Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-09, 11:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 194/178.0/135 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Meat and Egg Everything!!

Hey everyone,
For those of you on the M/E plan, would you mind sharing your favorite menus?? Tips? Tricks of the trade? Thoughts? Suggestions? It's almost spring and I'd love to get some more weight off asap!
For me, I lose great with this WOE but have been struggling with a bad cold (plus sick toddler) the past few weeks and need to get back on track with my weight loss. Anything you could share would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-09, 21:26

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I am not on a meat/egg fast, but I have statrted a VLC plan.

My favorites are:

1. eggs fried in butter
2. I'm a Genius Shrimp (recipe is in forum)
3. Salmon burgers with wasabi mayo
4. Fish (tilapia, cod, etc...) with aioli sauce or sauce from Genius shrimp
5. Swordfish on the BBQ when I visit my parents!!!
6. Shrimp cocktail
7. Crab with butter
8. Egg salad
9. Deviled eggs

Good luck! I have found this to be a GREAT way to shed the pounds.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 07:47

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 168/110/115 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

Any good cut of beef is delicious, I melt the fat in the pan and then cook the steak in the grease. I used to always make scrambled eggs with my steak as a side dish. A good steak really does not need a recipe, it stands strong on its own.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 08:50
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

I'm not on M/E - but a good, inexpensive 'meal' is to make some salmon or tuna patties/burgers.

Just mix up a large-ish can of Wild Alaska salmon (14 ounce can) with one egg, carefully form into four/five 'patties' - then pan fry for at least 14 minutes per side in a frying pan (use olive oil or butter, your choice). You can make your own 'tartar' sauce too, by mixing up some mayo, dill relish (or chopped pickle), dry mustard powder and lemon juice.

There are pics in my gallery of the salmon patties.

Another good one (but a bit fussier) is the Whole Foods Turkey meatball recipe - which I found on their website. Works well for beef meatballs too. And there's no bread crumbs or anything in them. I usually buy like 5-6 pounds of either ground turkey or ground beef and make a ton of these meatballs. I don't bother pre-sauteeing them as in the recipe, just make a bunch of meatballs, put on a cookie sheet and bake in oven for half an hour at 350F. The best part? After dinner, you have tons of pre-cooked meatballs at the ready. Put some in fridge for snacks, and some in the freezer for future meals. The frozen ones can be re-heated quickly from frozen!

Here's the recipe:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/rec...p?recipeId=2070

These are good cold or hot. Dipped in a mix of mayo/spicy mustard, or just some mustard, or even just plain.

Another good thing to have on hand is a Rubbermaid devilled egg container, which I got from Wal-Mart. I have two of them now, since I like to serve devilled eggs at parties and so on:

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Se...r/dp/B000QRFOLC

Got mine at Wal-Mart Super Center for $4 something.

A crockpot might be a very good thing for you - I have used recipes from a book called "The EveryDay Low Carb Slow Cooker Cookbook" that are mostly all meat - for example - chili - involving tons of chili powder, beef broth and chuck steak. It's very good, and you don't miss the veggies or beans.

Not sure how many spices you'll want to be using - but there are some good blogs as well - Kalyn's Kitchen blog has some excellent recipes for things like Rosemary marinated roasted pork tenderloin, and things like cilantro/garlic grilled halibut etc.

I think a big part of this is going to be making sure you have lots of meat/egg dishes on hand. I usually make way more food than needed for a particular meal, with the express purpose of having lots of leftovers. I'll bake/broil 5 pounds of chicken. Or buy a 3.5 pound pork roast. That kind of thing.

Good luck
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 09:35

Plan: atkins modified
Stats: 225/162/160 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 97%

Fotunately for me, I looooove chicken. I buy the value packs of thighs or leg quarters and just bake them with seasonings. Make a couple of sides for the boyfriend, and I'm done. So easy, then I take the leftovers for lunches. I bought a McCormick seasing salt, which works great on everything from pork chops to chicken to veggies, and I sprinkle it on potatoes for roasted pots for the boyfriend. Once I can grill outside, I'll have even more options. But we've had a horrible winter here in New England, and grilling just isn't an option.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 09:46
Registered Member

Plan: cycling carbs 30 - 70 net
Stats: 185/158/130 Female 174 cm
BF:26
Progress: 49%

nothing like to start mornig with nice egg and cream omellete, with a nice salat on the side and the right spices, hmmm so yummy
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 19:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 194/178.0/135 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 27%

Oh wow, I'm getting hungry just reading these posts, everything sounds yummy!!!!
Awesome. I'm definitely going to get on that Genius Shrimp recipe tomorrow..
And the PP is right about making tons at one time...I have been slacking on dinner but tonight I made a bunch of beef stroganoff carb friendly so lunch is ready for tomorrow and just loaded up on plenty of cuts of beef at Sam's....go meat!
And my foodness, I completely forgot about egg salad...gotta go, I'm gettin' too hungry
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-09, 05:04
Registered Member

Plan: linda's website
Stats: 181.4/175.8/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Robin - thanks for all of the fish ideas! I'm always looking for something in the cabinet on Friday's during lent that I can eat because a day with no meat on LC - is a hard day
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-09, 09:19

Plan: LC since 1/15/09
Stats: 317/278/217 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aet9900
Robin - thanks for all of the fish ideas! I'm always looking for something in the cabinet on Friday's during lent that I can eat because a day with no meat on LC - is a hard day

Not if you give up lent for lent
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-21-09, 07:49

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:

I'm so glad it was helpful!

Here is another nice breakfast. Smear cream cheese on smoked salmon (can add a ring of onion or slice of tomato or capers is you like) and roll it up in a lettuce leaf .
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-22-09, 18:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/184/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:

Amen to that!! Tuna salad and cheese omlettes are my fall back if I have not planned something or do not feel like going to pick up a fresh piece of fish.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-22-09, 20:38
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Point cut beef brisket, beef sweetbreads, beef liver fried in butter, beef shortribs, lamb, corned beeef, catfish, near the gills salmon steaks, yellowfish, kipper snax, sardines, lingua (tongue), pigg's trotters, snake meat, baked 'n fried rib-eyes-- the list goes on!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=215473

Last edited by mike_d : Sun, Mar-22-09 at 20:46. Reason: LINK
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-09, 13:13

Stats: 280/188/150 Female 66"
BF:Day37=2"loss belly
Progress: 71%

Don't forget Pork Rinds for your tuna salad or egg salad! Have a huge batch of deviled eggs on hand. I could live off omelets!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-09, 14:48
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 230/220/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Isn't it hard for you guys to eat fried pig skins? Somehow I just can't get past that.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-09, 07:25

Stats: 280/188/150 Female 66"
BF:Day37=2"loss belly
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana55
Isn't it hard for you guys to eat fried pig skins? Somehow I just can't get past that.

Have you tried them? They really have little taste, just a puffy crunch, but on this WOE crunch is so hard to get. Especially if you are trying to keep your carb intake closer to zero and are limiting your veggies. It's an easy low carb chip. I'd never eat the plain all by themselves, but I do the spicy flavored and I have to admit some brands are just nasty (I like the Bakenettes brand). I love them with avocado mashed with mayo & spices.