Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-09-06, 16:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%
Default Chocolate Lovers Puding

Well, I am still playin with this, but I think I have it pretty close to be able to post it.

I have been making chocolate pudding for desert. Yes it is low carb, and yes it is wicked good!

Start with enough coconut milk. By enough I mean 1/2 cup per person. The stuff I use lists one serving as 1/3 cup and less than 2 g of carbs per serving. 1/3 cup is never enough! So doubled it, almost. I just count it as 3 grams of carb..and be sure to use thick/heavy coconut milk. You may not like the pudding if you use the stuff that is thined.

The cocoa is 3 carbs per serving, a serving is listed at 1 tablespoon. There is also 1 gram of fiber, so I count the carbs at 3+ for the cocoa. I use closer to 1 1/2 tablespoons...you can use more cocoa, but then that also means more sweetner...and this is rich enough as it is!

Here is the recepie...

1/2 cup of coconut milk (per person/serving)
1 rather generous tablespoon unsweetened cocoa (I have been using Hersheys)
DaVinchi SFVanilla syrup to taste. I use about 2 teaspoons per serving (I think)

Start with chiled heavy coconut milk. Add in cocoa and stir till well blended. Add sweetner to taste and chill again till very cold.

That's it! And is it ever good!

Some tweaks I have played with.....
A shot of heavy cream and a teaspoon of chocolate protein powder...
or
A teaspoon of Strawberry protein powder...
or
DaVinci Hazelnut SF syrup for the sweetner.

Using the protein powder without the cream makes a thicker pudding. I am sure different flavored SF syrups will yeild exciting results...can you say Raspberry?

So there it is. And yes 1/2 cup of coconut milk is a enough for one serving. So play with it, see what you can come up with and let me know how ya like it!

Oh, and no eating this stuff with every meal...

Last edited by ProfGumby : Tue, May-09-06 at 21:22.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-09-06, 16:44

Plan: Low carb/PP
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Sounds yummy! Thanks
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-20-06, 10:16

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I was wondering what brand of coconut milk you are using for this recipe. The kind I get isn't very thick....
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-20-06, 17:44

I have been using "A taste Of Thai" unsweetened coconut milk. My local Supermarket has it in with the oriental foods.

It says it is from the first pressing. I have to let you know, that unless it is chilled it is not very thick. There will be some in the can that is very thinck, and some that is watery. The trick is to stir it up really good before you refigerate it.

www.tasteofthai.com
http://www.tasteofthai.com/nutritio...cfm?ItemNo=8012

I have considered adding xanthan gum or maybe even unflavored gelatin to really firm it up, but as it is, as long as it is real cold, it is just fine.

On a related note, I also took and added unsweetened shredded coconut to about 1/2 cup of coconut milk and added in some cinnamon and some DaVinci SF Vanilla syrup. Stirred it all up and let it set in the fridge. Made a really awesome coconut creme type desert.

I have also been adding anilla or chocolate whey protein powder to these two deserts and having them after a workout. That is if I do my workout after dinner. Kind of like a protein last dessert......I am gonna experiment further and use strawberry protein powder and a mashed strawberry and see how that one comes out.

Talk about having your cake and eating it too...well in this case it is pudding, but it tastes so good it almost feels like cheating!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-21-06, 13:48

BF:

Oh NO! Don't use xanthan gum! I tried that and the result was awful. I only started off with a little tiny bit, but the taste was gross....
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-21-06, 18:43

Good to know jun keater! I will avoid that then.....as I said, it is thick enough for my liking anyway.....
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-21-06, 20:41

Stats: 242/233/150 Female 169 cm
BF:
Progress: 10%

Your recipes sound delicious Prof. I was wondering whether you might have suggestions for substitutes for the DaVinci syrups, which are not available here in the wilds of Europe...

TIA,

Rosemary
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-22-06, 00:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 220/154/140 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress: 83%

I've never had a problem with xanthan gum. I did find that if I used too much things got 'slimy' as opposed to 'thick', but if you are careful it's a great help. It's nice to have gravy one and a while!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-22-06, 06:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogg
I've never had a problem with xanthan gum. I did find that if I used too much things got 'slimy' as opposed to 'thick', but if you are careful it's a great help. It's nice to have gravy one and a while!

I haven't either til I made this and used it. All I know is that it was no longer edible AFTER I added it. It was disgusting.....
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-22-06, 06:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmry
Your recipes sound delicious Prof. I was wondering whether you might have suggestions for substitutes for the DaVinci syrups, which are not available here in the wilds of Europe...

TIA,

Rosemary

Hello Rosemary!

Sure, sweetner of your choice, and extract flavor of choice..... You may have to play with the amounts tt get things just so.....

Also, there are a fee other brands like Torano (I think that is how it is spelled) And of course there are many places on line to order some. Check a coffee shop that sells ground coffee's and the like or the coffee section of the local market too.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-22-06, 06:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jun keater
I haven't either til I made this and used it. All I know is that it was no longer edible AFTER I added it. It was disgusting.....

It sounds then like if you are going to cook/bake with it in a savory/strong flavored dish it is fine...but in a cold dessert, it is right out!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-22-06, 08:45

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

I have been making something similar, except I also add in a tbsp of peanut butter and some unsweetened cononut flakes. It's a really nice treat and fills me right up.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 15:41

Plan: various
Stats: 300/265/130 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 21%

I've been craving coconut pie so I will have to try this, sounds great!

Thanks for the info!

Claudia

Oh My! I just noticed your signature...100 lbs gone! Congratulations to you! That's amazing and wonderful. You must feel so good!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-06, 14:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 220/154/140 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jun keater

I've never tried it without cooking it, so I bet it was icky just added in 'raw'!

Oddly enough I have developed a dislike for it cooked as well. It never bothered me before, but now...:-( Yuck.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-06, 14:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Everything you ever wanted to know about coconut milk: http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/in...ts/cocmilk.html