Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-13, 05:37

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair915
Gosh this thread is great! I just jumped back into the forum because I missed all the great folks, and because I really need more advanced information relative to intensive exercise training and proper dietary cycling (I have a 3 hour prize fight in Feb). I admit I drifted away because I was in maintenance and felt a bit irrelevant. I never noticed this part of the forum in the past and certainly would love to join the other "old farts" who are hanging tough and showing that commitment=success.
LOL! A very warm welcome from one of the 'old farts'!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-13, 07:35

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

I love coming over here and reading the wise words of the long time maintainers. There is no whining negativity here, just an acceptance that losing weight and keeping it off isn't easy and you just gotta suck it up and do what it takes if that's the result you want. It saddens, and to be honest frustrates me a bit, to read posts elsewhere from people who are obviously setting themselves up to fail. I guess that was a little rant because I feel better now.
  #78   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-13, 11:34
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
I love coming over here and reading the wise words of the long time maintainers. There is no whining negativity here, just an acceptance that losing weight and keeping it off isn't easy and you just gotta suck it up and do what it takes if that's the result you want. It saddens, and to be honest frustrates me a bit, to read posts elsewhere from people who are obviously setting themselves up to fail. I guess that was a little rant because I feel better now.

Yes, reading posts elsewhere can be very frustrating, knowing what we now know. No matter what I've tried to say to many of them, its offends many and goes on deaf ears.
So rant away! We get it!
  #79   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-13, 12:05
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan

Quote:
Yes, reading posts elsewhere can be very frustrating, knowing what we now know. No matter what I've tried to say to many of them, its offends many and goes on deaf ears. So rant away! We get it!

Rant away. It IS frustrating. It offends. It falls on deaf ears. We maintainers are being Debbie-downers. We're being mean. We're not supportive. It's so hard. You guys are special and don't know what it's like....blah, blah, blah....

We've gotten over the negativity and mostly the whining because the only way we're going to keep it off is to keep it REAL. Welcome to real life.

It makes me laugh and chuckle a bit those who were soooo resistive in listening and learning, who finally for what ever reason it clicked for them and now they are the ones offering the maintenance advice--in a way it makes me feel good that even though we were frustrated, we kept the message loud and clear and the individuals FINALLY "got it".

Hopefully some will catch on early in the game so they don't become repeat offenders.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #80   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-13, 12:52

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
It makes me laugh and chuckle a bit those who were soooo resistive in listening and learning, who finally for what ever reason it clicked for them and now they are the ones offering the maintenance advice--in a way it makes me feel good that even though we were frustrated, we kept the message loud and clear and the individuals FINALLY "got it".

I resemble that remark. Especially on the dairy point.

I agree, rant away. At this point in time I very rarely read the main boards because I feel the same way. I go through phases of offering advice and then just get worn out and have to take a break for awhile. I visit lots of journals, though, to give and get support and encouragement.
  #81   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-13, 16:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/149/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles

I agree, rant away. At this point in time I very rarely read the main boards because I feel the same way. I go through phases of offering advice and then just get worn out and have to take a break for awhile. I visit lots of journals, though, to give and get support and encouragement.

This is so me! I'll go try to offer help, then when I've had enough for a while I retreat to the journals section, and stick with the people I feel are actually working towards learning and not just complaining!
  #82   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-13, 17:12
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles

You are the poster child for that remark! You ought to be proud because you went the full circle and got it.

I agree about going thru the phases of offering advice and getting worn out. Right n ow I'm kind in the in-between stage. Offering a bit but not getting too involved.

When I'm not involved and away for a bit it doesn't mattter, I'm always lurking and reading daily journals and posts on the main board!

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #83   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-13, 17:30

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

This time of year I usually stick mainly to reading friend's journals and the kitchen forums. I'll still add a welcome in the introduce yourself forum if I see someone that hasn't had a welcome from anyone, but that's just about it.
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 11:46

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 156/118/120 Female 65 inches
BF:36%/22%/18%
Progress: 106%

I read a lot of posts, but comment only when I find it to be compelling. A great example is Whofan's "Chocolate Bunny Boiler" post. This is a great read if you want to see a case of the toxic side effects that can be associated with maintenance. We should strive to never follow a path that elevates ourselves in our own eyes by trying to make those around us feel smaller.

That us why I like this thread. Ranting is certainly appropriate at times, and helps us feel like there are others out there who are sharing this part of the journey. Others forget that maintenance is STILL a journey and it can be a very difficult one as we encounter many more unknown variables and begin to take risks.

My two cents on maintenance and general health is that exercise is necessary. It's difficult to start an exercise program but, once begun, it is even more difficult to stop exercising! Learn to love it and remember to play like when you were a child.
  #85   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 16:28

Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

I came to this thread when I first got here, and have it bookmarked along with the other maintenance threads. It was a huge boost to me when I needed a kickstart. Thank you all for being here.

Newbies? I read, watch, maybe add a sentence or two, watch more and then unsubscribe if I have to. I am not afraid to do that at all. I also find gems, like Vicki, who really want to learn how to do this.

Yep, still worth all the work.

Last edited by Aradasky : Tue, Jan-29-13 at 13:17.
  #86   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 22:50

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Question for Maintainers:

Is there anyone who got to goal without giving up dairy? Did that include butter? If you gave up any or all dairy, were you able to add it back in maintenance? Did you want to?
  #87   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 23:13
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53

Is there anyone who got to goal without giving up dairy? Did that include butter? If you gave up any or all dairy, were you able to add it back in maintenance? Did you want to?

I never gave up dairy but I did eat less things like cheese, cream cheese, switched from HWC to half/half. I never gave up butter--I still rely on butter snacks when needed.

Ahhhh...Kerry Gold.

Lisa
  #88   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 23:17

Plan: High protein/HIIT
Stats: 234/197/174 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Good question about the dairy, Liz. That's one thing I haven't given up.
  #89   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 23:20

Stats: 264/158/125 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53

I'm no longer in maintenance, but I did lose and maintain 145 pound loss for 3 years. For me, butter was never a problem. (olive oil was) I was able to have plain full-fat yogurt and butter-milk at goal. (I assume the cultures in it made a difference) I didn't miss cheese or cream by that point. If I did indulge occasionally, I was quickly reminded of why I didn't need to be eating it.
  #90   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 23:21

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

I'm another who didn't give up dairy. I used whipping cream in my coffee and butter on my veggies and anywhere else I wanted it, especially MIMs, and also for just occasional nibbling! I really want to get to Bellingham to get some Kerrygold butter from TJ's but that's very expensive from Victoria so it has to wait until we have to ferry across to the mainland for something other than just shopping!