Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 08:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/142/120 Female 5'5"
BF:?%/27%/cur20%18%
Progress: 44%
Default Help pros! Ideal fat percentage for life?

In reveiwing the existing threads and trying to get a feel for what pre-maintentance/ maintenance will be, is it realistic to say that 60% or so of one's intake will still come from fat, 30% protein?

It appears that most people are staying around 40-60 grams carbs daily as well.

I just want to be sure that I am understanding this correctly.

Thank You!
Kristen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 13:25
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenv
In reveiwing the existing threads and trying to get a feel for what pre-maintentance/ maintenance will be, is it realistic to say that 60% or so of one's intake will still come from fat, 30% protein?

It appears that most people are staying around 40-60 grams carbs daily as well.

I just want to be sure that I am understanding this correctly.

Thank You!
Kristen

Your maintenance fat percentage is a function of your maintenance carb percentage. Don't stress about the actual numbers. Just try to focus on finding a level of carbs which makes you feel the best and stick with it. As you add more sugar calories into the diet, calories from fat - even if they stay the same which they probably won't - will naturally decrease as a percentage.

Also it's not necessary to eat that much protein. If you want to, have at it, but you don't really need to. If you like you can swap some protein for carbs in maintenance. Now I could be totally wrong but judging by your original weight your maintenance carbs will probably be high enough to fuel your body w/o significant glucose being derived from gluconeogenesis... so eating that much protein isn't necessary. It probably won't be necessary for you to stick to the super low levels of 40-60 for life. Heck, I have a history of morbid obesity, pcos, history of blood sugar issues, a very sedentary lifestyle, and a strong familial history of insulin disorders and I tend to rarely eat below 60 carbs per day. I am just fine on that.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 05:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/142/120 Female 5'5"
BF:?%/27%/cur20%18%
Progress: 44%

Thanks Woo

It is funny as a year ago I essentally lived on carbs, now the idea of 40 a day is rather daunting, mostly as I do not want to start up the craving again!! (major former carb addict) I know alot of this WOE is trial and error, I have become very comfortable on my plan as it stands and just want to have a feel for where I am headed with OWL and pre-maintenence!

Kristen