Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#16   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 20:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ok, I thought you were saying the protein was in the crusty part.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 05:15

Plan: Lacto-Paleo
Stats: 322/168/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Lisa, thanks so much for your help with this!

Incidentally, I was losing well until i started strength training. Then I stalled. I want to stick with my WOE but nudge myself out of this stall (I'm not gaining at all, just not losing!)

I'm Lacto-Paleo so I'm trying to work out how to use your suggestions with my plan.

I can't eat coconut oil - it messes w/ my gut - and I already cook everything in bacon grease or butter. I will definately start tossing my egg whites!

I also don't eat any Nighshades, grains (so the bread is out), sugar, or fruit.

I could try upping my carbs (I'll admit this scares me! I was happy with well under 10g/day until the stall). Eat more leafy greens, maybe? I cook my greens with loads of pork fat.

My daily breakfast is 2 hog jowls (basically thick slabs of pork fat) and 2 eggs. If I nix the eggwhites, would this be an OK breakfast?
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 07:20

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Very interesting thread you've started here. I shall be following your progress closely, ladies!

I think what I do is pretty similar: 50-70g of carbs, as much fat as I can get into a meal and my carbs are made of veggies, berries, a couple of slices of bread and a bit of sugar and dark chocolate. I managed to lose 2.2kg a week earlier in the year over the course of three weeks, went a bit off plan, maintained more or less and am now back on plan.

I have lost 1.1lbs in the past week, would this be about the amount a lady my age could expect?

I am 5'5", weigh 138.2lbs, and am 45yo. In metric that is 1m65, 62.8kg and the age stays the same (pity that number doesn't get smaller in the metric system, too!!!).

amanda
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 08:32

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
...I shall be following your progress closely, ladies!...

Hey ! I too will be posting here you know...

Patrick
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 08:32
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:

My daily breakfast is 2 hog jowls (basically thick slabs of pork fat) and 2 eggs. If I nix the eggwhites, would this be an OK breakfast?

It sounds like you really need to track your protein/carb grams and not exceed some number of protein grams. That'll be challenging for those of us who like meat.

A program like fitday or (I think you can do some limited tracking on Nutritiondata.com) is going to be necessary. There's always MyPlan here too.

I just thought my lemon curd like custard will be great on this diet, I'll just use the yolks instead of the whole egg and start putting butter in it.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 09:04

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

...I just thought my lemon curd like custard will be great on this diet, I'll just use the yolks instead of the whole egg and start putting butter in it.

When you have the new recipe totally figured out, the amounts and such, could you please post it, and provide me with a link?
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 09:11
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I just thought my lemon curd like custard will be great on this diet, I'll just use the yolks instead of the whole egg and start putting butter in it.

OMG, that sounds fabulous. I know you've posted your recipe for this in the recipe section, but I (and everyone else, I'm sure) would love it if you'd post your Dr. K version here. I love lemon anything! If the program you use doesn't provide the nutrients in the recipe, I'll be happy to plug it into HealthFit Counter and post them. The program gives me everything: Calories, Fat, SF, Sodium, Cholesterol, Sugars, Fiber & Protein - though maybe the program you use does that already. In any event, I hope you make that lemon curd soon!

Lisa
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 09:12
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
When you have the new recipe totally figured out, the amounts and such, could you please post it, and provide me with a link?

LOL - Great minds . . .

Lisa
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 09:41
Experimenter

BF:

Recipe? Har, har! I don't need no stinking recipes. Seriously that's something I have a hard time with. But here's how I will do this (I put modifications in parenthesis)

5 whole eggs (I'll probably try this with 8 yolks instead)
1/3 cup of lemon juice (you can lower this and add vanilla and it makes a softer, nice lemon vanilla custard)
1/2 tsp vanilla (if you lower the lemon juice to 1/4 cup or less)
1/3 cup of splenda, or equivalent sweetener -- I use Sweetzfree. (taste the raw egg mixture to make sure that's enough, add more if you think it needs it).
1 stick of butter, chopped into pieces (don't add until the end)

Whisk or beat wet ingredients until well combined.

Cook this over a double-boiler stirring constantly until it reaches about 160 degrees or starts to get fairly thick, like a slightly loose pudding. Do not cook it too fast otherwise it'll curdle. Let this part take about 5 minutes or longer.

When it reaches 160 take it off the double boiler and add in the butter, whisk it in until the butter is melted and well integrated.

When I have a fresh batch of this I like to put it on frozen raspberries. But after I refrigerate it I'll warm the raspberries and put the custard on top. It's an amazing treat.

The double-boiler/whisking etc might seem complicated at first but after you've done it a time or two its very easy.

Hmmm... how many servings? Well, lets say 6 servings. I usually eat it in dessert like portions.

Note: I think I might add some cream to this too. I'm not sure the volume of 8 egg yolks will match 5 whole eggs. Maybe 1/4 cup of cream should do it.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Apr-10-09 at 14:11.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 09:54

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Thank you, it sounds just scrumptious!
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 10:00
Experimenter

BF:

Ok, I stuck the recipe in NutritionData.com: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/recipe/979480/2

Fat: 21g
Prot: 4g
Carbs: 2g (using liquid splenda -- add about 1 more if you use powdered)
Cal: 210
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 10:11
Experimenter

BF:

Oh, I'll share my method of making creme fraiche:

Making creme fraiche is really easy if you want to save some money. Just put 1-2 Tbl of sour cream or cultured buttermilk into a jar with cream. Mix well and let it sit (covered) until the cream becomes very thick. 1-3 days usually.

Lisa got me interested in making marscapone, that looks easy too. I just googled on it. Apparently you can substitute lemon juice for the tartaric acid.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 10:30
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
I hope everyone who has diligently done LC and lost weight, only to come to a screeching halt will come here and read this thread.

Well I'm trying, but I'm lost! I feel like I've walked in on the middle of something here. The first post reads lie a continuation of something. Did I miss a part-one thread? Help and thanks!
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 10:49
Experimenter

BF:

Hah! Sorry MizKitty. This is the Optimal Diet plan, which is one that limits protein AND carbs pretty strictly. I think the key is to have a hard, gram limit on protein, not a % limit as most people think. Why? I haven't read the book but I know that some people believe excess protein can contribute to insulin resistance. And we do know that protein is insulingenic, the only thing that isn't is fat.

So the Website for The Optimal Diet isn't the greatest, most of the food examples are nothing we have here in the states (since the doctor is polish). The book is about the same. But Lisa (awriter) has software to tell you what your macro-nutrients should be. So we're going by that.

I haven't started yet. Hope to begin tomorrow. Have a lot of protein food I need to get rid of today. Maybe the cat will get lucky with this leftover chicken.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 10:59
Experimenter

BF:

Shopping list (Please suggest anything else you might think of!)

Cream
Cream cheese
Brie
Cheese for salads
Peanut butter
Sour cream
Eggs
Butter
Greek Yogurt
Veggies
Olives
Macadamia nuts
Bacon
Olive Oil

Favorable Nut Options (fat/prot ratios) (Just a quick look, it could be wrong)

Macadamia > Pine nuts > Hickory nuts > Pistachio > Cashews, Walnuts, Filberts (Hazelnuts) > Peanuts

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Apr-10-09 at 13:26.
Closed Thread