Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 16:04
Contributing Member

Plan: CKD - TKD
Stats: 270/265/240 Male 70 in
BF:
Progress: 17%
Red face sorry, another zone question...

i was curious if anyone knows,.... i know that ketosis is the main factor in losing weight on a LC diet/WOE, but what is the main factor for weight loss on a zone diet ? i haven't found any scientific info about the zone diet, i've read so much on it but nothing pertaining to this.....TIA
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 20:29

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoOPUS
i was curious if anyone knows,.... i know that ketosis is the main factor in losing weight on a LC diet/WOE, but what is the main factor for weight loss on a zone diet ? i haven't found any scientific info about the zone diet, i've read so much on it but nothing pertaining to this.....TIA

High protein and high fat diets results in ketosis. Following the Zone correctly will not result in ketosis. The food ratios of proteins, carbs and fats prevent any possibility of ketosis. Ketosis is the initial goal of those on the Atkins diet and other low carbohydrate WOE. Very low carbohydrate, unbalanced diets are responsible for much of the concern about potential medical problems related to a steady diet high in protein and fat, and very low in carbs. The Zone ensures proper macronutrient balance, which contributes to the prevention of many medical conditions that plague Americans today.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 21:37
Contributing Member

Plan: CKD - TKD
Stats: 270/265/240 Male 70 in
BF:
Progress: 17%

Thanks for your reply, Zonecoach...
I was wanting to see if there was an underlying process like that of LC diets. So on this plan, the driving force for weight loss is coming from the balanced diet with exercise and an emphasis on a lower carb intake than that of an unplanned regime of eating. I wanted to see if there was anything else going on behind the scenes. So lower carbs equals lower insulin response and thus less of a fat storage affect. I've been LCing for awhile now and it helps greatly to curb my appetite. Is there any appetite suppression on the Zone diet?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 17:48
Contributing Member

Stats: 150/142/136 Female 5' 5.5"
BF:30%/26%/23%
Progress: 57%

Hi, just jumping in here in response to a coupla your questions.
First: in the first Zone book there is a lot of science related to substances called econosoids which come in the good guy/bad buy forms within your body. Staying in the Zone gives you the benefits of the good and diminishes the production of the bad. This is a major simplification. If you're really interested, you can get quite in-depth stuff on the underlying principles by getting into the book (I originally found a copy at the library), and I found that understanding it was motivating to me.

As for appetite suppression: Yes, if you're following the Zone properly you shouldn't be hungry----except at absolutely appropriate times. Although you should actually be eating before the hunger arrives. It does serve as a nice little warning, though, if you've gotten into something and just forgotten about fueling your body. I believe the hunger suppression comes from keeping blood sugar levels absolutely even----a steady supply of properly metabolized protein, carbs, and fat.

Best to ya!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 14:00

Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoOPUS
Thanks for your reply, Zonecoach...
Is there any appetite suppression on the Zone diet?

It shouldn't be needed, if you're eating properly and "on time". One should never be hungry when follow the Zone woe.