Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-12, 10:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Welcome to this way of eating. Have you read any of his books? Atkins I mean. He says to reintroduce foods as you progress. He discounts no food group except sugar. The last foods to put back into a persons life are grains. But by then sweet potatoes root veggies have been added and there is to much negative info about wheat especially. I do have a piece of bread very occasionally. I can have 3/4 lol piece of Eziekel bread without my glucometer hacking a fit. But it's only occasionally
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Wed, May-30-12, 09:43

Plan: just starting
Stats: 164/164/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

Great thread! I'm just starting the low carb lifestyle and the thought of having to count out/measure all my food long term was depressing me. I love the idea of just cutting back/out sugars/flour/junk food and focusing on healthy foods I have 29lbs to lose and I'm going to give this a try!
  #93   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-12, 12:55

Plan: low carb but no counting!
Stats: 96/86/70 Female 166 cm
BF:
Progress: 38%

Me too, not counting, I think it is important to learn how to leave with this way of life

Although at one point I realised that I have to check the carbs because the vegetables I like have very low carbs and I may take less than 20 grams per day.
  #94   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-12, 13:32

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Counting is not really necessary as long as you are losing well. If you stall or just stop losing, the data collected while tracking can be helpful in figuring out patterns of why you stall. Hopefully, though, you won't need that. And if you do, you can start tracking then.

I started low carb with South Beach where tracking is discouraged. I lost great for about 3 months and then sort of floundered on how to get losing again. In retrospect, I wish I'd tracked. When I started Atkins, I counted religiously for the first 6 or so months, then slacked off. I do find that tracking every mouthful makes me think twice about snacks and those snacks make the difference between losing and maintaining for me.

I've just been through a stressful period where I did not track and relaxed my eating somewhat. I also gained 6 lbs. I'm now back to more normal living and will start tracking again as I try to get the 6 lbs - and more - off once and for all.
  #95   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-12, 10:58

Plan: none
Stats: 206/181/170 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

We don't count anything. We've just cut way back or out of bread, pasta, junk food. We have ham and cheese omelets for breakfast which keeps hunger away. Small lunch with Greek yogurt, nuts, lunch meat and cheese wrapped in a tortilla. Meat and veges for dinner. We started in December. My husband has lost 40 lbs, my heavy son has lost 25 lbs, I've lost 20 lbs and my skinny son has gained a couple of needed lbs.
  #96   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 06:17

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 133.4/133.4/119 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

I love this thread! Being too restrictive on any plan has not worked for me in the past, I have a real ‘all or nothing’ mentality. The last time I tried low carb I failed because I got too hung up on strict counting then went on a total binge and gave the whole thing up. So my new motto is ‘progress, not perfection’!
  #97   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 12:10
Registered Member

Plan: General LC
Stats: 215/210.2/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 6%

I don't count carbs or calories.
I have good portions of things that I can eat freely like all meats, cured meats and sausages, all fish and shellfish, all poultry, eggs, butter, olive oil, cream, all veggies.
I limit fruits and cheese (just not a big fan), nuts & seeds (I overeat them), and wine/spirits.
I avoid all processed foods, sugar, breads, rice, pasta.

I love this way of eating; it seems like 80% of the supermarket is now useless to me and grocery shopping goes very fast!
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-12, 09:57
Registered Member

Plan: own
Stats: 184/141/132 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 83%

Hey! It's great to see that this thread is still going!!

I thought I should return and let you all know how I'm doing. As you can see, I've reached my original goal. It has been slow but without "counting" it hasn't been difficult and it's now a "lifestyle" way of eating for me (as some of you have mentioned).

I am SO encouraged to see how all of you have been doing too! Just want to let you know that on those days that you feel like you've "fallen off the wagon" just get back on the next time (meal/day/week...whatever). Just don't give up!

So now that I've made my original goal of 144 (40lbs lost) it's time to lower that. I will keep in touch to let you all know how I'm doing!
  #99   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-12, 19:35

Plan: CAD
Stats: 242/189.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I am so glad to find this thread. I do need to low carb, but have no desire to count anything. I decided today that this is the way I want to do low carb, but didn't know if anyone else did it this way. Decided to come here and see what different ones were doing and I couldn't believe that there is a thread that does low carb this way. If this thread continues, I would love to be a part of it.
  #100   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-12, 19:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc_Queen
I love this thread! Being too restrictive on any plan has not worked for me in the past, I have a real ‘all or nothing’ mentality. The last time I tried low carb I failed because I got too hung up on strict counting then went on a total binge and gave the whole thing up. So my new motto is ‘progress, not perfection’!

I have found that I have the same problem with being so restricted. "Progress, not perfection" sounds great.
  #101   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-12, 08:46
Registered Member

BF:

Hey PattyAnn, Welcome!

Hope you check out my "before" and "after" pics in my profile. You will SEE what a difference this way of eating has made in my life!
  #102   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-12, 14:07

BF:

Thanks for the Welcome Jean and for sharing your before and after pics. Man you don't even look like the same person and you look great.

Do you find that since you started lowcarbing this way that you don't seem to be as hungry as you used to be? I'm wondering how much of that was caused by the restriction.

I went to breakfast with DH after church. Example Usually one of us orders a breakfast with eggs, hash browns and bacon and the other orders eggs with grits. Well, today I was going back to lowcarbing without counting, I was so excited about ordering an omlet that I forgot that I was the one who was supposed to order the grits and had to call the waitress over to order it later. I also forgot that toast automatically came with it until she brought our breakfast. So I decided to eat 1/2 a slice of toast and leave the rest. The nice thing was that I felt comfortable (no guilt) choosing to eat the 1/2 slice. He had his the grits and hash brownsthat used to share, and I didn't even think twice about eating them. Unusual for me. That is why I think removing the restrictions really helps me.
  #103   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-12, 08:16
Registered Member

BF:

Yay! Good choice on the breakfast!

That's exactly what I do. I don't think, "Oh, I can't have ANY carbs." or "I need to count this carb." I just try to make "better" choices; like your 1/2 slice of toast.

I DO think the restrictions caused me to want more. Since I feel that I can have "some" of anything, I can limit myself.

GRITS!!! I love grits! I'm originally from Alabama. My kids even like them. Hubby (a Kansas guy) won't touch them. For Christmas morning I always make a Southern breakfast: biscuits, gravy, eggs, fried salt pork, sausage, grits, tomatoes with hot bacon grease. My kids & their spouses love it all. Hubby likes everything EXCEPT the grits. Hahaha!
  #104   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-12, 11:53

BF:

That is funny. I'm originally a southern girl from TX and never cared for grits. I think because previous (now deceased) hubby always loved loads of salt and pepper on them as well as the butter. This DH is from IN and he and his family loves grits as well. Kinda made me feel funny since us southern girls are supposed to love them too. DH eats his grits like oatmeal with sugar, so now I like grits with my sweetner instead of sugar or salt and peppper.

Your southern Christmas breakfast sounds delicious.
  #105   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-12, 10:18

Plan: Atkins sort of
Stats: 215/202/140 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Can You List Your LC Favs?

Hi again, after quite a while!

I deal with compulsive overeating, so the LC goes much slower for me, but it does work and I usually feel good eating this way. I tried the HCG diet in january and, although it worked, it triggered the comp overeating so badly that I gained it all back and then some. I'm now back on the LC way of living and slowly seeing progress.

I was wondering if anyone wants to share some of their favs beyond general meat and salads. Here are a few of mine:

-Starbucks venti hot water w/4 pumps of sugar free flavour with space on top. i then add some cream. they usually only charge for the syrup.
-At home I do hot water, pure cocoa powder, stevia (Trader Joes or health food store) and a splash of cream
-decaf green tea bags (3) in a juice container with half cold/half boiling water, stevia and fresh squeezed limes. Fab ice tea.
-non-alcoholic Mojito: seltzer, fresh mint crushed (rubbed), fresh squeezed lime, stevia. Shockingly thirst quenching!
-Roll swiss and ham around a dill. Hurray for CRUNCH!
-pork rinds and pb and smidge of lc jam
-cream cheese pancakes ( http://creativekitchenadventures.co...rb-alternative/) with sugar free syrup or shredded parm instead of syrup
-WASA lowest carb/highest fiber flat bread with: pb and lettuce (grew up with this and it's delish; similar to the pb and celery idea) OR pb and tomato OR pb and a smidge of lc jam OR ham and cheese
-steamed bean sprouts in an Alfredo sauce (Suzanne Sumers does it with zucchini pealed with a pot peeler in long strips to simulate noodles) or broccoli and Alfredo sauce
-summer sausage cut in pieces each with a sf bread and butter pickle on top, a wee bit of cheddar cheese and a dab of mustard (makes a great appetizer plate)
-Eggs Benedict (poached egg, a slice of warmed ham, a bit of mustard in a glob of melted cheddar on top of the egg on ham) on a slice of tomato instead of e. muffin
-melted mozz cheese in a non-stick pan with sauteed onions and peppers and oregano (takes like pizza)