and just don't have the energy or inclination. Cause this takes both energy and inclination.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 17:32

Plan: Optimal diet/One free day
Stats: 300/175/165 Male 5ft9in
BF:
Progress: 93%

While I did say its all calories I also say alot that you need to boost the metabolism so that cutting calories causes weightloss again.He needs to either bump up his calories or bring them down.Where he is right now is plateau land and he is the only one who will change that.

Dreamfields has been on his dinner plate for many days it seems.Thats kinda weird since it really shouldn't be eaten for the plain fact that its not digestible and hence doesn't boost metabolism.Meaning he is eating a dinner with few calories unless he is boosting up with high fat sauces up the wazoo.
  #108   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 17:49

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 243/220/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by margot
ZIOH is not 'blocked'. Anyone can read anything they want on that forum. Non-members cannot post, that is the only thing....

http://forum.zeroinginonhealth.com/...ead.php?tid=364

there are some parts of the forum that are blocked to non members. I am not sure what I can't see, but things like the meatup info is blocked.
  #109   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 18:28

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 211/212/210 Male 72
BF:
Progress: -100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
One thing that separates Jimmy from a typical blogger is I'm pretty sure he makes his living that way.

I do feel for his struggle because I share it. As I'm getting older what used to work isn't working any longer. And it isn't because I'm abusing "franken" foods. I eat them very rarely. Right now I'm doing all meat and not losing an ounce. Clearly there are other factors at work for some of us.

Oh oh! Be careful, or one of those zero-carbers will start getting in your business, telling you, that you MUST be doing something wrong. Because according to most in the meat only camp, it should literally be impossible to not lose weight on an all meat diet.
  #110   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 19:42

Plan: was Atkins now PāNu
Stats: 292.5/195/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 74%

For the record, Dr. Harris (PaNu) has never pushed PaNu primarily as a way to lose weight but rather to achieve optimal health. If you look at the What Is PaNu? page on his blog, it doesn't mention weight loss at all.

He has one blog entry, very short, on weight loss. This is a quote from that entry:
Quote:
From PaNu:
"PaNu is not a weight loss program. It is a healthy eating regime that also happens to be the most powerful and simplest (not easiest, necessarily) regime that I have encountered to achieve your genetically determined normal lean body weight."

PaNu has shifted my focus away from "weight loss to get healthy" to "get healthy and the rest will follow" and I appreciate Dr. Harris' honest, scientific approach.
  #111   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 09:42

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sln88
there are some parts of the forum that are blocked to non members. I am not sure what I can't see, but things like the meatup info is blocked.

The only areas not visible to guests are the meatups and the moderator discussion areas.
  #112   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 10:31
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb / Warrior Diet
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

Well, for comparison:

This does not look healthy or low carb (scroll down for picture): http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/?p=6797

But he looks hot and a great LC example:

http://www.paleonu.com/

I wish Jimmy would at least do the PaNu LC version--commit fully for 3 months, and post his results.
  #113   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 11:03

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

I don't see any full body shots of Kurt Harris though. Or am I blind and it is on his website somewhere? I could be.

Harris has not fought a weight problem all his life, so his metabolism is inherently different from Jimmy's. I just don’t think someone who was once 410 lbs can be ripped without surgery for excess skin really. Even if Jimmy got to 180 (an optimal weight for his height-I think he is 6'3"), he would need surgery for excess skin and such.

I am not comfortable with the idea that Jimmy is a failure because he is not ripped. I think Jimmy's problem is he needs a whole food low carb diet, rather than a product filled one.
  #114   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 11:06
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet
I am not comfortable with the idea that Jimmy is a failure because he is not ripped. I think Jimmy's problem is he needs a whole food low carb diet, rather than a product filled one.

Completely agree, Scarlet. You don't have to be "ripped" to be a healthy, LC example. But Jimmy's obtuseness about what is causing his weight gain and not so optimal body composition is frustrating. It is obvious to any of us.
  #115   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 11:20

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet
I don't see any full body shots of Kurt Harris though. Or am I blind and it is on his website somewhere? I could be.

Here ya go:
http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/...-the-north.html

You have to admit it's far different from Jimmy's build. But of course Dr, Harris has never weighed 410 pounds. It's easier to *stay* in shape than it is to *get* in shape when you have been far out of it for many years. But I do wish Jimmy could at least give up his diet sodas and his Dreamfields pasta.
  #116   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 12:24

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

My thing about spokespeople and role models is just, I appreciate more when a person has either had personal experience (Jimmy) or clinical experience with hundreds of supersize people they have helped (the diet doctors and sometimes fitness pros). All the LC science bloggers who get it and are great with the science have their place but without the clinical practice, personally or professionally, for me it is second tier.

And what is health? Standard medical markers? If so JM is healthy as he says. No longer obese? At what point is extra fat just ok and then flips to being hurtful? We all know association is not causation. The things I would buy as hurtful about extra fat is the inflammation signals and the sheer weight on body mechanics.
  #117   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 13:25
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Here ya go:

You have to admit it's far different from Jimmy's build. But of course Dr, Harris has never weighed 410 pounds. It's easier to *stay* in shape than it is to *get* in shape when you have been far out of it for many years. But I do wish Jimmy could at least give up his diet sodas and his Dreamfields pasta.

WOWZA! I had to laugh, it almost looked like his head was pasted on another body. No expecting a geeky guy like that to be ripped.

and no, the two bodies are like comparing apples to kiwis. Even if JM did get down to 180, he would never look like that unless he worked out and had a whole body lift for his excess skin.

Lisa
  #118   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 13:36
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
WOWZA! I had to laugh, it almost looked like his head was pasted on another body. No expecting a geeky guy like that to be ripped.

and no, the two bodies are like comparing apples to kiwis. Even if JM did get down to 180, he would never look like that unless he worked out and had a whole body lift for his excess skin.

Lisa

Yummy! I wish Dr. Harris were my doctor. I agree that people have different builds, but from what I've seen of studies of the tribes that Dr. Weston Price studied, they were ALL lean with muscle, not like big bodybuilders but more of a natural build. I believe that is how we were all meant to look.

Of course, your previous weight and diet come into play. I'm sure Jimmy could have very good body composition and greatly improved health and reduced cravings if he just went back to 1972 Atkins. He doesn't even have to do Induction level carbs.
  #119   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 15:06

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

See, I don't even think Jimmy needs VLC. He just needs to cut out the junk and treat his thyroid problem. Dr. Davis may know a lot, but he REALLY REALLY knows nothing about the thyroid! Like he thought it was fine for Jimmy to have antibodies against his thyroid! WTH? Thankfully, Jimmy is not listening to that advice!
  #120   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 15:28

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Here ya go:

I'm baaack. I defiitely feel that Jimmy has a problem with these but I think there is someting more systemic going on with Jimmy. No doubt, it was carby,sugary items that got him to the state of obesity in the first place. Since Jimmy was able to replace those items with "LC" substitutes, he probably feels that there is no problems with eating them. He has to get beyond that, and with experiementing, he will eventuallu see the light. However, he is inpriational as he works hard to stay on the straight and narrow. He needs to find what works for him without the denial.