Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-10, 06:18
Princess Sara

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 210/165.6/150 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:---
Progress: 74%

Hey Friend,
I am writing this from GA. Both of my parents are in bad health and I will be here for most of the summer. It is tough being in the sandwich generation.

My weight is up a little extra this year. I injured my back moving furniture....I had back surgery a year ago. The meds to help my back had me gaining a pound a day, but at least it worked.

I am wearing sizes 10 and 12. I am back on low carb....as much as my blood sugar can handle. I am not overstressed about that. Life balances priorities. I am grateful to be able to spend time with my parents--even if they are challlenging. I am grateful to have had type 1 diabetes for 29 years without real complications. I am grateful for my wonderful man and all of my family. My precious Lily is 21 months is a wonderful reminder from God to live and appreciate the present moment.

I have a lot of scars....the scars from my breast reduction, my c-section, the lipectomy, and the back surgery. None of them bother me!! They represent my life on this earth. I am very happy about the lipectomy--even as I have had some weight gain I still have a flat stomach. I have a little muffin top, but nothiing like before.

Hope this info helps and thanks for checking in with me.
Sara<><
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-10, 16:47

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 65
BF:
Progress: -50%

Sounds like you are finding a great balance in all things.
HAPPINESS is most important, and it sure sounds like you are.
Sorry to hear about your parents...hoping their health improves.
I'm sure they are glad to have your presence with them.

I've thought of you from time to time and just wanted to check in.
Thank you so much for writing back.
  #213   ^
Old Sun, Jun-13-10, 10:29

Plan: CAD
Stats: 167/150/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

What an interesting thread!

I read a whole bunch then realized it was from 07!!

I love your attitude Sara!!
  #214   ^
Old Sun, Jun-13-10, 19:39
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

HI SARA!!!!!
Glad to hear you are doing well- sorry about your parent's situation. Your attititude brightens anyone's day- including mine!
Please write some in your journal so we can hear all about your life. We remember you and we care-
E
  #215   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-10, 05:07
Princess Sara

Well bless your hearts!!! You have made my day....and it just started.

I am feeling better this morning. Before I left Alabama I went to Walmart and bought some size 12 shorts. The meds I was taking for my back puffed me up something fierce and there is no way I will wear tight clothes in the summer in the south! Especially not in my Dad's house. Due to his circulation he keeps the air conditioner on 80. I am happy to say that the shorts were making me look like a gangsta. I couldn't keep them up and had to go buy some 10's. Nothing like a little sweat therapy to get the water out.

I am sticking Daddy for blood sugar checks avery time he turns around, but we are getting his type 2 under control. Now Mama is a completely different story. She is very put out with me that I cannot hear the voices in her head. My sweet mama went into psychotic dememtia at the beginning of the year complete with catatonic periods and severe paranoia. At one point we could not get her to eat, drink, or take meds since she believed she was "toxic." We almost lost her to kidney failure. She is in a nursing home a block away from my Dad's house and ticked off about it. This is that long good-bye period for us. She is no longer my mother, if you know what I mean.

One thing I can say about all of this is that I have become very close to my oldest sister. Life cycles, don't cha know.

Just for the record, I am still one fine hot grandma!! I look good, I just creak a little more. I am low carbing now. I feel better----isn't it amazing how much low carb relieves the aches and pains in the joints?

Fill me in on what everyone is doing? How is the weight loss and more importantly that dang weight maintenance going? What are y'all eating? I brought a big old batch of chicken salad and dark green salad items with from Alabama.

Also, please continue to pray about the situation in the gulf. I am a L.A. girl---Lower Alabama. I am 90 miles north of the the beautiful Emerald Coast.
  #216   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-10, 08:37

BF:

Wow...so sorry to hear about the situation with your parents. That is challenging....

My grandmother dealt with dementia before her passing, and it was a very long road, indeed. She lived with my mother for seven years and it was extremely difficult. I wonder if she would have been better off in assisted living or nursing care. She was not herself and it caused my mother too much grief to watch the behavior on a daily basis. Grandma became mean and paranoid...VERY mean. Sometimes, the best choice is to allow those who are better equipped (and less emotionally invested) to deal with the situation. A hard thing to do...no matter how you look at it. I will definitely be thinking and praying for your family and that entire situation.

Gangsta shorts = Awesome!
Good for you!!!

I'm in Northern Alabama, but definitely upset about our coast. It's such a sad thing....
  #217   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-10, 08:53
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

OH Sara it's so good to see you back here! We can all learn from your fabulous attitude! Love ya!

Denise
  #218   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-10, 13:22
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi Sara-
glad you are able to be there and help your dad- and that you and your sister are getting closer.

I am trying to get my mind around you in gansta shorts- with sequins and beading???

All is well here. I am still doing my LC program, still maintaining. In a month it will be 7 years!!!

sending happy thoughts your way-
E
  #219   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-10, 05:49
Princess Sara

Oh ladies, it is hot, hot, hot here! Gotta love that clinical strength Secret deoderant. No one likes a stinky princess!!!

I have gotten Daddy's blood sugar regulated. He is beginning to understand the impact carbs have on his blood sugar. He has always talked about carbs but they just never seemed to apply to things like handfuls of crackers . He is getting it now. I have taken to portioning his stuff in little bags. That helps. I do so empathize though! Eliminating carbs is sometimes easier than limiting the portions isn't it?

What plans are y'all on. Eno, it has been 5 years since I reached my goal. I did not maintain my size 4. I took breaks from the super low carbs at times. Even now I do enjoy my veggies. Have you eaten pretty much the same plan the whole time?

I bought the newest Atkins book, but haven't read it from cover to cover yet. Anyway got an opinion? Any other maintenance ideas?
Sara<><
  #220   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-10, 08:48
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi Sara!
I've used random carb cycling with success. Range 30 - 40's and carb up to around 60-70 once a week ( no sugar, generally no wheat or fruit except berries).
denise

Last edited by lcgrrl2006 : Tue, Jun-15-10 at 14:51.
  #221   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-10, 09:55

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I have not ben around here in a few years.
I also put my snacks into little bags all weighed and measured. I am now after so many years back onto a diabetic diet. I had a hard time to start with, since 2 ounces of protein for my bigger meal is an eye opener but me and my food scale are doing fine.

I am trying to stay away from medications, I did this type 2 diet before and lost 60 odd pounds in five months but I also was on the treadmill every day.
Now I just have to start walking again since diet and exercise is the only way for me to keep my blood sugar in line.

I know what you mean about your mom, mine lost her faculties at 86 and she died at 101. When she lost her mind, is when I lost my mother, her body’s death was a blessing. She used to be so vivacious and clever and funny.
  #222   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-10, 11:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelope
I know what you mean about your mom, mine lost her faculties at 86 and she died at 101. When she lost her mind, is when I lost my mother, her body’s death was a blessing. She used to be so vivacious and clever and funny.
Wow...what a challenge that must have been!! I tip my hat to you for going through that.
  #223   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-10, 05:37
Princess Sara

Great comments. Fruit is my downfall. I remember after 3 years of strict, strict, strict low carbing deciding that I was going to eat some fruit. I almost cried in Wal-mart just buying some apples. Good grief.

I am doing pretty well here. Yesterday Mama had a bad episode. I had taken her to listen to music at a church service in her nursing home. I was struggling along trying to sing. I was having a hard time with the hymns....at first I thought it was because the hymns were out of a Baptist hymnal. I am Episcopalian and was raised Presbyterian. Finally when we hit Amazing Grace I realized the song leader was making a joyful noise 'cause I wouldn't have recognized the song from his version. Nice young fella but I'm not sure they would have recognized that song in heaven, but he was enthusiastic.

Anyway, during all of this I could tell Mama was listening to the voices in her head. She became very agitated....shaking, chewing her fingernails. After the program she told me that she had just heard something terrible that Daddy was doing. Now mind you she has been convinced that my 83 year old father has been having multiple affairs. He explained to her that this is physically impossible. (He belongs to a coffee club called The Dead Peckers Club). I really didn't want to get her talking about what he had supposedly done. She told me she was about to "blow up." I said, "Yikes! Let's get you to your room 'cause it would not be good to 'blow up' here in the solarium." When I left I told that she had gotten herself in a tizzy and that she was just gonna have to get a grip. Tough stuff.

I gotta tell ya, these old folks are about to run me ragged.
Later,
Sara<><
  #224   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-10, 04:42
Princess Sara

I'm back in AL. I was able to leave Daddy using his new glucose meter successfully and with a better understanding on how to treat his diabetes. I've talked with him every day since then. He seems less depressed, and he is feeling empowered.

I had a great weekend. I realized that yesterday was the first time I've been to let myself feel happy since all of this nightmare began in January. That doesn't mean that my heart isn't broken for Mama, but I am moving into a better place---detachment I guess. I, too am beginning to feel some empowerment.

I was rereading Seventh Heaven by Alice Hoffman. It is set in the year of 1959....the year I was born. The character development in that book is top notch. I am thinking this morning of the description from the overweight young mother. She had lost herself in her role of mother/wife until a washer repairman treated her with kindness. The small gesture reached in an helped her get in touch with her inner self. She began a diet--for herself....she told no one. After a short time she stopped weighing herself and stayed on the plan just for the sake of sticking to her regimen. One day her pants fell to her ankles in the meat dept. of the A&P. She began to imagine beautiful clothes. I won't go into her full storyline, but later she described that in her fat body she felt "dead inside." That really resonated with me. I remember that feeling from many years ago. No one would have suspected that I too was dead inside. I appreciated the memory and the sense of wonder as I lost weight and began a wonderful journey.

I remind myself that I am still on that journey. I am getting back in touch with myself. I've felt myself getting lost in the layers of the caretaker role....daughter, sister, wife, mother, grandmother, teacher. I am feeling in touch with myself again.
  #225   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-10, 07:46
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi Sara-
I am so sorry about your Mom. It isn't her fault- you know that- but it must be so hard to see someone you love in such a state. It sounds like you really helped your dad, too.

Yes, I am still on my plan. Unpopular as it is, it is very very sustainable. It is just veggties and protein for 2 meals/day, and a 3rd meal of salad then a balance of protein/veggies/carbs. This is how I have to eat to keep my body healthy.
I haven't lost in over 5 years, but I'm hanging in there! I just never go off.
I've had to tweek it- thanks to people here on the maintenence threads I limit alcohol and sugar- the alcohol really affects me lots.

ANyway-
welcome home!
E