Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-11-06, 16:48
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%
Default Bathing Suit Anxiety...

Well, I'm off to Puerto Rico next Tuesday and I don't have a bathing suit. It's been awhile since I went to a tropical/beachy place, and I was a lot slimmer back then. I'm very pale as well, with flabby upper arms and lots of cellulite on the backs of my fat legs.

Needless to say, I'm kinda dreading the whole pool/beach aspect of this upcoming trip, because I feel bad about the way my body looks these days. Yes, I've known about this trip since January, and no...I didn't work extra hard to lose weight in time for it. I'm still where I was months and months ago, but I'm persistently continuing on, making tweaks here and there and being more motivated some weeks than others.

Does anyone have any advice on bathing suits or how I might make myself feel a bit better about all this? I don't tan well either...usually burn to a bright lobster-like red and if I spend too much time in the sun, my hair goes almost white and I end up looking like some kind of savage. I haven't tried anything like self-tanners or what have you, simply because I don't know what to buy or how to apply it - I'm afraid of looking orange or fake too, so I just ignore those products.

I've got this old bathing suit which is actually way too big for me, and a couple that are still too small, so I need a new suit. I'm really not looking forward to shopping for one either.

In addition to this bathing suit anxiety I'm feeling, I haven't worn shorts since I gained weight, because I hate the way my ghost-like, pale and flabby legs look...so I just stick to pants. Unfortunately, I'm fearing that I'll look a little silly at a waterfront resort wearing pants all the time.

Does anyone have any advice in terms of how I could look or feel better in this situation?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-11-06, 16:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/149.6/125 Female 61.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

They make a lot of wonderful bathing suits these days that work to hide a belly, or cover up the tops of the thighs without looking odd. I forget what that line of suits is called, but they would be available in any bathing suit shop.
Also - you could consider a spray on tan just before you go to both feel less pasty white and actually protect yourself from the sun. I think that they last for a couple of weeks. There are spray on tanning places all over the place here - but that is because I'm in Seattle.
And the best thing you can do is really enjoy your vacation!! People will look at your smile before anything else. Enjoy yourself in Puerto Rico! (And I'm jealous!)
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-12-06, 08:31

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

Puerto Rico!!!!!! WOW!!

I know Jergens makes this gradual self tanner...that builds the more you apply it. So it's not like one day you're really fair and the next day TAN! I've also heard that it's not a fake orangey look either!

I don't have much bathing suit advice because I never know where to find them myself!

But I'd have to agree with hakimaj about really enjoying yourself while on this trip!! Throw caution to the wind!! Hell, you'll probably never see these people again!

And I'm convinced that some very overweight man who INSISTS upon wearing a speedo will be attracting the most attention!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-12-06, 09:17
I've decided

Awww...thanks you two! You're both right...I should be thinking about how neat it is that I'm going to Puerto Rico instead of worrying about body image anxiety.

I think I'll investigate the idea of some kind of tanner - either the spray on kind or some type of lotion. I hear that this stuff helps hide cellulite a bit. Like I said though, I've never tried any of these things, and I don't tan well naturally anyway. I hate the thought of a tanning booth...don't think I'd like that, but maybe I could convince myself to try the lotion or the spray-on kind. I'm sure my husband will tease me about it though.

I've got a gift certificate in my wallet for a manicure/pedicure, so I'll make the appointment for sometime before I leave Tuesday and that will help a bit too.

I looked up "bathing suit advice" on Google and got a few good ideas for what to look for in a bathing suit. I *hate* shopping for bathing suits (don't most of us?), so I just have to decide whether I'll do that today or put it off till later in the weekend.

I should maybe get some shorts too...and stop caring so much about the fat, white legs thing. Talk about self-conscious. Geez. I can't figure out what's worse - worrying about how I look in shorts or a bathing suit, or feeling stupid because I'm the only one wearing long pants.

Thanks again you two - I'll just get on with enjoying the trip and go get the stupid shorts and bathing suit this weekend. Maybe with a bit of help (the tanning stuff and pedicure) I'll feel a bit better about it all.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-12-06, 09:34
Registered Member

Stats: 125/110/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have traveled a lot around the tropical vacation spots in the Caribbean and you know what I have seen? A lot of not model-perfect (i.e. "overweight") people. You will probably be surprised. I noticed that you have lost a significant amount of weight and you should be proud of yourself. Two months ago I was in St. Thomas, San Juan, Nassau and I would say that the majority of people were by no means thin, and they were having a great time!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-12-06, 11:58

Plan: Organic/Dr. Berg
Stats: 239/201.6/150 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 42%

Hey Ladies!
I've been using the Jergens gradual tanner and I love it. It is very subtle and takes several days/weeks, so it's not like everybody goes "somebody went to the tanning booth.....ha ha ha ha ha" I carry almost all of my extra weight in my thighs and understand the AAAACCCK feeling associated with swim suits. I must say though, my legs look so much better tan than when white and somehow makes them look slimmer! It also helps with the apperance of the cellulite. If you are really worried about your upper thighs, I would suggest that when you go shopping, look for a pair of board shorts that will compliment the bathing suit. I cannot remember the last time I wore a swimsuit WITHOUT board shorts! Also since swimsuits are so ridgid, they tend to squish the fat right around the leg openings and make one look worse than actual, so another good reason to wear board shorts! Unlike jean or cotton shorts, the board shorts look stylish and don't get heavy when wet, and dry quickly. Just my 2 cents.
PS we are the same height and only 3 lbs difference.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-12-06, 13:19
I've decided

I feel much better already.

I'm a little weirded out about trying a spray tan booth...so maybe I'll pick up some of that Jergens lotion. If I start with it today, will I look a little less pale by Tuesday?

Oh..and what are board shorts? Kind of like swim shorts of some kind? I'm so out of the loop when it comes to swimwear/active wear.

I'm going shopping in about an hour and a half for shorts, bathing suit and so on.

Thanks again everyone for the advice and tips - it's much appreciated.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-12-06, 13:22
I've decided

Quote:
Also since swimsuits are so ridgid, they tend to squish the fat right around the leg openings and make one look worse than actual,

Truckgirl, you hit the nail on the head....that's exactly what happens. Like sausage in casing. Blech!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-12-06, 13:24
I've decided

Last edited by Citruskiss : Fri, May-12-06 at 13:31.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-12-06, 14:26

BF:

Yep, those are board shorts. They are a made from a light material that doesn't *stick* to you, and dry quickly.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-12-06, 14:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
I'm a little weirded out about trying a spray tan booth...so maybe I'll pick up some of that Jergens lotion. If I start with it today, will I look a little less pale by Tuesday?

I guess it just depend on how dark you are right now and how well your skin responds to the lotion.......but it didn't do much for me in 4 days.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-13-06, 08:43
I've decided

Thanks for the advice and tips.

I actually managed to get a pretty decent bathing suit yesterday in less than an hour...tried on a bunch, hated most of them, but lo and behold, I actually found one that I don't feel too awful in. I was amazed.

I was expecting it to be a nightmare...as it usually is, but I went to a big department store with a huge selection of bathing suits and I think that helped me avoid having to go to umpteen stores and try on umpteen bathing suits. I got a tankini type suit, along with some simple black board shorts. I almost bought two suits, but the top on one was slightly too small and did that "pushing the fat" thing that I hate so much.

By the way, those Miraclesuits are no miracle....sure, they make you look slimmer where the suit is covering your body, but then, they're so tight and girdle-like that the suit pushes all that flab out - an unattractive rearrangement to say the least. Somehow, the regular suits end up looking more slimming because you're not being squeezed half to death.

I really like the board shorts - that was a great piece of advice truckgirl. I feel comfortable enough in them that I know I'll be able to go from beach to cafe without the need to change or add some weird cover-up thingy.

I'm kind of surprised, I actually look ok in this suit and shorts I got. And shopping for it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd expected. I feel relieved!

Thanks

PS - to anyone else out there facing this same dilemma....tankinis are the way to go, as are a pair of cute board shorts. Forget the "tummy tamers" or the "look ten pounds slimmer in ten seconds" varieties...uncomfortable and unattractive. Go to a huge department store that has a lot to choose from and you'll find something.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-14-06, 13:59

Stats: 205/149.6/125 Female 61.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hey Citruskiss-
I'm glad to hear that you found something that you like!!
The miracle suit worked for me when I was at my heaviest because it de-emphasized the tummy and emphasized the bosom.
I've never tried a tankini or board shorts (thanks Truck Girl too) - but given the general state of my thighs I'll give it a try this summer.
Have such a great time on your vacation!!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-14-06, 18:15
I've decided

Thanks a lot