Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-04, 12:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 281.1/236.0/160.0 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Food is becoming very unappetizing....

I am six weeks today, Nov. 3, 2004.

Feeling queasy started this past weekend with a vengence. Pre-lowcarb I suffered from virtigo and migraines (which was eventually determined to be from food intake). Low carb helped greatly and I've only had a couple of instances in over a year. This Sunday and Monday my head felt like it was going to explode, and I was dizzy as ever which of course makes your stomach turn. Finally the headache subsided but I just constantly feel like you would if you haven't eaten and 'need to'. I'm weak, light-headed, a bit dizzy and my stomach is in knots.

THANKFULLY...I am not experiencing the physical act of being sick, but all day long I'm light-headed and queasy. Now...starting today foods that were doable are hard to consume. I have incorporated healthy carbs and have chosen to consume organic as much as possible. I thought I would love an old favorite 'apple w/ peanut butter', but that's not appetizing either...water is getting hard to swallow. I need to nibble on something almost every couple of hours.

Ugh...woe is me...lol

I know I'll get used to this or past this but can anyone share some tips.
Like what foods get us the nutrients we need but can also help me out of feeling this way.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-04, 13:54

Plan: My Own
Stats: 258/247/180 Female 5 ft, 5 in
BF:
Progress: 14%

I'm so sorry you're going through this - I can TOTALLY relate. I'm in the same boat. What was good yesterday is the grossest thing on the planet today! And if I'm the slightest bit hungry I'm queasy as heck! If I want something to eat I better eat it right then and there or I won't want it later. Planning dinner has become a huge effort - steak and cauli sounds great in the AM but come dinner time I want something completely different. And to be completely honest with you as I'm typing this my gag reflex is working over time at the smell of DD's bubble gum!!! Thankfully I have yet to be physically sick!!

You're right - we'll get past this - but in the mean time - what do we do?? I read somewhere about lemon helping. Like lemonade, lemon candies (if they make sugar free) and lemon in your water. Some women have had sugar free popsicles to help with their fluid intake, or a ton of ice in a glass of water or ice chips to munch on.

Anybody else have any ideas?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-04, 15:15

BF:
Progress:
Default Thank you so much for replying...

I'm happy to know I'm not the only one. I too hope we get some more input from gals experiencing the same thing.

Oddly, that's what I've been craving most, zesty, tangy flavors. I was just saying to my husband today...we need lemons. I think it will help a ton with the water consumption.

I'm leaving work now...but I hope to check back for some more tips.
By the way...how far long are you???
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 09:14

BF:

Hey PA!

I am 6 weeks and 5 days today. When I was pg with DD I craved lemon/tart things and spicy things - hot wings, Mexican - you name it - if it had any heat to it - I was chowing down! Except Chinese couldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole! I lived on PB&J, Cocoa Pebbles & toast with butter, cinnamon & sugar. (obviously pre-LC!) Right now my cravings are immediate - like if I see something I gotta have it right then and there. I bought all these great salad fixin's the other morning at the store and let me tell you they are rotting in my fridge as we speak!

I hope you are feeling well! How far along are you?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 12:26

BF:
Progress:

I am 6 weeks and 3 days...how funny.

I'm feeling a better, thanks. Actually the day of or after my post I had some extra carbs and it helped me to feel better. I too was going okay with the salad until a few days ago, I can't even think about it and I was devouring it before...

Now I'm experiencing being turned off by food. I know I need to eat so I just do it. The past two AM's it's been yogurt and egg sandwich. Like I tell my husband, that 'feeling' is no longer at the back of my throat, but it's still in my stomach...thinking of food can bring on a bad sensation, but since I'm still not at the physical point of being sick I'll do what I can.

It would be nice to 'not feel this way', but at this I've made it to the gym a couple times this week.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-04, 11:56

BF:

If you're finding the extra carbs are helping you not feel sick then eat them. Do what your body is telling you to do. You've got plenty of time to eat LC after the baby - right now you have to do what is right for you and baby. I believe that I know whats better for me now so I won't be hogging down PB&J and Cocoa Pebbles like I did with DD...a scoop of brown rice with meat and brussel sprouts is probably better for me than 2-3 bowls of Cocoa Pebbles for dinner -we are wiser in our decisions because of our previous LC plan. If all you can stomach right now is the fast food burger - try eating only half the bun - or order 2 burgers and eat only the meat.

I really hope you feel better soon.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-04, 15:23
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball
[color=darkred]...a scoop of brown rice with meat and brussel sprouts is probably better for me than 2-3 bowls of Cocoa Pebbles for dinner.

Agreed!

PAcarber, I got through my first trimester without any sickness so I can't really help you here, but I do think Fireball's advice about choosing healthier carbs over junk is very good. I say, eat whatever makes you not puke, and worry about cleaning up your diet later when the sickness has passed.

I know it's tough, but choke down that water when you can. A lot of pregnant women seem to crave lemony things, so maybe try adding a squirt of lemon to your water? Best of luck to you; feel free to check in my journal anytime as we all get through this LC pregnancy thing together!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 06:20

Plan: Atkins & M/E
Stats: 225/216/140 Female 65
BF:31%/26%/25%
Progress: 11%
Angry

Hi ladies, Can I join in?

I'm 9 weeks and 5 days and in the same boat as the Pa and Fireball. The things I used to LOVE during LCing is now so disgusting I'm at a loss sometimes what to eat!! Unfortunately I have been physically sick but have not barfed as much as I did when I was carrying my DD. I can relate to the hot and spicy cravings! I have invested in a huge bottle of tabasco sauce and dried chillies which I put on EVERYTHING!! I must say thought that even though the queasiness stays with me all day I crave the spicy food most in the evenings. Had some indian food last night which was heavenly!!

What helps me is peppermint tea, chewing sugar fee gum and trying not to get hungry before I eat! My desk at work looks like a supermarket shelf!

Anyway hope this helps and good luck on your journey.
Maamel
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-04, 10:06

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Me too! I'm 7 weeks and have had m/s for a week and a half. Started out with just nausea and has gotten steadily worse! Yesterday is the first day I actually yerged, though.

I haven't been able to stomach anything green for at least a couple of weeks. Fortunately, fruit seems to be working out most of the time. Quite honestly, right now I'm just eating what and when I can and trying to keep it healthy, but this doesn't look like it's going to be a LC trimester. Most meat turns my stomach lately, so I have to be careful how I eat it (soup has been the best so far).

Oh, but the lemons are GREAT! Lemon water (fresh works best) and sniffing lemons is SO effective at settling my stomach most of the time. I carry lemon slices wherever I go now, because I never know what I'm going to smell that will set me off.