Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 15:48
Leeloo Wannabe

Plan: Maint./Low GI (good carb)
Stats: 143/135/135 Female 5'8"
BF:25.6%/21.9%/>20%
Progress: 100%
Default Hello from a new Maintainer!

Hi everyone! I haven't posted on the Maintenance Club board before, and I do notice it isn't as active as some of the other boards, but maybe it's because there are a lot like me who poke their head in, and out again. I thought it's the least I could do to actually post and say HI!

I have been LCing since July, however I only wanted to lose approximately 10-15 lbs. I did a strict Atkins induction, but didn't lose a tremendous amount of weight, but felt a whole lot better and that's worth it in itself. I'm pretty much at goal (I adjusted my goal so that it matched where I was at, because I'm at a good weight and now just want to work on toning up and getting rid of some of the lingering bulges

Would it have been just as good for me to have started on Maintenance, or do people always have to go through an induction phase?

I want to do BFL again because I like the routine of the workouts, but I'm worried about a LC BFL. I've printed off Nat's tips for doing a LC BFL but I don't know if I can do it...it seems so much harder than a strict by-the-book BFL. I am afraid of eating too many carbs now though (don't want those headaches to come back), so I'll give it a try and see how I do.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi to y'all!

Is there anyone else out there who doesn't usually post to the Mainenance Club board, just comes in and out? If so, say hi and let's see how active we can make this board!!!

Lily
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 23:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hi Lily, I too just found this club a week or so ago, it sure would be nice to see more action here

I tend to check it about every 2nd day, but find I still spend most of my time in the main threads.

Congrats on your weight loss, what sort of carb level are you at now?
I'm anywhere from 20 to 50 and able to maintain. I strongly feel working in a wider range of foods is wise, but the key is "controlling" the servings and daily choices.

Cheers Kathy
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 06:19

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi Lily! The book Atkin for Life says that you can start at a maintenance level and then start reducing carbs until you reach a pace of weight loss that you're comfortable with. But there's certainly nothing wrong with starting at induction. The nice thing about induction is it makes your first losses usually pretty big (even if they are mainly water) so you feel enthusiastic about your progress.

I also wish that this forum was more active, but I think people tend to post in other forums because a lot of times the question or comment relates to lots of people, not just those who are already at their goal. Kathy, you can subscribe to a forum and the website will send you email once a day telling you which threads have new posts. If there was nothing new it won't email you that day.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 07:08
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi ladies! Welcome to the club!

I'm in and out of the maintenance club - I just check the main page to see if there are new posts.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 07:11
Alan Rickman Addict

Stats: 220/139/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 125%

Hi, Lily. Just hit goal myself, but never thought about posting over here.
I am with you on the toning and tightening. That's my big focus now.

Congrats on being a maintainer!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 07:13
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hey Seto! Welcome aboard!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 07:17
Alan Rickman Addict

BF:

Thanks, Kristine!!

I figure I got the navel ring and I don't want to mess it up. Next is the tattoo.

#8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 11:59
Leeloo Wannabe

Default Hi all!

Thanks for the welcome! I find all the differnent topic groups interesting, I like to hop in and out and see what people are doing and what new "news" is out there. I like learning about the different LC WOL's.

Sarah, thanks for the info on the Atkins for Life book. I am very negligent because I *DO* have it at home, just haven't read it yet. I will read it and see how I can refine my habits and get even better!

Kathy, I'm not really sure what my carb levels are at daily, I would probably say they're around 30, but some days I think they're more, some days less. I think I need to keep them over 30 though because I'm working out more now. I don't want to deplete my muscles!

It was good hearing from you all! It's awesome knowing this is my way of life now, not a "diet"!

Lily
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 19:32

BF:

Hey look at the action on this site! LOL
I'm just really looking forward to conversing with others who have reached their and and truely excepted this as a way of life, and don't feel deprived of things.
Seto OMG you have done so well!!
Nice to see you here Kristine!
Right Sarah I should make use of those options, 8>)

Cheers all, Kathy
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 20:57
Registered Member

Stats: 157/139.2/126.8 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:no idea!
Progress: 59%

Hi all,

I haven't reached my goal yet, have about 14lbs still to go.

But just thought I'd say that I do check the Maintenance section occasionally, in order to start 'gathering information' ready for the day when I finally do meet my goal!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 15:37
Leeloo Wannabe

Default Wee Heeeeee....

There is lots of action going on here! I love it! Seto, I just checked out your personal homepage! WOW, that's awesome! I'd love to do a real homepage, but (a) I don't ever seem to have extra time (b) I have NO idea how!! LOL!! I guess (b) really comes before (a) since if I don't even know how, it wouldn't matter if I had the time!! I have some pictures posted on webshots page, but it is only a couple of albums of my vacations and it doesn't really have a homepage.

Do you find that when you're in maintenance you don't think about using Fitday as often as before? I keep forgetting to enter my weekend foods in there. I was OBSESSED with fitday before. I have to be more consciencious about it otherwise maintenance is going to backfire on me and I might let myself get sloppy with my foods.

I bought a really rich, dark, fibrous bread at the market on the weekend. There aren't any carb counts, and I know it isn't technically "LC" bread, but I'm trying to introduce more real whole grains to my diet (it's hard with the LC mindset), so as long as their fiber laden I think that's good right? I used to love oatmeal and cereals as well and wish I could start eating corn flakes again, but those days are long gone (sniff). I know I could add steel-cut oats back because when I was doing BFL that was my breakfast staple (along with cottage cheese blended with strawberries and splenda), but I really want the CRUNCH so soft oatmeal won't cut it I don't think.

Do any of you make your own oatmeal? I have bought flax-o-meal's cherry nutrageous and absolutely love it, but SHEESH it's expensive!

Lily
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 19:12

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hey everyone, glad to see activity here! Lily, I used to use Fitday religiously but I got really tired of having to measure and enter every bite into my mouth. I didn't like to be so preoccupied with food so I gave up Fitday and feel much better.

I am doing BFL now and have been eating a slice of whole grain bread most days. I look for the ones called "prairie" or "7 seed" or something like that. I haven't made oatmeal yet but I do make my own granola with oats, flax seeds and nuts. Have it with my yogurt for breakfast. That might work if you want something crunchy, I could post the recipe if you want.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 23:58

BF:

My favorite breakfast right now is:

Flax meal/oat porridge

4 Tbsp of ground flax meal

2-3 Tbsp of regular oatmeal

1-2 Tbsp of cream cheese

1 Tbsp of N/S jam

In a deep ceral bowl add
Water to cover past about 1/4 inch.

Microwave on about 6 of a full powered Microwave, for 2 mins 30 seconds.

Stir.

You can add finely chopped nuts, such as hazel or almonds, prior to cooking. Or berries after cooking. If you must you can use no sugar syrup to sweeten.

Play with it to get it at the texture you like. I eat this and a protein shake about 2 mornings a week for a fast filling breakfast.

Cheers Kathy
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 07:22
Alan Rickman Addict

BF:

Thanks, Lily!!! One day I'll actually learn to make a web page instead of using the templates or making my husband do it. LOL
I've found that I'm not keeping as close tabs on everything as I was. Trying to get back to that now!! My biggest struggle is upping the carbs and lowering the fat a bit. I prefer leaner cuts of meat, but I LOVE chicken thighs w/ the crispy skin.

What I've used for Oatmeal is 2 TBS of Flax meal, enough water to get it to the consitancy you like, then sweetner (Syrup or granual), butter and cinnamon to taste. Nuke it for 2 minutes, add a few almonds and it's done!!! (It's good when I have to be up early and I'm too lazy to actually cook something. LOL)

Sarah,
That granola sounds wonderful!! (i've been missing that with yogurt and blackberries. ) I would love to get the recipe if you have time to post it!

I bought some Ezekal (sp) bread last week. I'm kind of hesitant to try it, but it's gotta be better than the dinky little Atkins bread slices.

Kathy, I'm definately going to try that recipe! It sounds delishious!!

Have a great day, Maintainers!!!!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 08:16
Leeloo Wannabe

Hi again!

Sarah! I would love that granola recipe! Thanks very much! I can't wait to try it, I'm just DYING for some crunchy stuff! Thanks for the tip on types of bread to keep my eyes out for. I used to love one called "squirrely" it was so seedy, but I think it also has honey and/or molasses. DANG!

Mmm, Kathy, your oatmeal sounds really good too. I love that you put jam and cream cheese in it. I'll bet it's very cheesecake-like (crust and all - from the flax and oatmeal!) I've got to give that a try. Now that you're on BFL, do you count your carbs or just make choices based on your knowledge of what things are low-carb, sugar-free and what things are low (or is it high that's better) on the glycemic index?

Seto, OMG, I totally hear you on not wanting to lower the fat now. I love cooking in butter and oil (not spray Pam like I'd always done before) and adding cream and cheese to recipes. OMG and i'm a HUGE fan of skin on meat. I know I should find it disgusting, even hubby hates the skin, but secretly I love it. I even enjoy the fattier parts of red meat. OMG, I'm really bad and can't believe I'm admitting it! DH will cut all his fat off, and so do I, but I "accidentally" leave some on and cut a bit of it with a bite of meat. LOL! It's truly amazing how wonderful full fat sour cream tastes. When I ate fat-free sour cream I thought there really was no difference, now, going back to the REAL DEAL - it's so much better. Same with mayo! I think I'm spoiled now and would have such a hard time lowering the fat in order to eat more carbs. Can we just keep the carbs low and keep eating the extra fats or does Dr. A. insist we move through to maintenance and lower fat and increase carbs?

Have a great day!
Lily