Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 16:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144/117/115 Female 5' 3.5
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default I've Arrived!

Hi! I'm new to maintenance--my stats show that I'm still 5 lbs over my goal, however. I'm pretty happy where I am right now, and I really just want to get as toned as I possibly can. (I'm happy being a size 6--below that and it's hard to find clothes!) I've been doing OWL and hanging at 25 carbs/day. Funny thing, I went up on my carb level last week by 5 gms, and I lost 3 lbs in one week! I haven't done that since induction. (I had been in a "stall" for about 6 weeks.) I'm thinking I will have to be careful about going too quickly with adding foods back.
Here's a question I'm a bit fuzzy on--as you add more carbs, should you cut back on fat? I like eating fat and protien, because it keeps me from being hungry. I'd almost rather stick with the fat and forget the fruit!
I'm also kind of scared about gaining weight back, so I guess that will help motivate me to add stuff back slowly.
At any rate, I thought I'd give myself some treats on the weekend. Yesterday, I ate a half grapefruit with breakfast, and today I had a slice of toasted Atkins bread to go with my fried eggs. I've been feeling really good, so I've not been tempted to go wild--don't want to get on that blood sugar roller coaster again!
I'm just realizing that Maintenance is going to be trickier than Induction or OWL. I'm looking forward to the friendly support of you all. Maintenance really is a different frame of mind.

Peach
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 16:47
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Congrats Peach!

I arrived last week (February 15). I am at 35g of carbs right now but sometimes my fat is still as high as 70%. I think I am going to increase mine to 40g this week because I am still losing. You are right as you increase carbs you have to lower your fat but I think our (your and mine) grams are still pretty low at the moment to worry about lowering the fat. We should be try to increase our carbs 5g per week until we find our level for maintaining.

I have not tried LC bread yet. I also bought a grapefruit but when I check the carb count I was kind of nervous to try it. When I do I will make sure I have it with protein and fat.
Quote:
I'm also kind of scared about gaining weight back, so I guess that will help motivate me to add stuff back slowly.
I feel the same way. I am so used to working toward losing. We have to move forward though.

You should get the Atkins for Life book. I have to get it this week too.

BTW, how tall are you? I'm 5' 1".

red
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 00:23

BF:

Hi Red!
Thanks for your note, and congrats to you on making your goal, too! I do have the Atkins For Life Book. I've just got to re-read it. Lots of great recipes--ones even my kids like. The 1/2 grapefruit was pretty small--should only be about 8 carbs. I figure when I have 3 fried eggs, then that's only 8 carbs for that meal. I guess you learn to balance your carb intake that way. I definitely wouldn't eat carbs all by themselves. The low-carb bread tastes good! I think part of the reason it's low carb/serving is that the slices are pretty small. Oh well--I figure it's something I'll treat myself to on Sunday mornings when the rest of the family has English Muffins. I'll probably never really go back to having a sandwich, or potatoes, or rice. I used to be practically addicted to rice, but that is gone now. I've found that I really shouldn't eat nuts. They set me off, and I go "nuts" for them. I think they were a big reason for my last stall. I stopped eating them, and even though I increased other carbs (mostly veggies, and the grapefruit), I still lost weight. Oh well, I really liked nuts.
Here's a minor victory--I was grocery shopping yesterday, and feeling a little hungry. Well, my mouth didn't start watering until I was standing in front of the meat case deciding which steak to buy! Wow! My body is getting re-trained! Yeah!
BTW, I'm 5'3.5". I notice we're probably about the same size. I'm very small boned.
Do you keep a journal? I've been using the Atkin's spiral-bound journal. I find that it really helps me to stay on track. I also keep a little graph with my weight loss plotted on it. It helps me to visually see where I'm at.
Hey--if this forum isn't very active, maybe you and I can get it moving!

Peach
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 09:50
"Natural Mystic"

Hi Peach! Thanks so much for the congrats, it means alot.

I can't wait to get the Atkins for Life book. I'm not really into cooking but I am interested in the tips and suggestions on maintaining for life. I have had to cook alot more on this WOE than before I started and now I don't really like eating out because who knows what's in food. I mainly make simple stuff.

I'm the opposite of you. I eat alot of nuts. I love them. They are my weak spot. Before Christmas I was eating alot of almonds and I don't know if was the almonds or the fact that I was doing body for life but I was not losing scale wise. Now I have been eating alot of pecans and cashews (not roasted and not salted). Apart from the fact that love them they help with my carb count.

I eat berries but I want to add more fruit. What kind of lowcarb bread do you use? I was going to buy lc bread one day but got nervous and decided not too. The same with Splenda. I bought a box and never used it and gave it to my Mom. The thing is I looked at the ingredients and saw that it monodextrin (I know that's sugar). In my head I'm thinking relax and just get it but I can't. Do you use Splenda?
Quote:
I used to be practically addicted to rice
Me too! That was my weakness. I loved rice.

I tried 1/2 sq. of unsweetened chocolate this week with a tablespoon of cream. It was bitter but full of fat and had some carbs too. It's supposed to help with cravings. Maybe its the taste.

I am also small boned, I think. I also keep a journal. I have also tracked everything from the day I started and I still am. I also have a graph where I track my weight loss every month. A friend set it up for me. I love keeping track.

Let's keep this place active okay?

Have a good maintenance day.

red
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 11:58
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey Peach! Welcome aboard!!

I'm with you - I'd rather have the fat than the fruit! I love berries, and I'm indifferent about any other kind of fruit. There's no reason why you can't get your vitamins from veggies instead. And of course, we *are* eating fruit when we're eating peppers, tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, eggplant, olives and avocados.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 12:56
"Natural Mystic"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I'm with you - I'd rather have the fat than the fruit! I love berries, and I'm indifferent about any other kind of fruit. There's no reason why you can't get your vitamins from veggies instead. And of course, we *are* eating fruit when we're eating peppers, tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, eggplant, olives and avocados.
I did not know what peppers, squash, cucumbers, eggplant & olives were also fruit. Cool, so I eat fruitbesides berries . I love avocados, olives, peppers and tomatoes. Thanks Kristine.

I am going to get a squash this week and maybe some eggplant.

red
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 19:19

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

Hey red and peach, congrats to both of you! Yea!!!

I've been meaning to look at Atkins for Life again--if u find any good recipes or sample menues, mind posting them? Oh, and as for upping carbs, you'll be surprised with what u can eat--looking at atkins for life, i think he says grapefruit is a "eat regular" food. I also love grapefruit though many other fruits make me feel kinda sick (the sugar, i guess?)

Kristine-- cucumbers and eggplants are fruits? well, they have seeds, but i'm pretty sure their veggies....

Peach--try starting a journal on this site, it's really helpful and fun! =)

Red--omg, nuts are my weakness too and almonds are my absolute fav! Supposedly, almonds one of the healthiest nuts for you though =) Why did u switch to cashews? (also good but i think atkins says almonds are to be eaten regularly while cashews should be consumed in moderation-- i mean, if u prefer cashews, by all means chomp away but if u love almonds like me, don't restrain yourself for something u think is "healthier"....peanuts are also good for the carb count and walnuts in salad are heavenly!) Here's a great recipee for you: mix 1-2 eggs with butter, LOTS of cinammon, and artificial sweetner, stir in pecans, roast in toaster oven or regular oven.....soooooo good, and cinammon helps regulate insulin! Oh, i don't use splenda cause its too expensive but I use Equal and nutrasweet, have for years cause my parents are diabetic, never had a problem!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 19:34
"Natural Mystic"

More people!

Hi Trusty! I'm glad I'm not the only nut lover here. I went away for Christmas and started eating raw cashews and I have been hooked since. I also read somewhere on here that almonds can slow down weaightloss for some people (not sure if it is true) so that's also why but I guess if I don't make it a daily thing I don't have to worry.

I have not had peanuts yet. Is that the only legume that you eat? I have never tried walnuts. The reason I use pecans because they are high in fiber and fat and really filling.
Quote:
Here's a great recipee for you: mix 1-2 eggs with butter, LOTS of cinammon, and artificial sweetner, stir in pecans, roast in toaster oven or regular oven.....soooooo good, and cinammon helps regulate insulin! Oh, i don't use splenda cause its too expensive but I use Equal and nutrasweet, have for years cause my parents are diabetic, never had a problem!
Sounds yummy! I only use Splenda in some of my shakes (already come with it) when I buy a convenience one for after my workout. I would like to try Stevia though but it is really expensive and I read if you don't get it right it can get really bitter. I will try it.

I just had the most delicious dinner. I actually baked a whole spaghetti squash (1 hour...400 celsius). Then made an alfredo sauce with cream (carnation in tin), blk pepper, sea salt, 1 tablespoon of parmesan grated and 20 shrimp. It was amazing. You guys should try it.

How is maintenance going for you?

red
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 21:44

BF:

I do use splenda--mostly in my tea, and on the grapefruit. I think the maltodextrin is a derivative of sugar--the part that makes it taste sweet. It's separated from the carbons that would make it a "carbo"-hydrate. It's chemically manipulated, but I don't think they have found evidence that it's bad for you (unlike aspartame or saccharin). If you're okay without it, then keep doin' what you're doin!
I've wondered about the journal thing--I'll start a new thread and ask about that!
Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Peach
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 16:16

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

i haven't read too much about almonds specifically causing stalls, as opposed to other nuts, but hey, you're on maintenance now, remember? =) Don't worry about stalls....lol
never had walnuts!!! girl, you've been missing out! Not only are they great source of omega-3s, they're super delicious, highly recommend them In maintenance, you can actually have a variety of legumes, but peanuts are lower carb and tasty. that recipe of yours sounds delicious, by the way.... and i'm a poor college student and there's only equal in the dining halls, but if u're using splenda, i would stick with it--it does seem to be a good option! Also, fruit20 and some other products advocated my prominent groups like the american diabetic association use splenda, so i'm pretty sure its safe!

Peach--i'll check out that thread u started right now
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 12:35

Stats: 286/285/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 1%

Actually, Splenda/sucralose has not been tested thoroughly, and was rushed through the FDA process. It has made a number of people sick. The few scientific studies done on it are dubious at best. I found this out after I continued to break out in small hives after eating it. There is a good number of information on this online.

I avoid sucralose, but haven't noticed any side effects with occasional xylitol or maltitol. Xylitol is spendy, but can actually help with health issues such as sinus infections and tooth decay. It also does not alter when heated or baked.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 00:24
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 155/115/115 Female 5'2"
BF:

Peachy, can I jump in here. New to this bb so bear with me. I love walnuts and eat a handful every evening. Lots of Omega 3's like Trustycat said. I eat berries but have just added an apple. I love them but have been really petrified to add them. I've been at maintaince for 13 months. I eat legal but have trouble with portions....STILL!!!

Peachy, I see you're from Poulsbo!! I live in East Bremerton and bring my grandson up to work at Bk 5 days a week. Also my Dr. moved up there from Silverdale so I hit Poulsbo quite often. Should meet for coffee sometime. Julie
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 22:13

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:

Hi there,

Congrats to you Peach for reaching Maint.

Also, I have pleasure in reading you've reached your goal weight, Red!

Best of luck,

Frederick