Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 20:04

Plan: Atkins, The Zone
Stats: 152/140/126 Female 65
BF:24%/22%/18%
Progress:
Question Atkins to Zone due to liver problems-has anyone experienced same problems

hello-I'm new to the group. I was on atkins for about 3 months (last 2 months TOTAL platuae) which was frustrating esp b/c I never cheated. Further, my fatique was so severe I was barely able to do my 5 mile runs 4xs a week - I was down to once.

I did alot of research re: similar problems and Atkins and found out your liver just can't handle the high protein if it is damaged, however, no solid data. I would assume this is the reason I stopped losing weight after 12 lbs. or maybe not. I'm curious if anyone has experienced similar problems with Atkins OR Zone or if anyone can point me to some information regarding this scenario. I'm hoping the balance of carbs/protein/fat will ofset the impact of "all" protein on my liver.

I switched to the Zone-QUITE apprehensively as I was terrified of gaining back weight, 3 days ago...Atkins made me feel trapped. I seemed to have stayed the same (I refuse to weigh myself for a few days) but I have also not had any complex carbs in my blocks. I feel much better, but I'm hungry-really hungry every 2 hours... it starts almost an hour after I eat. Any tips on the transition process-I noticed there were a few postings but none addressing the hunger and/or if anyone had any significant weight gain. How long will it be until I begin to lose any weight? I tried to find a transition plan but with no luck.
thanks
tess

Any input would be appreciated...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 13:29

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 200/190/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Not an expert but I've personally found the Protein Power Plan is less restrictive than Atkins and the book explains in more detail what causes different side effects including the liver.

I started on Atkins for a week, then switched to P-Plan. My energy is back & I can eat more carbs on this plan. I'm never hungry unless I just don't eat which is my fault!
Go to your local library and borrow as many low carb books as you can then read up on several before spending the $$ on a book you won't use. Only your body can tell you which ones right for you. Good luck on your quest and HTH Lynne
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 17:33
Contributing Member

Plan: Zone
Stats: 150/142/136 Female 5' 5.5"
BF:30%/26%/23%
Progress: 57%

I switched from Atkins back to the Zone because I didn't feel well on Atkins---and I never did get into ketosis----at least according to the strips. I found that the Zone works much better for me. Don't know much about the problems someone with liver damage might have. I'd be checkin' in with a physician for sure. Good luck to you!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 14:10

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%

First, I want to say that I concur with wha Shalizbet wrote about seeing a physician. You do not want to mess around with your liver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess65
found out your liver just can't handle the high protein if it is damaged, however, no solid data.
I can certainly provide you with scientific data on that note, if you'd like. Just not at the moment. Compromised livers and high protein are not a good combination. The Zone is not high protein. I would need to research one of my nutritional science books to get you specific data.
Quote:
but I'm hungry-really hungry every 2 hours... it starts almost an hour after I eat.
That should not be happening AT ALL. During the transition, you may not notice anything on the scale, or it may even go up, but you should never be hungry ( ie; you are not doing something right). Post a day or two worth of menus you're eating, including the time you eat and your waking and bedtime hours. There are several people here who can help.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 14:56
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Tess:

I feel a little strange posting b/c I'm not on The Zone. I'm not trying to sway you to another plan, but you might want to read The Schwarzbein Principle II (not I), written by an Endocrinologist, to help you understand your problem. I probably wouldn't do it much justice in one post, it is such a complex issue. But it may not be your liver, but your adrenal glands causing your symptoms. Dr. Schwarzbein discusses the complex interplay between insulin, adrenaline and cortisol which are the 3 major hormones in the body. When one is restricted (insulin), the others increase. The idea is to have your major hormones in balance, neither too high or too low. The hunger could be from your adrenals shutting down to repair.

Dr. S. recommends that you increase carbs by 5 grams/meal/week if coming off a low carb diet until you reach you carb limit. I wonder if the same rule would apply switching from Atkins to The Zone (since The Zone and SPII are moderate carb plans).

Good luck with The Zone and hope you feel better soon.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Sun, Aug-10-03 at 15:08.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 20:19
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I am following Atkins right now, and have been for 4 months. I just wanted to point out one of the problems could of been Atkins is NOT a high protien diet. It's a higher fat diet. In induction you should be getting 70% of your calories from fat. Consuming a large amount of protien while on Atkins and not sufficient fat can cause weight loss stalls.

Atkins and the Zone would have around the same amounts of protien, both based on your lbm. I have had success with Atkins, but now I find that in trying to add back in carbs I am having a rough time spreading them through out the day. I would also like to reduce my calorie intake easier.

I am thinking of moving to a modified Zone program I read about in the Mastering the Zone book. Basicaly you remove 1 block of carbs form each meal and add 1 block of fat. Even doing that it would about double the amount of carbs I am having now. I think though following Zone recipes would make it easier to throw together meals that can stretch carbs through day, and help with planning.

I'll reread the Zone book before deciding for sure I think.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 09:33
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I just wanted to make an edit.

On Atkins induction you have 70% fat, 25% protien, and 5% carb. So if you are eating an equal number of claories, you would be actually having les sprotien on Atkins then the zone. I think most people would eat the same amount of protien and just have a little lower overall calories because of the lowered fat, unless they were watching calories on Atkins already.

I know Zone isn't calorie restricted, but with the lower fat amounts most people would be eating less calories naturally.