Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-10, 23:38

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Not sure I am liking HRT

My ND/MD switched some things around and now I am on Estradiol and progesterone plus Armour for my thyroid condition. I am noticing a bloating feeling, like water weight in the middle that I have never seen before. Is anyone here on HRT and have they noticed any side effect like this? Does it go away? I am not completely convinced I want to be on any of it except the Armour. Before I started the progesterone, I had no periods since last March, and now they are back, so I am really not liking that at all.

Any input greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-10, 08:29

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I've always wondered about the wisdom of taking HRT. I realize that some people just have horrible menopausal symptoms and that the HRTs have saved their sanity, but it seems the HRT just prolongs the inevitable...unless you stay on them until you die. I'm 50 and I've missed a couple of months of periods and have been having some hot flashes and funky mood stuff but I am going to try and do this the way my body was intended to function, if that makes sense. I've learned a lot about whole foods and keeping things natural on this site, so I try not to take any meds unless they are absolutely necessary - like you have to with your thyroid meds! Was your doctor concerned about your heart, is that why he/she put you on the HRT?

After seeing what "common practice" pills (i.e.; statins, antidepressants, etc...) did to my husband and others around me, I'm really trying to just stick w/ things that I know are helpful to my body and the way it's supposed to function.

I'll be curious to see how others respond. HRT does seem to be a very individual decision for sure - we all have to do what's best for our own bodies!

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-10, 09:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Some women are allergic to progesterone, that's why they get such awful PMS (I've heard). There's been a few other threads where women seem to really love it. Are you doing bio-identical hormones?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-10, 10:16

BF:

All are in pill form. I decided yesterday that I am going to find a pharmacy will will do bioidentical hormones. This ND/MD seems to think I "need" to be having a period. I am a little irked now that I have investigated this and the doctor didn't even test my hormones before putting me on this stuff. Here is an answer I got on realthyroidhelp.com and now I think I am going to insist that all my levels be tested. My FSH was almost 42 and that's why I think he put me on HRT. Here's that reply:

Now, since your periods have stopped for a few months and your FSH is so high, it's very likely you are in menopause. You may be very progesterone deficient at this point due to the fact that you've been progesterone deficient all through premenopause. It would be unlikely that you wouldn't have progesterone deficiency. Of course, I'd still recommend testing to see where you are at, but perhaps that has been done already?

Your estrogen levels may still be normal and this is not unusual for a woman recently entering menopause. However, at some point, they may drop. They only drop down to about 60% in some women, and some women, therefore, never need to supplement estrogen. However, progesterone supplementation is a good idea for them. Now, you may already know your levels here and know whether or not your ratio between progesterone and estrogen is good. If you don't, I'd suggest testing, but I suspect your doctor has already done this. What's always important with these hormones is not where they fall in the range, but the ratio between them.

Here are the various symptoms of progesterone deficiency: http://www.virginiahopkinstestkits.com/ ... nance.html

If you still have plenty of estrogen, but you're deficient in progesterone, at this point in your life, you are at a higher risk of developing breast or uterine cancer. As you probably know, we often see breast cancer and/or uterine cancer occurring in woman of premenopausal or perimenopausal age. This is because progesterone is the anti-estrogen, which turns off cell proliferation. Without sufficient progesterone, estrogen is not balanced and abnormal cell proliferation in the breasts and uterus continues. As it continues beyond a normal shut off point, mutation can easily occur, which can then lead to cancer developing. You might also want to read this if you have a history of breast cancer in your family, especially:

http://www.project-aware.org/Health/Bre ... gest.shtml

Progesterone also serves a role in keeping brain cells healthy, and deficiency has been linked to Alzheimer's Disease, in part. It's also involved in myelin development, which is the sheath around nerve cells, so deficiency can result in aches and pains, and worsen MS. It's involved in hydration of the skin, so a deficiency can be involved in premature wrinkling and dry skin. And it's a natural anti-depressant, so it can help a woman feel better. It's also used in bone development, so a deficiency can lead to osteoporosis. Estrogen is also beneficial to bones as it reduces the bone breakdown, but it's progesterone that stimulates new bone growth. Studies have shown that progesterone supplementation in postmenopausal women can dramatically slow down bone loss and increase bone density.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-10, 18:00
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

There are a few bHRT threads here on the forum.

I guess my question would be WHY you were put on HRT?

Were you having issues/symptoms, or was it just done "because".

I've been on bHRT--Tri-Est with prog for over a year. I LOVE IT! and it made a huge difference in my well-being.

Like ANY medication, you need to go into using HRT with full disclosure. It's not for everybody. But for me, "they" will have to pry it out of my cold dead hand before I'm giving it up.

I'll go see if I can find the few threads on bHRT.

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-10, 18:48
Experimenter

BF:

Do you use testosterone, Lisa?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-10, 19:57
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Do you use testosterone, Lisa?

I do not because I feel like I needed it.
Once I started on bHRT EVERYTHING seemed to align
If I remember correctly the conversation with the compounder, it doesn't need to be taken daily. I wish I could remember the specifics. But, I can give him a call and ask him. He is a HRT GOD!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-10, 10:04

BF:

I think I am going to just use the progesterone cream and the Femcare (estradiol vaginal tablets) for the dryness. I have seen a big change this week in all of my symptoms from the Armour. It's so hard to tell because hormonal symptoms all seem to overlap so it's hard to distinguish between thyroid hormone defiency and sex hormone defiency. I have gained 4 pounds (though it does appear to be water weight) and I can't tell what has caused it. I feel SOOOO much better than I have in a year, but I know that is the Armour and that was my reason for not continuing the pill form on the other two meds. I don't know about you guys, but already I have to take a BUNCH of pills (supplements mostly) and I just don't want to add anything else. The ND/MD of course wants me to buy into his regimen, which is a BUNCH more supplements. I think I need to work on the thyroid hormones and then try to get the female hormones "optimized".....or do I have that backwards???
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-10, 09:17
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I found progesterone got rid of the bloatedness for me. It improved a number of other issues I had since my 30s, but did restart normal periods. It took about 2 months to get rid of the bloatedness. I've been taking armour about 7 years. When my periods got erratic my thyroid levels were suddenly high.

Did you recently start on armour? Its weird but the female hormones and the thyroid do interact.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-10, 08:40
Every day is day one

BF:

The other thing I was looking at....

It could be the type of estrogen and the amount....

It could be that a therapy containing to much Estradiol could be causeing your side effect.

I use a combo of Estradiol, Estrone, and Estriol (Tri-Est) with the Estriol 80% of the compound.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-10, 09:26

BF:

Now I have switched to the Vagifem vaginal tablets and have backed off the progesterone cream. I am bloated and miserable and it seems like, since the progesterone causes a period to start, that this could be the source of my present problem.

I am just unsure of why my MD/ND thinks I have estrogen dominance. I read the symptoms in the links above and disagree. Yesterday, I saw my NP for a different issue and she disagreed with the naturopathic OB/GYN that I needed to keep having periods. I asked her to order some tests to see what my levels actually were. She said most of the time, they didn't test levels but treated by symptoms. I laughed and said "Yes - that is also what they SHOULD do with thyroid problems instead of relying on TSH!" However, I did want my levels tested and she wrote me up a lab sheet to get this info.

Nawchem - have only been on the Armour a week now. Do you think that caused the bloating? I feel SOOOO much better than I have in a year - except for the bloating. I did so many things at once, so it's going to be hard to tellI guess. Maybe I should address the thyroid and then add the other hormones later?
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-10, 23:29
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

There's a very good book on premenopause by John R. Lee that helped me a lot when things suddenly changed.

No, I don't think thyroid medication will make you bloat. Its one of the female hormones, my best guess estrogen is high relative to progesterone. Or the type of esterogen replacement you're using.

What you said originally about getting your thyroid right first makes sense to me.

The progesterone alone won't start a period, it is dependent on your estrogen levels also.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-10, 11:19

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I am glad I found this thread. Just yesterday I saw a new Dr. in the BodyLogicMD chain. It took a long time for me to come to the decision to see him. My longstanding issues are insomnia (lots of temporary solutions, but, like the cat in the song, it always comes back), hot flashes and weight gain, even on VLC.
He ordered blood and saliva tests and reviewed them with me yesterday. He has prescribed estriol, progesterone, testosterone, adrenal support, DHEA, and pregnenolone! This is a big step for me and I am planning on keeping more details in my journal, which I hope will be of interest to anyone here contemplating (or taking) bhrt. My journal will include more details, including my impressions of the BodyLogic clinic, costs, etc.

I wanted to rename my journal BodyLogic or BHRT experiences, or something like that, so that interested people could find it easily, but I can't see a way to do that.

Last edited by Nelson : Fri, Jul-30-10 at 11:26.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-10, 17:10
Experimenter

BF:

What're they doing for adrenal support, Nelson? I think that's my issue too.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-10, 10:44

BF:

I am taking ashwaganda for adrenal support and using HC cream. I know there are stronger things for that but haven't "delved" into the adrenal thing too much yet.

How's it going with the Armour Nancy?