Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 17:51

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Question Back Pain/Kidney Pain & LC?

For about a week, I have been experiencing a pain in my back on left side, about midway up. This comes usually when I lie down (I sleep on either side), and by morning, sometimes, I feel pain (like a muscle soreness) around my ribcage on the left side. This is not an excrutiating or sharp pain. It actually feels more like a "soreness" or muscle pain. The pain sometimes goes down a little farther to my lower back, again on the left side.

I am concerned because of the location of the pain and the fact that it seems to dissipate as the day goes on, but comes back in when I lie down again.

I am drinking an average of 100 oz of water a day, my protein intake is an average of 120g a day. I take Atkins Basic #3, Omega Oils, and Calcium. I am urinating regularly (LOTS with all that water!) and there is no discoloration (except from the vitamins). I have not been constipated.

Has anyone else experienced these symptoms or have any ideas what this could be? I searched the web for ideas, but I found no reference to a condition with my symptoms. I never had any such symptoms prior to beginning Atkins about 6 weeks ago, and am wondering if it is related at all.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 19:09

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/196/160
BF:
Progress: 45%

See your Doc - before I started LC I got really sick and they found out I had a kidney infection. I had maybe 2 days of this minor niggling pain which I ignored and a few days later I was almost in hospital.

Moral of the story - dont mess around when it comes to your kidneys!!

I have no idea if it is related to Atkins, although critics of Atkins say that eating to much protein can cause damage to your kidneys. I personally try to limit my protein consumption for that reason.....
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 02:28
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hi!

I've had the similar experience just in 2 first weeks and I've heard lots of people saying the same thing. I went to my doc and he told me this was caused by rapid weight loss and toxins flushed out of my body. For instance, the uric acid is highly increased when a person loses weight. He told me to drink even more water - 3 liters/day - which I did. The pain lasted only 3 days and since then I'm fine. Your body is adjusting to this WOE and I hope you'll feel better soon, but in case you don't - see your doc!
Best of luck!
Alina
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 08:04
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

Just to reassure folks ... Atkins' diet, or any carb-restricted diet does NOT cause kidney damage. Ketones do NOT cause kidney damage. Eating protein does NOT cause kidney damage.

If a person already has pre-existing kidney damage from some other cause -- infection, uncontrolled diabetes, extreme blood loss due to an accident or trauma, or extreme dehydration -- then eating a higher protein level can increase STRESS on the damaged kidneys. In that case, a person would need to adjust their diet to keep protein at the level prescribed by their doctor and use natural, unprocessed fats to ensure sufficient caloric energy.

Drinking lots of water is always a good idea .. most national Kidney Foundations cite dehydration and inadequate water intake as the leading cause of kidney stones. Not protein.

hth,

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 10:16

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Thanks for your responses. I feel much better and this morning, I did not really have the pain as severly as yesterday. Perhaps I am finally adjusting. I will probably feel better just not worrying as much!

If it continues or worsens, I will certainly go to my doctor, but for now I will chock it up to my body adjusting. After all the cr*~ I fed my body for so many years I'm sure it would take some time to rid it of toxins.

Thanks again!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 15:43
Registered Member

Plan: Suzanne Summers/Atkins
Stats: 240/250/145
BF:
Progress: -11%

I have had the same pain for over a year. I bought a new bed. I added a down bed topper, I started low carbing. Nothing seemed to work. I went to my doctor and she found out that I have a fibroid tumor the size of a tennis ball on my left side.

Go see the doctor!