Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#451   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-06, 19:44

Plan: PSMF (from Veg Atkins)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:BMI 41.8/29.6/23.5
Progress: 73%

Why are we so quiet these days? I miss the days of having to come on here and check the new messages AT LEAST once a day! It has been 11 days.... how is everyone doing?

I have been doing good the last little while but then lost it for a few days. I am planning on starting up tomorrow morning. It is difficult to do a veg, low cal, low carb thing when you are eating dinner out with friends etc. When I was eating alone over winter, it was easier... I could eat "weird" food without feeling like I was being difficult. Now, I order salad or a stirfry and I try not to eat the rice. But I know that the sauce probably has sugar in it. I figure that it is better than ordering pasta or pizza or something like that!

I hope all of you are doing well with your unique challenges... let's keep up the posts!! I miss you guys! LOL
Sponsored Links
  #452   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-06, 20:56

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

As I am just doing flexible dieting now to maintain I haven't been posting here..but glad to see you are keeping it up PB girl..not long until you are in the 100's.
  #453   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-06, 18:44
Registered Member

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 265/201.6/135 Female 5' 7.5"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Haven't had a chance to read the 30+ pages of posts, but I'm new here and just wanted to say hello!

#454   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-06, 18:47

Hello! I see you have listed PSMF...how long have you been doing it, and which version?
  #455   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-06, 07:37
Registered Member

BF:

I'm not specific to one brand of products, but like to just mix things up myself. I average about 500-700 calories per day and have been staying under 60 grams of carbs.
  #456   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-06, 16:49

Just wondering, as most of us did/do the PSMF from Lyle Macdonald's Rapid Fat Loss booklet. Sounds like you are going well.
  #457   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-06, 18:56
Registered Member

BF:

Never heard of Lyle Macdonald's Rapid Fat Loss booklet. Where did you find it?
  #458   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-06, 22:25

www.bodyrecomposition.com

It is a protein sparing modified fast (PSMF) but with whole foods and carbs are probably lower than 60g because they only come from low GI veg. Calories are generally well under 900 a day. Mine were around 750. Are you using a liquid version??

This thread was started by folks doing this particular diet..if you go back and read through you will see that. Most of us have either lost the weight we needed to, or have moved on for other reasons and there are just a couple left. I am doing a more flexible version and have increased the calories for maintenance. I used it to shed the final 20 odd pounds that I was stuck with doing Atkins.
  #459   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-06, 17:46
Registered Member

BF:

I mainly use whole foods for my PSMF but utilize shakes/bars from a couple of OTC brands on occasion for convenience at work.

Thanks for the reply. Too bad there aren't many left :-(
  #460   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-06, 17:59

Well good luck with it...wondering if you need to drop calories drastically at your weight levels...perhaps you just need to keep a big deficit from maintenance level. Some people virtually starve themselves doing this when they don't need to, and thyroid tends to drop. I only had to get below below 900 calories to get my last 20 lbs off. Even then after 6 weeks I needed to do one carb-up for a few hours to restore thyroid levels.

Having said that though, I do know that some people simply do not lose weight unless they do keep calories very low, regardless. So for them the PSMF is the only way to lose at all. Our individual bodies are sure different!

What has happened for me is that metabolically I began to heal when I got the fat off and more muscle on from resistance exercise...lean tissue has a different metabolic rate. So now I can eat more calories and carbs and maintain at the weight I'm at.
  #461   ^
Old Sat, Aug-19-06, 20:44
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALEWIS
... wondering if you need to drop calories drastically at your weight levels...perhaps you just need to keep a big deficit from maintenance level ...

Actually, I was wondering that myself. I have been losing an average of 3-4 lbs per week and don't want to mess with that, but I do want to become more physically active so I'm contemplating the M/E plan and upping my calories to 1000.
  #462   ^
Old Wed, Sep-20-06, 22:24

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

could somebody breifly summarize the PSMF plan by lyle? From what i am gathering it is around 800 cals, lean protein and low GI veggies..what more is there on this diet? Do you keep protein within a certain gram range? Do you keep fat under a certain amt of grams? Do you eat any dairy products, fruits, nuts? how bout eggs? Please someone give a brief synopis..i would appreciate it..thanks.
  #463   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 17:37

It doesn't cost much to buy the book, as well worth it.. the protein needed depends on your lean body percentage, but as a rule of thumb, just keep carbs to low GI veg and a bit of no fat dairy, minimize all fat intake, and the rest is protein up to 900 calories. Please read my previous remarks about not needing to go to this low level of calories at your beginning weight levels..I had to because I had stalled at 160 lbs for more than a year.
  #464   ^
Old Sun, Oct-29-06, 00:58

Plan: psmf
Stats: 171/171/110 Female 64 inches
BF:40%
Progress: 0%
Default Okay, so it's time to start the PSMF thing

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and I am ready to lose this weight. Currently, I am 170 and am hoping to be back to 110 by April 2007. Do you think this is doable on the PSMF.

I'm 5'4" and not super active (I work alot and have a stressful job... but who doesn't right) anyway, I'm ready to do this and thought you guys would have the best info on if I can get there from here
  #465   ^
Old Sun, Oct-29-06, 03:33

Well it all depends on how easily you can lose weight normally. 60 lbs is quite a lot to lose, and PSMF is not easy to sustain for months on end as it is pretty rigid. First you must get Lyle Macdonald's book Tapid Fat Loss, available from Amazon and read it several times.

It took me a few years to lose 60 lbs...I did it by low carbing to start with, and then when I plateaued forever, I did PSMF to lose the final 20. But I also added in a lot of exercise.