Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 06:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/325/150 Male 68
BF:
Progress: 17%
Question Wheat Protein Isolate Bread - Help Needed

I am expecting delivery of my first bag of Wheat Protein Isolate. This is an extremely LC replacement for flour and wheat gluten (1 gram affective carbs / cup). However, I'm hoping to avoid the trial and error learning curve and see if there are any bread machine recipes out there for this product. I am not averse to using other products as well like Vital Wheat Gluten or Soy flour.

Does anybody have any experience with Wheat Protein Isolate?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 20:22

Plan: just low carb
Stats: 350/305/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Just made the best choc chip cookies with WPI -- used it in combination with almond and oat flour, everyone loved them.

Have you done bread yet?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 19:10

Stats: 360/325/150 Male 68
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunslyte
Just made the best choc chip cookies with WPI -- used it in combination with almond and oat flour, everyone loved them.

Have you done bread yet?

I have done bread and I haven't gotten it just right yet. It tastes wonderful, like the best whole wheat bread ever, but I have not gotten the recipe to the point where it comes out right every time. It sometimes as a problem with the crown collapsing while it's cooking. But if you slice it very thin and dry it in the oven, it makes wonderful flat bread type crackers. When I have gotten it to rise coreectly, it is very good. As a matter of fact, better than any LC bread I've tried so far.

Could you share your cookie recipe?

Paladin

Last edited by Paladin : Sun, Dec-07-03 at 19:12.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 19:19
Registered Member

Stats: 185/154/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi to all;

If you haven't found the recipes yet, check the postings under Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes> Bread & Baked Goods> Favorite LC Bread Machine Recipes. I tried the Oat Bread & it turned out well. Haven't tasted it yet (will tomorrow a.m.) but it looks and smells great.

I may try using the dough cycle next time and baking it in the oven. It didn't rise as much as I would have liked in the bread machine.

PurpleRain
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-03, 00:31

Stats: 285.4/278.2/170 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 6%

Where did you buy the WPI? I found it, but it was VERY expensive.

Sherry
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 13:57
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hi Sherry

I ordered it from lowcarber.com along with 2 8oz bottles of liquid Splenda (they call it 0carb syrup base). The 5 lb. bag of WPI and 2 liquid splenda cost me $80.70 US ($104.75 Cdn) which included $18 shipping. I know it's expensive but if one can't get it in Canada, what can you do. I'm fortunate that I know some people in Oroville WA which is less than a 2 hour drive from where I live in the Okanagan. They don't ship to Canada so I have to add the cost of gas to drive down there and pick it up. But then, we're retired and our daughter lives just this side of the border so it's not really a problem for us.

I was just checking out out another site in Australia that was selling the WPI for
$35 and the syrup for $22 (Australian $ of course) but I don't know how that compares.

The only thing I know for sure - none of this low carb stuff is inexpensive.

Now - the bread I baked the other day but hadn't tasted yet - it tastes wonderful. The only thing I found is that it is a little tough - which I think comes from the triple rising in the bread machine. As I said - next one I'm going to use the dough cycle and will let you know how it turns out.

Lorraine
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 17:46
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I should have mentioned in my previous post about the bulk of WPI. I was very surprised at the size of the bag. Because it is so light and fluffy, the WPI seems to be about 3 times the volume of regular flour. My 5 lb bag looked more like about a 15 lb bag. So I figure it's worth the price to get something that only has 1.5 carbs per cup.

Happy New Year everyone

PS - just realized I misspelled locarber.com (no w in it)
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 21:54

BF:

Well, I posted, but it didn't dhow up!

Anyway...Thanks for the info, PurpleRain (like the name..."Prince-ess", by any chance?)

I didn't realize it would be so light...bulk helps justify the cost a bit.

I guess I'll have to order a bag and give it a whirl!

Sherry
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 23:40
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hi Sherry - not sure what you mean by Prince-ess - but the name comes from my favorite color and part of the nickname Rainie. I though it had a nice ring to it.

Your shipping cost should be quite a bit less as it comes from NY, which is a lot closer to Alabama than Washington.

Good luck
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 18:58

BF:

PurpleRain...

OOPS...I thought you might have been a "Prince" fan (his song "Purple Rain")...back in the 80's, girls around here who liked Prince referred to themselves as a "Prince-ess".

Never once considered it might just refer to something else...

silly, old ME!

Sherry