Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-10, 15:13

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%
Default Specifically about wheat sensitivity

My 18 year old son evidently has a sensitivity to wheat. He has been off of it for a week and a half and shows so much improvement it's amazing. He has no weight problem and is not low carbing but I felt sure I could come here for answers that I can't find elsewhere on the web. (I do low-carb, myself.) My reason for posting is to find out what we should expect in the way of continued improvement over the next week or two. The websites I read to decide which food to target first stated that there should be improvement within a week or two. I think they are striving to be cautious so as not to disappoint those with slow results. His have been astounding.
His symptoms included a flaky rash on his forehead, in his hairline, in his brows and across the bridge of his nose onto his cheeks. That skin on his cheeks was not flaky but it was red and rough and thickened. He also had chronic sinus irritation and sneezed a lot. He has had pain in his back but we're not so sure that was due to the wheat, even in hindsight. Finally, he has had loose stools and IBS-type complaints as well. We went to a highly respected dermatologist who told us it was a fungus and prescribed topical meds. He took them with limited success. I do believe a fungus is to blame but I think his susceptibility to it is due to the wheat.
Within the first 18 hours of skipping the wheat, his sinuses almost completely cleared up. within two days, his skin was about thirty percent better and has steadily improved. It looks almost normal at this point. He says he had watery blisters on his scalp that are also gone.
So, again, how long should we expect the improvement to continue without further measures? It seems to me that he is almost at a standstill but I feel like that is just the nature of this kind of problem. If the fungus is still there, we have some things from the health food store to address that but if his skin will continue to improve strictly due to the lack of wheat, I would like to know what to expect in that regard.
Does anyone have any experience with wheat sensitivity, specifically?
Sponsored Links