Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 15:12

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 285/275/135 Female 5'3"
BF:baby's got back
Progress: 7%
Arrow Heart Rate

I was just going through Mastering The Zone and read about exercising for longer periods of time at a lower heart rate (below 70%). I currently circuit train (Curves) for 30 minutes 5x a week and then walk the treadmill for an hour (between 2.5 - 3.0m/h) 5x a week. I've actually gained so much weight last year that I had to work my way to this point - however, I won't complain since it is in the right direction. I also do yoga once a week.

Ok my question is - do I slow up my pace and workout in the 60% range or 50%..or? Dr. Sears didn't specify, from what I read, how much below 70% we should workout in. I have a heart rate monitor on with all of the above except yoga and I am about 70% with my treadmill and fluctuate at Curves depending on what machine I am on - although I work at recovering in between machines - even if that means standing still.

I am obese, take no medications - however the doctor told me recently after a blood test I was headed towards insulin resistence due to the following:

triglycerides: 246
Cholesterol: 212
chol/HDLC Ratio: 4.8

I've heard that obese people should stay in the 50% range - not sure if that is true.

Any thoughts? maybe this is a question for Zone Coach?

Thanks again for all your help. Everyone has been great!

~Danielle
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 15:45

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantEven
I was just going through Mastering The Zone and read about exercising for longer periods of time at a lower heart rate (below 70%). I currently circuit train (Curves) for 30 minutes 5x a week and then walk the treadmill for an hour (between 2.5 - 3.0m/h) 5x a week. I've actually gained so much weight last year that I had to work my way to this point - however, I won't complain since it is in the right direction. I also do yoga once a week.

Too much training at once (over 45-60 minutes) can be counter productive to your goals. If you can split the time into 2X per day instead of one session, you'd probably be better off. Also, I believe Curves only recommends running their circuit 3X/week.
Quote:
Ok my question is - do I slow up my pace and workout in the 60% range or 50%..or?
60-65% of your max is a general rule of thumb.
Quote:
I am obese, take no medications - however the doctor told me recently after a blood test I was headed towards insulin resistence due to the following:
triglycerides: 246
Cholesterol: 212
chol/HDLC Ratio: 4.8

The Zone should help to improve those numbers. You may want to consider supplementing with high quality fish oil as well.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneCoach
Too much training at once (over 45-60 minutes) can be counter productive to your goals. If you can split the time into 2X per day instead of one session, you'd probably be better off.

I can split it up without a problem. I'm just curious as to why it may get me better results that way?

Quote:
Also, I believe Curves only recommends running their circuit 3X/week.

I keep getting mixed answers on that. One of the workers there told me 3x a week - another said I can go all week since it isn't intense strength training. I don't think most if any are certified fitness instructors at my Curves - so I don't know how much I should accept their advice. The first two months I attended, I went three times a week but my measurements were not improving. They said my inches went up in some places and my fat % went up( I get measured again tomorrow). However, I was on your typical ADA high carb low fat diet. Also, it is important to note that I don't work the summer and during the school year only two hours a day. So I do all this to make sure I don't sit on my ~rse. I'm transitioning out of a career and trying to go to school for massage therapy - In case anyone thought I had the best paying job in the world - LOL.

Quote:
60-65% of your max is a general rule of thumb.

I'll adjust my heart rate monitor so it beeps according to those numbers - thanks!

Quote:
The Zone should help to improve those numbers. You may want to consider supplementing with high quality fish oil as well.

I believe the Zone will help me.

I'm taking fish oil now - just wondering if they are the best ones to take. However, the pharmecutical grade may be a bit for my pocket.

~Danielle
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 14:19

Quote:
I can split it up without a problem. I'm just curious as to why it may get me better results that way?
If you have an opportunity to read Anti-Aging or Age Free Zone (same book, one was just published later than the other) by Dr. Sears, you'll learn a lot. It has to do with HGH (Human Growth Hormone), cortisol levels, etc. Too much to post here.

Quote:
I keep getting mixed answers on that. One of the workers there told me 3x a week - another said I can go all week since it isn't intense strength training. I don't think most if any are certified fitness instructors at my Curves - so I don't know how much I should accept their advice.
I can see why you'd be getting mixxed info on that. I could be on the fence with that one too, but without really seeing what YOUR workout is like, I can't say for sure. I would still be inclined to go the 3X/week route though. It is strength training nonetheless.
Quote:
I'm taking fish oil now - just wondering if they are the best ones to take. However, the pharmecutical grade may be a bit for my pocket.
Yes is can be pricey. There are many good brands out there, and if you're not taking HIGH doses, then what you find in a good health food store should be acceptable. I've done a lot of reasearch on the subject and posted a lot over in the supplements forum.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 06:53

Quote:
If you have an opportunity to read Anti-Aging or Age Free Zone (same book, one was just published later than the other) by Dr. Sears, you'll learn a lot. It has to do with HGH (Human Growth Hormone), cortisol levels, etc. Too much to post here.

I haven't read this book. I will take it out of the library. Thank you for the recommendation.

Quote:
I can see why you'd be getting mixxed info on that. I could be on the fence with that one too, but without really seeing what YOUR workout is like, I can't say for sure. I would still be inclined to go the 3X/week route though. It is strength training nonetheless.

I agree! I am cutting down to 3x a week and working the machines to get my heart rate up to a more anaerobic state. I posted a long entry about Curves in the Exercise Forum on this board about heart rate and how I feel Curves - or at least my Curves - was giving me conflicting information about how to work their circuit. I will also try and split my routine which may now become hard starting in September since I am working more hours and a split shift. I am now using Curves as strength training and my treadmill 5x p/wk for 1 hour (3.0m/hr) for aerobic activity. * For anyone interested: I'm using Leslie Sansone's "Walk Off The Pounds" DVD and Denise Austin's "Hit The Spot" book - both I really enjoy - on days I can't make either the Gym or Curves... or as a supplement on some days.

Quote:
Yes is can be pricey. There are many good brands out there, and if you're not taking HIGH doses, then what you find in a good health food store should be acceptable. I've done a lot of reasearch on the subject and posted a lot over in the supplements forum.

Thanks for the research and effort you made. It is much easier for me due to your time. I purchased the Coromega which was one of your suggestions on the Vitamin/Supp. Forum.

ZoneCoach - I am not sure if you use protein powders but I have both Whey and Soy. If you have a recipe for a Zone Friendly Protein Shake you wouldn't mind sharing that would be great. Even if you can point me in a direction where I could find some. I found one that Dr. Sears recommends A scoop (depending on grams of protein) of protein powder, 2 cups of fruit, 2tsp olive oil. I try and eat whole foods as much as possible but some days time flys.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!

~Danielle
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 23:24

Default Protein Powder / Shakes

Quote:
ZoneCoach - I am not sure if you use protein powders but I have both Whey and Soy. If you have a recipe for a Zone Friendly Protein Shake you wouldn't mind sharing that would be great. Even if you can point me in a direction where I could find some. I found one that Dr. Sears recommends A scoop (depending on grams of protein) of protein powder, 2 cups of fruit, 2tsp olive oil. I try and eat whole foods as much as possible but some days time flys.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!

~Danielle

Oh yes, I use protein powders. I am not a fan of soy (too chalky). I like the taste and "mixability" of Designer Whey, Optimum 100% Whey and Sci*Fit Whey (choc/peanut butter yumm ). I will also use EAS Lite which is an MRP and needs a little Zone tweaking.

A favorite shake is frozen strawberries, natural peanut butter, protein powder (vanilla), cooked steel cut oatmeal blended with water and ice. You'll need to work out your own Zone numbers based on your powder and desired block count.