Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-19, 12:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I think I'm less of a food snob now on Atkins, having come from every other WOE under the sun. I shoot for excellence, not perfection. I've always gravitated toward whole, natural foods but now will allow myself an indulgence such as sugar-free gelatin or Carb Smart ice cream to help me stay on track with all the rest of it. Also, I'm much more comfortable about eating out at restaurants like Arby's and KFC with my husband. I know what and how to eat there and am here to tell about it!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-19, 19:54

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Im trying to figure out how to increase the good stuff!! Pay now or pay later.....
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-19, 21:39

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I no longer eat petit fours or ladyfingers with my little finger sticking out LOL
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-19, 07:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I no longer eat petit fours or ladyfingers with my little finger sticking out LOL

#50   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-19, 08:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Im trying to figure out how to increase the good stuff!! Pay now or pay later.....

Do you or have you ever read Mark Sisson's blog, Mark's Daily Apple; or his book, The Primal Blueprint? He's an excellent read. It's thanks to him that I've become comfortable and confident with making the best food choices I can but not sweating the small stuff. I can't afford all organic and grass-fed and pasture-raised foods so there's a spectrum of priorities that I follow.

I think I got it from something he wrote, and it's a paraphrase, that I should aim for excellence, not perfection. I incorporate a lot of his recommendations and principles in my way of eating and way of life and do the best I can.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-19, 10:30

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
Do you or have you ever read Mark Sisson's blog, Mark's Daily Apple; or his book, The Primal Blueprint? He's an excellent read. It's thanks to him that I've become comfortable and confident with making the best food choices I can but not sweating the small stuff. I can't afford all organic and grass-fed and pasture-raised foods so there's a spectrum of priorities that I follow.

I think I got it from something he wrote, and it's a paraphrase, that I should aim for excellence, not perfection. I incorporate a lot of his recommendations and principles in my way of eating and way of life and do the best I can.

Seconded! I love his common sense approach and basically, I am Primal as well as all my other things
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-19, 11:01

BF:

My goal is to grow most of what we need, as that is the only way to be sure it is pesticide/herbicide free. More importantly, IMHO, it is the meats and fats that are the most problematic.

Grassfed meats are nearly a good sub for vegies. Meats concentrate the vit A and vit C into the meat/fat as well as most other nutrients found in vegies. ( Not all) though). However the omega 3's are far too low in our diet because of the very high omega 6's in the grain fed meats( the fat) and most of the oils typically used.

WOrking on changing one thing at a time.
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-19, 11:08

BF:

Had forgotten about Marks Daily Apple!!

Here's a timely blog post from Marks Daily Apple.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/hadza-honey/

I too look to the old ways of eating..... trying to dump the grains. Dump the pesticides/herbicides. Soak and rinse the dried beans several times; eat more fermented foods......

It is a process to change from SAD to Atkins to primal......
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-19, 11:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Seconded! I love his common sense approach and basically, I am Primal as well as all my other things

Ditto!
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-19, 11:16

BF:

Arielle, I came to Atkins from primal because I needed more structure, but it's easy to do Atkins in a primal way. They're very compatible.

Good article by Mark as usual!

Last edited by barb712 : Wed, Feb-13-19 at 11:23.
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-19, 07:54

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Even though I don't do organics because of the $$$ involved, I'm sure most people I know would consider me to be a food snob, simply because I don't eat the carby stuff they're scarfing down, since they consider carbs to be normal food, and the meat, cheese, eggs, etc that I eat to be expensive. I can't imagine the eye-rolls I'd get if I insisted on organic as much as possible too.

Despite what I consider to be some luxury food expenditures for myself (such as unsweetened cocoa powder and unsweetened baking chocolate from a local chocolate company, as well as little spice sized bottles of pure stevia powder), and switching to other foods which naturally cost more (using real butter instead of cheap margarine), I spend less now on food for myself than I did back when I was eating high carb, despite the increased cost of food in general since I went back to LC about 15 years ago. This is simply because now a reasonable amount of LC food satisfies me for several hours, whereas on high carb, I'd eat a lot more at one sitting, and be starving again an hour or two later, so then I'd eat huge amounts again, rinse and repeat all day long, every single day.