Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 07:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/212/160
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Time Between Sets

I am a little bit confused about the rest time between sets. Is there a one minute rest from 6 reps to 12? What is the rest time between the first and second excercise for the same muscle group? Just out of curiousity why are the last two sets of 12 without rest instead of one set of 24? Also, how much should the weight drop between the 6 rep set and the 12?

I tried the BFL workout this weekend and took me about 1 1/2 so I a think I have too much time somewhere. Loved the workout though. Felt wonderful.

Thanks

H
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 08:33

Plan: protein power, Atkins
Stats: 275/254/175 Female 70 inches
BF:53/41/21
Progress: 21%
Default Banshee

OK I'm sure Nat will jump in here too. But this is the way I understand it. I am on week 6 of my 1st BFL challange so am harldy an expert. But......You should rest 1 minute between all reps from 12 down to 6 and to your 2nd set of 12 for the same exercise. Then without resting go to your 2nd exercise for that same muscle and do 12 more. Make sense??? Do a set of 12 rest 1 min do a set of 10 rest one min do a set of 8 rest one min do a set of 6 rest one min then do our 2nd set of 12 switch exercise for same muscle and do 12 more without resting in between. Then rest 2 minutes and start with your 1st 12 of the next muscle group. Hope this helps. Glad you found us!

Messy
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 09:26
Registered Member

BF:

Boy do I have it wrong. I have been doing the all the sets and reps for two exercises per muscle. So the second exercise is for the last set of 12? I read the book and visited the website but I still missed that point. No wonder it was taking so long.

H
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 11:03
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hi Heather!

I took a peek at your journal and noticed that you haven't posted since 4/16..... last entry you made talked about losing all energy at the gym and barely making it home!!

I just wanted to see if you've started using fitday.com? It looks like to me that you're not getting enough calories and probably need to increase your protein and carbs!! ... especially if you're doing DOUBLE WORKOUTS!!! Are you eating when you're hungry? You also talked about being sore all the time.... did you start taking glutamine? It really does work wonders!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 15:51
Registered Member

BF:
Exclamation Oops! Caught.

Yes, my journal has taken a back seat lately. I haven't been experiencing the exhaustion so I guess I have come to a good point. I do take L-Glutamine but not as regularly as I take my vitamins (I am working on that). My appetite has been decreasing of late and I keep wondering how on earth I am supposed to eat 5 cups of broccoli to meat my carb requirements from vegetables. I don't really eat fruit and I must confess that I am terrified of eating too many carbs. This WOE makes me feel great and I don't want to blow it. If you are curious a daily menu is something like this:

Breakfast 1: mock danish with T of sugar free Jelly

Breakfast 2: Protein shake or sunflowers seeds or a few oz of protein

Lunch 1: 1-2 cups of broccoli with 1-2 oz of cheese

Lunch 2: 2-3 chicken thighs

Dinner: 4 oz of steak with 1 cup of broccoli

I haven't managed that last dinner yet. By the end of the day I am stuffed and I don't really want dinner at all. Lunch tends to be my main thing (it's when I am hungriest). I am eating when I am hungry and I actually get hungry about every 2-3 hours. The problem is that I eat a bite or two and fill up.

I keep reading that I should have more carbs and I just don't know where to get them from.

Anyway, my work out is doing well. I spent the first two months getting re-aquainted with the gym. I even hired a trainer, but I haven't been pleased with my results lately and what to try something different and challanging (well part of that is because my trainer said I needed to stop weight training 3 days a week and focus on cardio to lose fat). I like BFL and it suits my schedule and me.

Sorry to ramble on and I appreciate your response. I just hate that I have been doing BFL wrong. Oh well, live and learn. Tomorrow is LBWO so I will make the proper adjustments.

Heather
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 16:47
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Do you have any idea how many grams of protein you are getting every day? Did you know you should be getting 1g/# of body weight? It's pretty hard to do, but if you don't you probably won't grow the muscle you're looking for.... take it from me... I'm learning the hard way.

There's lots of sources for carbs other than fruit... how about pinto beans? Tomatoes? Sweet potatos? Winter squash? Carrots? Any of those sound good? They do to me and I'm getting hungry!!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 19:10
Registered Member

BF:
Default Salsa!

I love salsa and found some with no added sugar. I think that will do the trick. I think you are right about the protein. I will try to get more in. Never thought I would have to force in more food. Still, I want to be stronger. I will be taking scuba classes June 1. I was really hoping to be under 200 by my anniversary (June 30) but I will hope to be able to fit into a new (smaller) dress. Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Heather