Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 09:08
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%
Default Your Favourite Stores?

What are your favourite stores for clothing? Especially when you're still chunky, but closing in on (hopefully) goal weight at some point. Still chunky, and having trouble finding things that fit ok - because the weight loss hasn't exactly been even etc.

Where do you like to shop, and why? What are your favourite brands?

Thanks

Sara
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 09:12

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I shop at the thrift store and get exposed to brands that way - without the price. I was impressed with a Chico's shirt I got. Old Navy pants have been very good for me. I like to go to Ross, too, because there is a variety. I can't shop in Macy's because everything is made for tall, bigger women. Everything ends up being too big somewhere. I did get fitted for a bra there recently, though, and that was a good experience.

I am still in an 18W, though, so you probably want to talk to smaller ladies.

Janine
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 09:17
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

You're a pear, Sara, so you want to find brands for pears, not apples. Even though you may think you have a big tummy, you have a small waist.

When I was a 12, I liked "Lauren," Anne Klein, the Gap, Old Navy, Jones New York. You want to look for jeans that have some stretch like Levi 550s.

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx...&ItemId=1468dd5

The waistlines are creeping up again. My 550s sit right below the navel. I would suggest going to JC Penny and trying on the various Levis. You're bound to find one that is perfect at a reasonable price.

My fav place to shop is Neiman Marcus. I try to restrain myself.

Last edited by lowcarbUgh : Wed, Aug-13-08 at 09:27.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 09:34

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

For a pear, Newport News could work very well if you like the youngish style. I have also heard that the Gap classic cut jeans are pear-friendly.

Janine
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 09:46
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
You're a pear, Sara, so you want to find brands for pears, not apples. Even though you may think you have a big tummy, you have a small waist.

When I was a 12, I liked "Lauren," Anne Klein, the Gap, Old Navy, Jones New York. You want to look for jeans that have some stretch like Levi 550s.

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx...&ItemId=1468dd5

The waistlines are creeping up again. My 550s sit right below the navel. I would suggest going to JC Penny and trying on the various Levis. You're bound to find one that is perfect at a reasonable price.

My fav place to shop is Neiman Marcus. I try to restrain myself.

As a pear, I can tell you that I love all of my Levis!!! Susan is right again!!
I don't know which dept stores are in your malls there....but if JCPs has Levis....do what Susan said and just go and try on a lot of them to see which you like the best!
I love Lord & Taylor better than Macy's. I always shop the clearance racks and get great buys!!

Your gonna have so much fun tryng on new sizes and seeing your
new body!!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 09:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297/273/170 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

I love Ross and Fashion Bug!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 10:19

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I like going to the thrift store and trying on everything they have that looks like it might be my size. I'll only buy things that fit properly and are flattering- unless I'm REALLY out of clothes that fit and I'm desperate.

I don't want to spend "real money" on clothes when my size is hopefully shifting rapidly. Even then, I'll probably keep on thrifting, just collect more items in my size as time goes on.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 10:33
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I love Lord & Taylor better than Macy's. I always shop the clearance racks and get great buys!!

Your gonna have so much fun tryng on new sizes and seeing your
new body!!!

You're the fashion expert. What are your fave pear brands? In my mind, the pattern is everything and the trick is to find the manufacturer with the pattern that matches you shape best.

I agree, try on and try on more brands.

To get motivated, watch "What Not to Wear" on TLC.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 14:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 363/280/180 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%

I shop Old Navy online. They have plus size and they aren't that expensive. As my weight changes I still have to look good for work. Old Navy and Lane Bryant have worked best. I also try to catch the end of the season sales and by one less size for the next year. I know that is assuming I will be another size but that has been my goal and it is working out pretty well.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 14:54

Plan: Atkins (Strict Induction)
Stats: 183/120/115 Female 5'7.5"
BF:21.6%
Progress: 93%

I love Banana Republic and most of their pants have a little bit of spandex in them - so comfortable!!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 14:54

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

If you're willing to hunt TJ Maxx can have some good stuff.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 15:18
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan
You're the fashion expert. What are your fave pear brands? In my mind, the pattern is everything and the trick is to find the manufacturer with the pattern that matches you shape best.

Thanks but I do not consider myself an expert...just someone who was actually in the industry for 25 years.

You are so right on the pattern aspect of the whole thing. Problem is, mfrs will change their pattern from year to year so you always need to try stuff on!! I hate trying on in the stores!!

My fave pear bottoms so far have been from DKNY...until this eyar when she changed her pattern Calvin Klein has always been too slim for my ample hips so I tend to shy away from him. Levis is great...I was wearing their 12s but they are too big on me now....so its back to the sotre to try on again!!

I can do well at TJ Maxx....or Filenes...but must try on there too....because a lot of the time, you are buying seconds or IRs...irregulars, not insulin resistant!! Marshalls too.

I like Gap for their newest fits....they are trying to go to body shapes to. I saw that Eddie Bauer(catalogue) is doing that now too. I think that its the newest way to sell to us....cater to body shape differences.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 17:50

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 257/232/200 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 44%

I love Ross, Marshalls, and Fashion Bug. I also go to stores that have a set price, e.g. Suzie's Deals (everthing in the store is for $5.99 or less), and recently my daughter wanted to go to a store called Steve and Barry's (this store is a good drive from us, but we vacation very close to a location so we were able to go) and all the clothing in there was $8.98, including Sarah Jessica Parker's line called "Bitten". The sizes went all the way up to 22, so I was able to get a few pairs of 18's, just had to dart them in the back because of the dip in my back where my bottom becomes 'da butt.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 11:43
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh

I agree, try on and try on more brands.

To get motivated, watch "What Not to Wear" on TLC.

!!!! I am so dense sometimes..... I just got it when you referred to me as "expert" on this subject!! cuz of my ample butt and hips!!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 15:16
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
!!!! I am so dense sometimes..... I just got it when you referred to me as "expert" on this subject!! cuz of my ample butt and hips!!

No, because you worked in New York city in the fashion industry! You deserve a for that.

Besides, I'm not familiar with your butt and hips...

And my comments about trying on more brands were to Sara!

Last edited by lowcarbUgh : Thu, Aug-14-08 at 15:33.