Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-13, 09:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, goat milk is the same issue. Sinus, achy muscles, overeat on it. Bleh. It isn't lactose intolerance, I'm intolerant to the proteins in milk.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-13, 03:29
Registered Member

Plan: general
Stats: 196/162/160 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 94%

just saw your answer.. that is really a shame. Cheese is my staple answer for hungry moments. For lunch break. Dunno what I would do without.
Well having said that I could do without in Malaysia. Lots of seasoned tofu around.. Is that acceptable for you? like it best in hot chilli cocnut marinade
  #153   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-13, 10:02
Experimenter

BF:

I've gone without cheese for quite a long time. I'm surviving! I don't really snack very often but when I do it is usually something like olives or pork rinds. Seriously, I don't miss it that much and from time to time, when I'm going out or eating at a friend's house, I will have some.

I have been toying with the idea of making cheese for friends for xmas. That would be fun!
  #154   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-13, 02:51
Registered Member

BF:

My lunch usually consist of salad and a bit of cheese for protein.
Alternating with a can of fish .. or leftovers.
  #155   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-15, 16:32

Plan: My own
Stats: 208/180/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

Excuse for shameless plug for my book "The World Turned Upside Down. The Second Low Carbohydrate Revolution." Should be out this month but you can buy the Kindle edition at http://amzn.to/1xIqgCa. (You don't need a physical Kindle. You can download the free app on the site. Anyway, I made the point that if you stick a pin in the Larousse Gastronomique, the encyclopedia of Gourmet Cooking, you are within a page or two of a low-carb recipe. I also provide a couple of recipes and thoughts on food. My own experience of people who think that there is not variety on low-carb, when you see what they eat that is high-carb they don't have much variety and they tend to eat the same high carb stuff over and over again.
  #156   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-15, 06:47
Registered Member

BF:
Default Starting over in a new country

So we are moving to another country.
(I must admit I sinned a bit over the winter frost, put some weight on, got stuck into my mum's kosher cookies..
But here I am, I decided to jack in the thyroid hormones as they just seem to make me feel lousy instead of better, yeah you lose weight easily taking them but I can't sleep.)

Now here is the thing. In Costa Rica, you can have high carb or high cholesterol.

Not even cheese is available. Let alone things like tofu, coconut milk, olives, olive oil.

Yes I need your feedback. Who knows some great recipes, PORK and EGG YOKE FREE, not horrible things like chicken skin, feet or wings either please, suitable for a country full of fruit and veg with very limited dairy products.
Ms Feinman, is your book suitable? if so, yes I'll have it.
  #157   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-15, 08:31
Experimenter

BF:

Don't worry about eating cholesterol. Your body produces far more cholesterol than you can ever get from your diet. Pork and eggs are excellent foods. If you keep your carbs low, your cholesterol shouldn't be a concern. Take a look at some of the posts in the "Cholesterol" section, read the book "Cholesterol Clarity" and/or read things written by Gary Taubes, Richard Feinman, Dr. William Davis (Wheat Belly) then stop worry about cholesterol in low carb foods.

Don't abuse thyroid drugs. The weight loss won't stick around and seriously, that's a miserable way to lose weight.
  #158   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-15, 03:29
Registered Member

BF:

Dear Nancy,
the thyroid drugs are on prescription by my doctor. Not my idea. I noticed my results were too high with or without. I have read on the internet that t3 would be better for me but I can't get it here.

About eggs: I am ALLLERGIC , INTOLERANT to egg yoke. it is a pain, it rules out just about every dessert recipe you see here. I like eggs, they just don't like me. egg white is fine.

PORK is something we don't eat. Against my religion. Non negotiable, people have been tricking me into it several times and it is very revolting to have to keep a polite face wanting to run out and throw it up.

And this is my trouble with the recipes here, I remember asking before... Can't be the only Jewess here?
  #159   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-15, 09:07
Experimenter

BF:

For some reason I thought you were avoiding pork and eggs because of cholesterol concerns.

You should be able to find egg free dessert recipes on the internet and adapt them to LC using non-caloric sweeteners, nut-crusts instead of grain-based crust. Post to the Kitchen Talk forum if you need pointers on adapting recipes. Not every recipe will work, but many do.
  #160   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-15, 14:32

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Made Mustard-crusted chicken -- my all-time favorite chicken recipe (at my blog). The only problem with it is... it is torture smelling it cook. You just want to rip the half-cooked thing out of the oven, howl like a wolf, and devour it. But it's best fully cooked, even if enduring the amazing smells is pretty torturous. I'd suggest having a little snack before hand to lessen the copious drool you'll secrete while waiting the 30 minutes for it to cook.

After all these years I'm finally reading this thread. Where's the mustard chicken recipe now? I have a super-complex, time-consuming one from Suzanne Goin that is so delicious you'd never want anything else, but like I said, it's time-consuming.

ETA: I found it:

http://www.kqed.org/w/morefastfoodmyway/episode204.html

I also discovered that I have read and posted in this thread before.

Will try the mustard chicken, though I'll probably just buy thighs.

Last edited by bike2work : Sun, Feb-08-15 at 17:56.
  #161   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-15, 09:18
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah, thighs is easiest and definitely the most delicious part of chicken. Glad you found the recipe. Let me know what you think!
  #162   ^
Old Mon, May-11-15, 10:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 262/244/150 Female 5'6"
BF:yes, yes it is
Progress: 16%

Just to chime in on this old (but still very relevant) thread. I have been doing LC for about 10 weeks now, and find that my appetite is greatly reduced -- partly because that happens on this WOE, but certainly also because I just can't look at another meal of eggs/cheese/meat in ANY combination. I don't eat very much anymore because I'm sick to death of the food! I'm not bored... just sick of it. You may love cheesecake, for example, but not EVERY DAY OF YOUR LIFE. After having your favourite food every single day, you can get sick of anything. My husband BBQ'ed steak last night, which I always love and hardly ever have, and I just thought of it as yet another hunk of meat I had to choke down. After several hours, I had it with some ranch dressing on top just so it wouldn't be wasted. Walking through the grocery store yesterday, I could smell the peaches. "Peaches"! I thought (with an expletive added). To think that it's absolutely forbidden to each a lovely piece of fruit. How can I possibly stay on this WOE long-term? It is neither satisfying or natural. No corn-on-the-cob this summer? No watermelon?
The other side of things is that I have only lost about 17 pounds (12 in the first month; 5 in the past 6 weeks), and I have A LOT to lose, so the pay-off of this restrictive, tedious diet has not been up to expectations. We all have to make our deal with the devil, and I'm starting to think that eating a peach or some corn once in a while -- and staying overweight -- is a valid life choice too. Maybe if I were seeing more results from this diet I would not be feeling so down on it right now.
People on this list say "Stick with it...it WILL pay off", and I know there are lots of success stories out there, but maybe there are some people it just does not work for -- because of medications they take, lack of exercise due to physical problems, being "middle aged", etc. All of which I have.
I wonder how many have resorted to surgery when low-carbing just did not work for them?
sorry to vent...
  #163   ^
Old Mon, May-11-15, 11:26
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
How can I possibly stay on this WOE long-term? It is neither satisfying or natural. No corn-on-the-cob this summer? No watermelon?

That's not exactly right. It just isn't your custom... yet.

I promise, if you stop dwelling on what you can't have and focus on what you can eat, your attitude will change.

I think a lot of what you're believing is tediousness is:

1) You're in the depth of ketosis and it makes everything seem less appetizing. That's a good thing as far as weight loss is concerned.

2) You haven't taken any time to explore some of the other good stuff available. Take a gander at the cooking forums and try the Deep Dish Pizza quiche, or something else that catches your eye.

3) Are you still following induction? Maybe it is time to loosen up a bit have more carbs in the form of vegetables. It'll take you out of super-deep ketosis where food starts looking unappealing and your appetite will kick in a bit more. Have some caramelized onions and mushrooms with your steak.

Read the rest of the thread for even more ideas, if you haven't already.

All diets are restrictive.
  #164   ^
Old Mon, May-11-15, 12:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtydd
Just to chime in on this old (but still very relevant) thread. I have been doing LC for about 10 weeks now, and find that my appetite is greatly reduced -- partly because that happens on this WOE, but certainly also because I just can't look at another meal of eggs/cheese/meat in ANY combination. I don't eat very much anymore because I'm sick to death of the food! I'm not bored... just sick of it. You may love cheesecake, for example, but not EVERY DAY OF YOUR LIFE. After having your favourite food every single day, you can get sick of anything. My husband BBQ'ed steak last night, which I always love and hardly ever have, and I just thought of it as yet another hunk of meat I had to choke down. After several hours, I had it with some ranch dressing on top just so it wouldn't be wasted. Walking through the grocery store yesterday, I could smell the peaches. "Peaches"! I thought (with an expletive added). To think that it's absolutely forbidden to each a lovely piece of fruit. How can I possibly stay on this WOE long-term? It is neither satisfying or natural. No corn-on-the-cob this summer? No watermelon?
The other side of things is that I have only lost about 17 pounds (12 in the first month; 5 in the past 6 weeks), and I have A LOT to lose, so the pay-off of this restrictive, tedious diet has not been up to expectations. We all have to make our deal with the devil, and I'm starting to think that eating a peach or some corn once in a while -- and staying overweight -- is a valid life choice too. Maybe if I were seeing more results from this diet I would not be feeling so down on it right now.
People on this list say "Stick with it...it WILL pay off", and I know there are lots of success stories out there, but maybe there are some people it just does not work for -- because of medications they take, lack of exercise due to physical problems, being "middle aged", etc. All of which I have.
I wonder how many have resorted to surgery when low-carbing just did not work for them?
sorry to vent...

Thats why I love this way of eatiing - freedom from food!! Its fuel, it no longer rules my life, I eat when I'm hungry and I no longer wander around thinking "what can I eat next" I couldnt care less about cheesecakes or sweet stuff or any of it. Its all boring in the end and if its not, then you eat too much of it until it is lol. My mind is free from it and I am so much fitter, healthier.... oh and slim. I feel so much better on this WOE, that being slim is almost secondary!!

Jo xxx
  #165   ^
Old Mon, May-11-15, 20:30

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I keep reading about those who put food in the "fuel" category; it is no longer an obsession, and I suppose that is a good thing ... for some. Now me ... I love food ... GOOD food. Today I was going over my journal from a recent trip out of the country, and found numerous references to the meals I ate (and there were photos too!) Most of it was low carb, and that's not hard as I quite like this way of eating (rare kangaroo steak, anyone? Really good!) I am ALWAYS thinking about food, what to cook next ... and HOW TO MAKE IT LOW CARB! Always thinking about what I can't/shouldn't eat? No, not so much. But there are so many things that are good, and allowed, why would I want to waste my time like that? Hey, if it works for you, thats great. For me, one of my greatest pleasures is eating good food; another is planning and cooking the meal. And another is surfing the web looking for great - low carb - ideas. And by "good food" I mean fresh, whole foods, local and organic when feasable. Pizza and tacos, and their ilk, to me, have never fallen in that catagory - I have eaten them when out with others, but they would never be my first choice. I'm thinking more of rare roast beef with Bearnaise sauce (SOOOO much easier to make than pizza), or vegetable soup with lamb meatballs, or even a delicious, homemade, meatloaf. So many choices, how can it be boring?