Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-05, 21:38
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 140/140/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Where are you at on CAD?

Today is my first day.
Where are you at and how is it going?
Rivers
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 12:41

Plan: Plant-based
Stats: 200/168/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

I have been on CAD since Sept 04 with a 2 mth break where I did Low Carb, but I am back to CAD. I just love this plan to much to stray too far Its so livable!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 17:01
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Well today is day 2.
I have eaten much more protein than I usually do.
I can't even imagine how I am going to keep it interesting.
It sure does make you feel more full though.
That is a definite plus!!!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 22:17
Registered Member

Stats: 157/153/150 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Hi Rivers,

Welcome to the CAD/CALP forum! I'm new too, but I've been reading the posts for a while and everyone is really nice and helpful. It's great to be able to ask questions and get advice from others.

In another post you were asking about the difference between CAD and CALP. CAD was the Hellers' first book, and they have continued to refine the plan and present it in different ways - they've also written one for people concerned about heart health, and that was actually the first one that I read. To me, they're all variations of the same plan. I've read all three of the ones I mentioned, and it helps to know which parts of the program have stayed constant, and which they have improved on as they have learned from people's experiences.

Good luck! --TwoCats
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-05, 06:27
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hi TwoCats and thanks for your reply!!
I think I did okay on the first couple of days.
I think I am going to move on to day 2 of the plan
Glad to see it is working for others!!!!
Rivers
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-05, 13:30

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 185/169/163 Female 5'2"
BF:45%/39%/29%
Progress: 73%

I have been on for a month and a half and have found it the easiest diet I have ever done. As for "keeping it interesting" I have found that doing routine CMs is OK for me because I get all the variety I want in the RM. I'd rather just grab something quick and mindless during the day, and then relax and enjoy at my RM. I feel like a kid in a candy store knowing I can eat whatever I want at that time of day.

My weight loss has been slow but steady, and the biggest factor for me is whether or not I exercise. If I exercise, I lose, if I don't, I maintain, whether I balance my RMs or not. If I go off plan -- I gain. When I go back on plan -- the gain disappears. Simple as that.

Here's wishing you the best of luck on your CAD journey!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-05, 14:58
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thank you SelfCare!!
I know I bought the other CAD book and it is in the house somewhere!!!! I was searching today and have not come across it. I want to see what happens after the 7 days lol
I need to start moving more too. The snow melted off of our cement pad so I am thinking of pulling out the skipping rope and skipping. My husband says it is excellent exercise for the heart and will wear off the fat too!!!
Rivers
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-05, 19:01

Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%

Hey Selfcare I am the exact same way!!!!

Welcome: Rivers! I find that I don't need as much variety either since i have the rm's but I am trying to get variety this week as I try to eat more healtfully! (making sure to get those veggies and things like that)
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-05, 20:10
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Well I found my book so I am very happy about that!!!
I need to work more veggies into my plan and will start doing that tomorrow.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-05, 22:02
Registered Member

BF:

I think I am like selfcare and pre3teach in that I don't need all that much variety in my cm's since there is the daily excitement of the rm. In fact, I tend to find one or two cm's that work and then eat the same thing day after day. It's probably healthier for me to rotate my proteins and veggies, though.

Oddly enough, I haven't noticed my weight loss corresponding with exercise like selfcare has, though that would make more sense. In fact, when I work out really hard (like lifting weights), I tend to put on a half pound. I tell myself it's all muscle so it's a good thing, and don't let it stop me from working out when I am inspired. But most of the time I do yoga and go for walks, which are both pretty mellow.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-05, 06:16
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

So how much do you eat for a RM? And how do you balance it?
Rivers
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-05, 22:56
Registered Member

BF:

It really varies. If I eat well all day and make a point to have enough fat, then I am not starved at night and I eat a regular meal for my rm. However, sometimes (especially if I don't eat high fat all day), then I am ravenous for my rm and I can eat quite a bit of food. I am tall (5'10") and I seem to eat a lot of food in general. Also, this need to keep fat up does not seem to be something that everyone on CAD has. I've read that some people need to keep their cm's more on the low fat side to do well, so it really varies from one person to another.

As to what I eat, I tend to eat really healthy, fresh food, almost all organic, free-range, etc. Since I don't eat a lot of junk food, I don't worry so much about balancing my meal - I just eat until I feel satisfied. Some nights it's lots of protein and veggies, other nights it's more carb-heavy. In the past when I did CAD, the main thing for me to be successful was to be strict about my cm's - and maybe have only one instead of two. I found that I could be pretty relaxed about what I ate for my rm. Again, some people have to be really careful about balancing their rm, so you'll have to learn how it is for you, and I think if you eat sugar you will probably have to be more careful to balance since it's such a concentrated carb food. I posted my dinner tonight on the main thread for you, so you can check that out to see the details. My aim is generally to eat at least one serving each of protein, veggies, and fruit or starch at my rm's, and then I let my appetite dictate the rest of the details.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-05, 07:49

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 185/184/150 Female 5ft4in
BF:
Progress: 3%

I'll chime in here! I think I"m on full week #2 for me...and was down a bit UNTIL EASTER HIT, and my mother-in-law's eggplant parmigiana and ricotta pie. Thank GOODNESS there isn't another 'eating' holiday until July 4!!!

For me...I find that if I am REALLY good w/ my CM"s (which are never the problem) and eat a reasonably sized RM (I'm like Twocats..I can eat ALOT at RM...which is where most of my calories come from)...then I can see some slow progress, maybe 1/2lb every couple of days...

that's my goal now that Easter has passed: at the beginning of the week, I map out my exercise for the week, and commit myself to 5-6x/week, including tennis, walking and some weights. That will really get the metabolic fire going, and I expect to see some real results too.

good luck!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-05, 10:05

Plan: CALP
Stats: 140/125/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hi everyone - seems everyone has gathered on this thread!

I am doing okay, but lately I went off plan big time - can't really pinpoint why, but now I am back on track again!

I have to exercise in order to lose weight. CM - usually small for me and typically it is a breakfast-time meal. RM - usually a BIG meal as well. Most of my calories and carbs are concentrated in it. I might have a small snack in the evening too, i.e. another CM.

Low-carbing has taught me to really love my veggies and fruits and low-carb desserty-type things. I used to live off bread, sugary muffins and yogurt and some meat and ate very few veggies and forget salad. LOL Wow! Nowadays I LOVE salad and all kinds of veggies and typically I do get enough protein as well. I feel a lot healthier. I've tried Atkins but find it too restrictive and boring to stick to long term. I like CALP - the framework of this diet is much more flexible, especially when visiting friends or dining out. At home, I mostly choose to eat low-carb and I tend to skip rice and pasta (except for Dreamfields occasionally), but I like potato and I like yams and other starchy vegetables, so I eat 'em! I also like raw carrots. This is a livable diet and what surprises me is that it is such a well-kept secret. It's a wonder more people are not doing it.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-05, 11:39

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 185/169/163 Female 5'2"
BF:45%/39%/29%
Progress: 73%

That suprises me too, Sue...sometimes I wonder if we should sneak over to the other boards and try to make some converts out of people who are having trouble with Atkins!