Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-01, 21:08

Plan: My own
Stats: 265/265/200 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking Newbie here

Hello everyone. Just joining this forum. I have been on high protein, low carb for a month now, and have lost 6 pounds. that doesn't seem enough to me, but I'm also happy with 6. I think I am having a hard time figuring out exactly what I am getting for carbs. If you will bear with me, I'd like to tell you what I had today.
Breakfast-4 slices Canadian Back bacon and 2 eggs
Lunch-large salad with lettuce, celery, tomato, feta cheese and sliced pepperoni
Apple in mid-afternoon
Large latte from Starbucks at 5
Supper-cabbage rolls. Made my own. Stuffed cabbage leaves with just hamburger and onion. Took a can of diced tomatoes, put them in the blender with shipping cream, then poured over the cabbage rolls and cooked.
That is what I have had today. According to Fitday. com, I have had 80 grams of carbohydrates. Is that right??? I sure hope not.
Well, that's enough for now. Thanks for being here. I think I will have lots of questions over the next while, if everyone can stand that!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-01, 21:26
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Welcome aboard Glenda!

Wow, we had quite a few members join us from the island lately, you guys should meet.

Fitday sound accurate, I think. What are the guidlines for the Radiant plan?

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-01, 21:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to the forum Glenda!

Radiant Health - Potatoes Not Prozac - is a much slower weight loss plan than stricter plans such as Atkins or Protein Power. The selling feature of RH is building up and maintaining proper beta-endorphin and seratonin levels. For weight loss, she recommends eating from the "green" side.

Where your carbs are, is in the milk in the latte, the apple and the tomatoes.

If you are comfortable with your weight loss, stick to it. If you want to speed things up read Protein Power and Atkins and see if they are plans you can live with.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-01, 22:38

BF:
Thumbs up

Thanks Karen. I don't know if I can do without my lattes!!!!!
I have the Atkins book waiting for me at the library. Glad to hear someone knows the Radiant Health Program. My husband and I are having no problems with it. As I said, it is just so new and trying to figure out the carbs is a little overwhelming. Hubby has not lost anything, but feels good, as I do. Another problem I have is it is hard for me to exercise. I have a a very bad foot, plantar fasciitis, among other things, and long walks are tough for me. I need to figure out something easier. Feel very uncomfortable going to a public pool. Working on getting the feet back in shape, so hopefully soon they will be better. Thanks.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-01, 22:43
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by Glenda
As I said, it is just so new and trying to figure out the carbs is a little overwhelming.

Try out our carbohydrate counter under low carb tools. Quite handy for finding carb count for food categories or specific food items.

You can easily make a low-carb latte with either stevia or splenda for sweetner, and whipping cream.

Wa'il
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-01, 02:33
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Low carbing is a process. As you go along, you adapt and change. You will do things, eat things and think thoughts that astound you!

I started off with lattes sweetened with 4 tsp. of sugar and now drink black coffee. At some point, I will stop drinking coffee. Never say never!

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-01, 06:46

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default Lattes

Quote:
Originally posted by Glenda
I don't know if I can do without my lattes!!!!!

Hi Glenda. FYI Starbucks makes a drink called a Breve. It's a latte made with 1/2 and 1/2. Approx 6 - 7 carbs instead of the 10- 11 from the milk (this is for a small size). They're awsome, but I wouldnt recommend them every day

Coffee w/o sugar can be done, if I can stop using SIX packettes in my 12oz cup...... anyone can (Using whipping cream instead of 1/2 and 1/2 or milk REALLY helps)

Nat
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-01, 09:07

BF:
Default Starbucks Latte

Thanks for the info Nat. I have never seen a Breve on the coffee list here in Victoria. I will ask about it. I think I will try and start making my own again, with a foamer and using whipped cream. Have never tried that, but will see how it works. I don't use sweetener at all so that's no problem for me. Sugar has not been a craving at all in the last month. As a matter of fact, I am really surprised at the lack of cravings I have!!

Thanks again.
Glenda
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-01, 08:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:

welcome glenda! congratulations on losing 6lbs! that's terrific!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 12:00

Plan: zone diet
Stats: 296/296/150
BF:
Progress:

Hey Glenda,
I used to do atkins so that does seem like a lot of carbs, but it sounds healthy. Keep up the good work. I am on the zone and loving it. Debbie
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 11:24

BF:
Talking Thanks for the help!!

Hi again everyone. Well, I think I have things figured out a little better after doing lots more research. Carbs are much better now, and I have cut out the Starbucks lattes!!! Thanks for the information on the breve at Starbucks. I asked, and yes, they knew all aobut it. I had one and it was great. Since lowering the carbs drastically, I think I have lost another 6 pounds, so about 12 total. Seems to be working great. What amazes me through all this is that I have not had any cravings for sweets, and I do not get hungry between meals. Never before have I gone for 6 weeks without eating anything sweet, or having a craving for it.
YAY!!!!

Glenda