Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 04:31
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/155/155 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 100%
Question heavy cream vs half n half

i have an issue with cream. if its in my house, i am tempted to make that chocolate whipped cream stuff. you know the stuff with cocoa, and splenda, whipped until nice and fluffy.. well, im addicted to it, so i just dont keep cream in the house. well. i drink about 2 cups of coffe in the morning, and i have been using half n half. is this bad? can i continue to use this instead of heavy cream?
any thoughts are appreciated.
thanks
dawn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 04:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/132/119 Female 5'2"
BF:48%/a lot/16%
Progress: 88%

Half and half, as the name says, is 50% milk. Since milk is not allowed on Atkins, yes, it is illegal.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 05:20

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%

I have been using half and half instead of cream on the recommendation of 2 guys I know who have been on Atkins for over a year. THe difference carb wise is about .1 and the difference calorie wise is one half the calories. I do not know the official word but I do know it had no effect on my weight loss. I for one cant figure out how cheese is allowed when it is made from milk. If you are eating a lot of cream as a treat I would cut back since that was a killer to my loss when I was doing it.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 06:25
Registered Member

Cheese does not contain the amount of lactose milk does.

It is an individual thing, but if I have any milk or other kinds of sugar, I don't lose at all. One bite of salad dressing that has trace sugar ruins a whole week for me...
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 07:15

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Personally, I think it all boils down to "how much" cream, 1/2 & 1/2 or cheese (or any dairy product) you consume that can be adverse to your WOE.

I use 1/2 & 1/2 in my coffee in the morning...less than 2 oz....and do not use cream for making desserts...I have decided to get rid of that habit of having to have a dessert and it has proven successful for me.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 07:36

Plan: Atkins-Maintenance
Stats: 122/109/110 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 108%

I debated this when I first started Atkins. I didn't like the way heavy cream tasted w/coffee, so I switched to Half & Half. I limited to 2-4 tbsp though. I'm not doing induction anymore and I eat a lot of the stuff that is not on Atkins list, like using Coffeemate instead of Half & Half. These changes don't seem to affect weight loss though, I guess it's different for everyone.

happy low carbing

Last edited by rose7 : Thu, Aug-21-03 at 08:02.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 11:20

Stats: 141.5/119/105 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default I use 1/2 & 1/2

I use fat free non-dairy 1/2 & 1/2 because:
1. it tastes better
2. less than 1 carb per ounce (I use 1-2 oz a day)
3. its 1/2 the price
4. the "non dairy" has no milk
5. very few calories
I'm still basically doing induction and no problems
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 11:29

Plan: syndromeX
Stats: 231/220/150 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 14%

In my opinion, I think it's like most things, YMMV (Your milage may vary). I use 1/2 and 1/2 because I'm like another member and don't like how cream tastes in milk. I don't use heavy cream at all and only use a little 1/2 and 1/2 in the morning.

It doesn't appear as if it's hurt anyones stats really by doing this, either. But, again, you never know. some people's bodies may be sensitive to it.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 11:43
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by solamander
I use fat free non-dairy 1/2 & 1/2 because:
1. it tastes better
2. less than 1 carb per ounce (I use 1-2 oz a day)
3. its 1/2 the price
4. the "non dairy" has no milk
5. very few calories
I'm still basically doing induction and no problems

hi there,

This sounds interesting. What brand do you use? Is it a soy milk product (like "Silk")???

Most liquid non-dairy creamers have 2g carbs per ½ oz serving.

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 11:52
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%

I use half 'n' half because it is readily available everywhere they serve coffee. My life on this WOE is complicated enough sometimes; at least "coffee, cream, no sugar" is a simple request.

The other reason is that the only heavy cream I can find in my supermarket is whipping cream and it has junk added to it (I assume to improve its whippability). I don't want that junk in my coffee.

-- Disclaimer: Yes, I have read the entire Atkins book recently, but my memory is not perfect: --
Isn't milk okay in later stages of Atkins, as long as you are on a high enough carb limit to "afford" it? I thought was only banned during Induction and not out-and-out illegal.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 12:03
Registered Member

I never read Atkins for Life, but on DANDR, I believe milk is listed together with "very once in a while" foods, such as sugar, white rice, and white flour, not with the foods you can regularly consume during maintenance, like potatoes.

If you ever read DADR, he literally rants about milk... it is a fun read.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 12:05
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

IMO, half 'n half is fine when you're only using a bit in your coffee. As fairchild pointed out, the carb difference is negligible when you're using such a small amount. As long as you're counting the carbs, it shouldn't be a big problem.

The concern might be if you're making a recipe that calls for a larger volume. In addition, half 'n half won't always give the same result in cooking, and you might end up disappointed with a ruined recipe.

I used to use a lot of heavy cream in my coffee. After a while, it dawned on me that the reason was my coffee tasted really raunchy with nothing in it. Solution? I switched brands of coffee ... no more raunch .. and no more cream Now I enjoy it black!

Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 12:22
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%

LOL Doreen! I know exactly what you mean.

JV1311, DANDR is the one I read and I just read it a month ago! I must really be slipping in my old age. I'll go home and look for that passage. Maybe I blocked it out because I'm such a dairy lover. Thanks for the info.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 12:44

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I use both. Half and half has half the carbs per serving that whip cream has. And the bonus is that Costco carries both with half the cost from the grocery stores! Like someone here said, your mileage will vary. See how your body handles it. I've lost 31 pounds as of Monday and the half and half hasn't stalled me.

Here is something from atkins.com:

Can I drink milk when doing Atkins?
Milk is not permitted because it contains too many carbohydrates, including lactose, a natural sugar. If you're craving milk, try diluting heavy cream or half-and-half with water, as a substitute. Although cream is almost 100 percent fat, it does contain some lactose, so most people need to limit their intake to a maximum of 4 ounces daily to lose weight. (Be sure to count the carbs.) If you're not losing weight as quickly as you'd like, limit cream intake to no more than 2 ounces daily.

Annie-Pie

Last edited by Annie-Pie : Thu, Aug-21-03 at 12:46.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 12:47

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Well it depends on how much half and half your using. I've seem some people have a little coffee with their cream.. I only use 1 tbs of half and half per cup , so I've always used that in my one morning cup.