Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 12:41

Plan: HCG
Stats: 28/22/16 Female 72 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig

But truly, I do love making a big batch of something and having it last a long time.

Oh I do too--I have chicken leftover from Monday that's going in a quick mustard cream sauce tonight (that is, if i get home and there's any left!), but I'm just eating so much less protein, and the portion that I usually plan out for myself has shrunk so much that the dog is more than willing to make up the difference. He only get meat from me, as far as people food; its not like I'm going to give him the smoked duck and oyster gumbo I'm thinking of making this weekend.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 16:17

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadge
its not like I'm going to give him the smoked duck and oyster gumbo I'm thinking of making this weekend.

#108   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 18:44

Plan: Atkins / High-Fat
Stats: 168/149/138 Female 5' 8"
BF:size: 12/10/8
Progress: 63%

I cooked a beef roast in the crock pot today, and was planning to save the braising liquid to make some soup with the leftovers...

I still live with my parents (unfortunately), and I just went down to dinner to find that my mom had taken all of the liquid out of the pot and strained off all of the fat and grease and thrown it away.

So much for that high-fat cut of meat...
  #109   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 05:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I get unsalted nuts so I don't go crazy on them.

Yeah, one of my fave treats is raw unsalted almonds. They are tasty enough that I enjoy them and feel like I've having a treat - but not so overwhelmingly addictive (like salted smokehouse almonds, for example) that I feel compelled to eat a ton of them!

Plus, in my of my books - I think it was either 'Nourishing Traditions' or 'The Good Fat Cookbook' - it said that commercial oil-roasted nuts were almost undoubtedly roasted in the rancid, toxic polyunsaturated oils that we should all avoid. So I feel like getting the unroasted nuts is better for me too.

But macadamia nuts? Gee, I *love* them in any form - salted, unsalted ... still can't get enough of them, which is why I only buy a *tiny* jar if I buy any!
  #110   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 06:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by art_kid
I still live with my parents (unfortunately), and I just went down to dinner to find that my mom had taken all of the liquid out of the pot and strained off all of the fat and grease and thrown it away.

That's a shame. I've made a roast a couple times in the crockpot, cooked in red wine. After slow-cooking for 10-12 hours I had a bunch of wonderful liquid in the pot. I have some great recipes that call for beef stock - soup, but other things as well. So I doled it out into 1-cup portions and froze them.

The moussaka I made on Sunday calls for 1 cup of beef stock for example, and I had some handy

Are your parents on low carb, or at least accepting of your being on it? I mean do they try to help support your eating? Now that you've had this experience you could talk to your mom and tell her you want to save the liquid for stock. Or if you fear she might be the forgetful sort you could just stick a Post-It on the lid of the crockpot next time saying "DON'T THROW OUT THE LIQUID"
  #111   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 09:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Plus, in my of my books - I think it was either 'Nourishing Traditions' or 'The Good Fat Cookbook' - it said that commercial oil-roasted nuts were almost undoubtedly roasted in the rancid, toxic polyunsaturated oils that we should all avoid. So I feel like getting the unroasted nuts is better for me too.

I get dry roasted nuts at Trader Joe's. They just bake them in ovens, they don't coat them in any oil.
  #112   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 09:41
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ok I'm enjoying my breakfasts a lot! I have a 1-1.5 oz of Mousse de foie de poulet et gras de porc au porto (pate, from Trader Joe's). And 1/3 oz of gluten free rice crackers, also from Trader Joe's. 1 oz of cheese.

If anyone is concerned about what to take to work for a breakfast in the morning, something like this would be really easy. Just throw it in a container and go.

Only problem is the hover cat. He also thinks 2 of those 3 items are quite splendid and I get long sad stares while I eat.
  #113   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 10:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I get dry roasted nuts at Trader Joe's. They just bake them in ovens, they don't coat them in any oil.

Yeah. Nuts are always on my "must buy" list if I go to Trader Joe's - also sardines packed in olive oil (which I can buy anywhere, by TJ's is usually MUCH cheaper) and smoked oysters packed in olive oil (which I have *only* ever seen at TJ's - every other store I've ever been in only carried smoked oysters in cottonseed oil).
  #114   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 11:27

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

You know, I used to eat a ton of nonstarchy veggies and since starting the OD they just don't seem as appetizing anymore. I've gone from multiple servings of veggies/fruits at every meal to maybe one serving of veggies a day and no fruit. I've been having some potato though, which doesn't really seem like a veggie.

Weird.

The sad part is I had just bought a lot of produce before starting and now it's all going bad in the fridge.
  #115   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 11:50

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

You need some chickens!
  #116   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 12:28
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Speaking of potatoes, is anyone eating <gasp> french fries?
  #117   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 12:36

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

I was sometime having some plain potato chips before my current experiment.

Patrick
  #118   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 12:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
You need some chickens!

Tell me about it!
  #119   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 12:42
Registered Member

Plan: atkins '72
Stats: 180/166.8/120 Female 5'3"
BF:?
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty
Speaking of potatoes, is anyone eating <gasp> french fries?

I plan to make myself some scalloped potatoes next week if all goes well. Butter, cream, potatoes, seasonings. Not saying I will tuck in massively though.
  #120   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 12:49

BF:

I have been eating potatoes but not heaps of them. I've been buying red potatoes that are about 5 oz each and eating half of one at a time (hubby gets the other half and he's pretty happy about it, haha).

I did actually just buy some frozen french fries that are rosemary, olive oil, and sea salt. They're not for everyday, but I wanted something to have in the freezer for when I don't really feel like cooking.