Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-07, 16:43
Princess Sara

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 210/165.6/150 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:---
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolagina
Sara,
Thanks so much for your real honesty! I am considering that I will need some surgery post goal. Like you, I would like to have maintained my weight for a year before embarking any surgery but since so much of my weight is in my abdominal area, I expect that I will need a tummy tuck and some lipo in my hips.

YOU ARE A ROLE Model and I look forward to improvements in the "Fun" department as I get closer to goal... I totally get what you're saying about not feeling sexy when you're heavy.

Talk with your surgeon about this. Depending on the amount of skin you have, he may recommend a belt instead of doing the lipo with a tummy tuck. My surgeon said that weight reduction patients do better with the belt than the lipo alternative. I went in expecting a full tummy tuck, but was open to his opinion and experience. What I thought was just "muffin" fat, was actually loose skin. Now, I even have an actual waist! I am glad I went this route.
Sara<><
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-07, 17:18
Princess Sara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle
Well done, and congrats. I had the same operation a year ago (as well as 5 other operations to remove excess skin). unfortunately I had complications, but nearly a year on I am finally getting back to normal.
Congratulations again.

I am so sorry that you have had a hard time. I'm glad to know that you are feeling better now. You are helping me remember to caution people that my results are not necessarily typical--especially for someone with higher risks. I would feel terrible if someone went just off of my word and had complications.

Let me continue to give the REAL and full story. I did not go into this surgery without a lot of thought. As I mentioned, I've had type 1 diabetes for 26 years--so I know that makes me high risk. I have entered into a difficult time for type 1 diabetic women--menopause. My "female" hormones are all off of a predictable schedule and this makes my diabetes control CHAOTIC!! Arrghhh!#$#~ I think that is why I am so exuberant that I'm doing well. I have not written in this particular thread (I wrote about it in a thread I started right before I had the surgery), but I have been working very hard to prepare my body for the surgery. I am an insulin pump wearer. This year I began using a continuing glucose monitoring system. That means that I insert a sensor--a canula with a computer chip--under my skin. I attach a wireless transmitter to this which sends a constant message to my insulin pump. It does not measure BLOOD glucose, it measures body fluid. I have to check my BG often and update the calibrations, but this helps me spot when my BG levels are out of the normal range. It isn't fool-proof, and it is aggravating, but I feel that it helps me with my diabetes control. The most frustrating part is that the sensors are not covered by insurance and must be changed every 3 days---at $35.00 a piece!!!!

I have always used my belly as the area for inserting my insulin pump infusion sets and my new sensor system. Unfortunately, I cannot do that now. I am having trouble using my thighs...there is a lot more bleeding and bruising. I do think that ultimately, my control will be improved when I can get back to using my belly. The loose skin and years of atrophy from injections that were problematic are gone.

I understand that true healing from this type of surgery is a lengthy process.....I am having to remind myself of this now. Cabin fever is setting in. I feel good and it isn't automatic to take it easy. I think posting on this forum will help. I REALLY WANT TO THANK Y'ALL FOR RESPONDING TO MY POSTS. YOU ARE HELPING ME SO MUCH!!
Sara<><
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-07, 19:56
Always Shining

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 363.3/332.6/145 Female 5'7"
BF:'fraid so...
Progress: 14%

Princess Sara,

I haven't posted on the other forum in ages, but read your story there and then here. Thank you so much for posting it. Loose skin is probably my biggest fear about losing weight.....I know that sounds silly, and I know that my fears would be much better placed around the dangers of remaining obese, but my fears are what they are.

Reading about your experience, especially about how happy you are with the results is calming. Your posts have always been thoughtful, open and honest. They've frequently inspired me and often made me laugh.....I know you've said you'd rather be a reader than a (professional) writer, but you do have a gift for "puttin' it out there" Thank you for sharing!

I hope your healing continues to be ahead of schedule and as pain free as possible!

Hugs!
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 04:05
Princess Sara

Well, bless your heart Barbara!!!! You do know me---my flaws included, I'm sure!!! If you have been reading my story during this year of maintenance, you know that I have had my turn at facing fears. I think you are wise to face and acknowledge yours. I'll bet this keeps you from stalling your own progress.

It took me quite a while to decide that I would be open about my surgery, but I have sure learned some things since I opened up. Primarily I am now realizing how many of my women friends are thinking of having tummy tucks. The women I know in my 3D life want it because of the body changes brought on by child birth. The two friends that are the most interested are both blond hotties who have never had weight problems. They are quite a bit younger and both had 3 children each. They have talked to me about varying levels of elasticity and how they feel about the changes in their bodies.

During the process of becoming thin, I have to admit that I had to let go of some prejudices against these friends. I am horrified that I ever felt so critical of other women, but I did. (Incidentally, one of these women is the one I spoke of about the tight clothing in my 'Have You Noticed...' initial essay.) The disdain I felt toward the "naturally" thin women of the world could of course be easily dismissed as jealousy, but really it was a type of fear. I was afraid that I would never be able to achieve what my young friends have. It took me the better part of this past year to finally stop judging myself harshly for my deep desire to be thin...it was much harder than getting over my prejudice against my hottie women friends!!

Anyway, I'm grateful for the interchanges I've had since "coming out" about the surgery, which I honestly think of as reconstructive. Ultimately, it seems to come down to the degree with what we as individuals feel comfortable doing to achieve the body that suits us. Developing empathy for others is easier than facing the fears and desires for myself. There is a progression though.

Maybe my story can help in this way.
Thanks for the support and back at cha,
Sara<><
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 06:13
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hey Sara-
love seeing you here again- it's been too long. You are doing great- congrats on keeping the weight off, the continued sobriety, and the surgery- all wonderful.
Please come on over to the maintainence area- we have 2 other women who had the surgery in the past year- one posted a great photo link- and we would love to have you. As you know, this LC thing is a WOL. Not losing weight but keeping what you lost off brings its own set of challenges and it's nice to have company along the way!
My 4 year planaversary (?) is in a few weeks- I can't believe it- and I'm still going strong too.
I have a small hanging pouchy belly, but my DH is totally opposed to surgery. I am very happy with how my body feels and looks, so I'll keep it. I know that this was really an important procedure for you and I am so glad you were able to give this to yourself. you go, Princess!
E
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 06:53

Plan: low carb, portion control
Stats: 222/155/140 Female 5'6"
BF:100%//33
Progress: 82%
Default Best wishes

You have a lot of guts and courage to do what you did, you're a SURVIVIOR!! Thanks for sharing so eloquently and honestly and in such an entertaiining fashion, best wishes as you continue to heal and get stronger.

I'm about halfway where I should be, and know there will be lots of hanging flesh when I get to goal, but I don't think surgery will be an option for me. My dream is to get some Victoria's Secret naughty nothings, but not if they're gonna get caught up in flesh folds!!!

Thanks for the laughs!!
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 07:08
Princess Sara

Thanks for the well wishes!!!!

Okay, I can give you some underwear tips! For lower body, Spanx are your friends!!!! Perhaps your best friends. If you want a really smooth look for some dresses, the Spanx that go all the way up to the bra are worth the money.

For upper body, fit your bra properly. Okay, this can be confusing and even a bit embarrassing. Get over it! My favorite bra is the Victoria's Secret very sexy push-up bra. (Life is soooo ironic! I had breast reduction then lost 75 pounds. My Girls are small now! I am happy with them. The shape is great and I can use push up technology to make them whatever size I want!!) I get a cup BIGGER than I need for my actual breasts---this means the cup goes around under my arms and can hold some of that loose skin! I'm not kidding. Now, I still have some loose skin around my bra straps in back. Big deal! With enough gorgeous cleavage in the front, who notices my back? Besides, now after the belt, my man reports that my behind is quite the eye catcher.
Sara<><
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 12:45

Stats: 242/172/140 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hi Sara...I have quite a few pounds to go, so I'm not ready yet for surgery....But soon!! Right now my ' wings ' bother me worse that anything. I am also in LA...would you be willing to PM me with your Doctor's name? If not, I totally understand. I wish my kids would have had a teacher such as yourself when they were in elementary school. A sense of humor is a wonderful thing!! I love your posts..just got through reading the entire 32 pages of , oops brain freeze, can't remember the title of the thread.

Lisa
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 20:49
Princess Sara

Lisa, I tried to PM you, but it said either you could not receive one or had requested not to get one. Sorry.
Sara<><
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 04:20
Princess Sara

Today makes three weeks since my surgery. Here is the good and bad. I feel great, but I get tired. I'm not sleepy anymore. Gettin' restless!!! I want to start back my walking program!!!! Somethin' fierce!!!! BUT, I get tired. Did I already say that? Well, I do---dammit.

Saturday I was all excited about getting out to go to Wal-mart. Holy Crap!!! I HATE WAL-MART!!! So, my wonderful man and I did the Granny stroll----you know, you've been stuck behind these people! It is a busy weekend and the family has taken Granny out to Wal-mart. I just poked along and caused the people behind me to grind their teeth. By the time I got to the check-out, I was tired.

Sunday, I went to church. It was wonderful to get out!!! I loved the service. By the time I left I looked like I was deep in prayer---continuously bowed.

Yesterday----Ugh! PMS has struck. Not good. PMS and restlessness! UGH! I am a massive reader and yesterday I couldn't even settle down enough to read. Today, I plan to GET A GRIP!!!!

Time to get in touch with my gratitude. Ya know, I am grateful. FOR A LOT!!! Today that will be my focus.

I am also thinking and praying for a dear friend who has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer. The prognosis looks good. She is having a procedure (what a stupid word!!!) this morning to have some lymph nodes biopsied.

AND....I'll be checkin' in on this forum and thankin' y'all for giving me an outlet.
Sara<><
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 05:42
Always Shining

Stats: 363.3/332.6/145 Female 5'7"
BF:'fraid so...
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Sara
Today, I plan to GET A GRIP!!!!

Time to get in touch with my gratitude. Ya know, I am grateful. FOR A LOT!!! Today that will be my focus.
Here's wishing you a GRIP and some GRATITUDE for today!!!

Congrats on the three weeks - you are coming along beautifully! Your story of the "granny" trip to Wal Mart made me laugh out loud, and that's a great thing! Your posts are such a gift.

Big hugs to you!
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 07:40

BF:

Thanks for trying Sara. I can't PM you because I don't have enough posts. Maybe it works the same in reverse.....My email is lray~galaxycable.com.

Lisa
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 13:58

Stats: 225/140/140 Female 5' 4.5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

AWESOME Sara! Congrats on your surgery, and your wonderful recovery. I had abdominoplasty last August... considered belt lipectomy, but wasn't prepared to go that route, and my biggest concern was my tummy so I was "OK" not having the repair work done on the other areas I also had breast reduction in 2002. Unfortunately, my reduced breasts did not fare as well as yours did through my weight loss journey... They shrank to nothing! This, coupled with some scarring and shape issues I had resulting from the initial surgery left me feeling very unhappy with that particular area of my body. I elected to have implants put in as a reconstructive measure. So, after all that effort, they are big again.... but not nearly as big as they used to be, and I feel SO much better about how they look!

I used to be very against cosmetic surgery, and I still don't feel it is 100% right for everyone, but I know it was the right choice for me, and it has obviously been a great choice for you too. I am so happy with myself, and in such a better place emotionally since having this done. I love to hear other success stories, and love having the opportunity to share with others. I always thought I would be secretive about the process, but I find I want to shout it from the rooftops as it has just done so much for me!

Congrats again! I hope things continue to go very well for you!

Robin

(P.S. I am a little jealous of the price you quoted..... You are right, things are WAY less expensive where you are )
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 04:11
Princess Sara

Lisa, I'll email you. Did you read the post after yours? There are advantages to living in Alabama. Good to know isn't it? The land with no verb/subject agreement, bubbas, and TRUCKS. I'm just kidding! I love the south and really do love the small, rural community in which I live.

Robin, congrats are coming back to you! We do seem to have similar experiences, don't we?

I have never been "against" plastic surgery. I guess that is because I was never happy with my body. I could empathize with the frustrations that others felt. I was one of those fat women who could never come to peace with it. It didn't fit with the way I felt on the inside. I had a DEEP desire to be thin. I just created conflict by judging my desire---I told myself that my purpose on the planet was to serve others. It was selfish and shallow to spend so much time and effort on myself. Taking the step for the surgery actually helped me face this in-congruence within me. I was creating my own conflict and it really wasn't necessary. I am learning to accept this desire without judgement.

Now I am beginning a new adventure. I am a thin woman. I watched a program on television last night about a transsexual having surgery to change from being a man to being a woman. After the hormone treatments and the surgery, she said, "The transformation is complete." That sentence struck a heart chord. I get that....and can relate to the sentiment. I am not, of course, saying what I have felt is anywhere near the pain transsexuals feel. But I keep coming back to that sentence.

"The transformation is complete." Changing from being a person with a life-long weight problem may not ever be "complete." I will always have to focus at staying with my WOE/WOL. My experience has helped me understand that sometimes this is more difficult than others. But, for today I FEEL thin. That is a huge deal!!! For me it is essential to feel thin in order to be thin. I can't quite find the words to express just how much getting rid of the loose skin is altering the way I feel physically and emotionally.

Today I will spend some time thinking about how this will affect my maintenance program. How do I want to live the next leg of the journey of my life? I suspect it will involve learning to let go of inner conflict. It isn't needed anymore...."my transformation is complete."

Somewhere inside I know that I set aside this summer of "healing" for more than just physical recovery from the surgery. It is about the inner adjustments I need to make, as well. Changing from being a fat person to being a fully functioning thin person is turning out to be a giant lesson in my life. Maybe it isn't so tricky for others. The good Lord knows that I have chosen to walk a very bumpy path in my 48 years. I don't regret any of it. Transforming is NOT about forgetting or regretting. It is about taking what I have learned along the way with me...and learning to live happy, joyous, and free.
Sara<><
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 07:26

BF:

Thanks Sara...I think maybe Alabama is a country of its own. Ya think?? lol

Lisa